Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vigil Games

Company »

Vigil Games was a company known for the well-received Darksiders and its impressive sequel. The studio was closed in 2013 after it failed to draw a buyer during THQ's bankruptcy auction.

Vigil Entertainment is no more.

• 97 results
    iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By iceman228433

:( That really sucks they did not deserve that fate.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By GunslingerPanda

What the shit? I kinda assumed they'd be safe; they were certainly the only THQ developer I care about at all.

Now I'm depressed.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By artelinarose

my poor heart

i cant take this

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Silver-Streak

Man, this really makes me sad. I loved Darksiders 1, really enjoyed Darksiders 2, and was exceedingly excited for Darksiders 3, since it was supposed to be the 4 player co-op one.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Deranged

This is brutal news. I truly enjoyed both Darksiders and will miss their work.

Senno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Senno

They were/are great developers and I hope their talent is recognised and they can continue making great games. This is a sad day for the industry and for gamers. I highly recommend getting either of the Darksiders games, they are a great deal of fun and can be picked up very cheaply.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Zebracal

Again, another sad news. I wish for the best for them.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58  Edited By Sackmanjones

Too lazy to get the link but I believe the lead designer tweeted that Darksiders 3 would have been a 4 player co op game. Bummer they didn't get picked up.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By aleryn

It's a damn shame. I didn't like Darksiders 2 as much as the first but they didn't deserve to be canned over the possible bad sales of the sequel. Regardless his post is a very classy way to tie up the end. I suspect the industry is hitting a wall of accountability in face of the crazy budgets of the past decade and I hope it reforms in a manner that is sustainable. Best of luck to former Vigil staff.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By J12088

@Voxel said:

Haydn Dalton, lead designer for both Darksiders games, said that Darksiders III would have had 4 player coop. Shame it never saw the light of day.

Thank god they wont be making it then.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#61  Edited By BeachThunder

;__; I really enjoyed both Darksiders games.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#62  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

Kinda wondered why sony didn't bring them into sony santa monica to help them out with God of War

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By triumvir

Not much to be said. It's a real fucking shame, dudes, a real fucking shame.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @J12088

@Voxel said:

Haydn Dalton, lead designer for both Darksiders games, said that Darksiders III would have had 4 player coop. Shame it never saw the light of day.

Thank god they wont be making it then.

Kind of a dick thing to say when it's jobs lost. I get that you're trolling but...come on.
    J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By J12088

@MariachiMacabre:I'm not trolling. Thank god. Couldn't careless about the jobs lost there talented enough to find work i wont be losing sleep over it and neither should you.

Unfortunately DS2 was a huge let down and never matched DS1. The difference was DS1 was a well crafted thought out game and DS2 was a giant mess that literally went no where (seriously by the end of DS2 you're right where you started at the end of DS1) so them going bigger and trying to work in 4 player co-op would of been horrible.

momofire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By momofire

@J12088 said:

@MariachiMacabre:I'm not trolling. Thank god. Couldn't careless about the jobs lost there talented enough to find work i wont be losing sleep over it and neither should you.

Unfortunately DS2 was a huge let down and never matched DS1. The difference was DS1 was a well crafted thought out game and DS2 was a giant mess that literally went no where (seriously by the end of DS2 you're right where you started at the end of DS1) so them going bigger and trying to work in 4 player co-op would of been horrible.

The STORYLINE was a huge let down from Darksiders 1 to 2. But the actual gameplay was way better and more refined. I was disappointed by the story for 2 after loving it in 1, but the game was still really fun to play.

RIP Vigil.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#67  Edited By DarthOrange
    @TheStandardToaster said:

Kinda wondered why sony didn't bring them into sony santa monica to help them out with God of War

That would have been great and in an alternate universe where 3D TVs really took off I could see Sony picking up some of THQ's studios. As it stands Sony doesn't have the cash, and they just shut down bigbig Studios, Zipper Interactive and Sony Liverpool last year.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By Milkman

Not really a Darksiders fan at all but this is still seriously depressing. It sucks when anyone has to lose their job but even more so when it's people who seem so passionate about their work.  

Pour one out.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By J12088

@momofire: The puzzles were non-existant as well. The bosses worse. The only upgrade was the combat system but frankly i wasn't playing DS1 cause of the combat. The combat did a good enough job that it kept me engaged.

If the trade off for a better combat system was the rest of the game suffers I'd rather they kept DS1 combat. Still doesn't matter. There gone now and maybe a new studio will rise up and try something new.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#70  Edited By Hailinel

@Marz said:

argh fucking a shame, why did no one buy them :(

Their next project was in too early a stage to quickly turn around for a profit, most likely.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

What is going on these days?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Hailinel

@J12088 said:

Jesus Christ. It's fine if you're not a fan of Darksiders, but celebrating their loss of employment is an asshole move. If you've never been laid off before, you don't know how painful that is.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#73  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Sad news. Hopefully Vigil Entertainment is picked up by another publisher and the staff can find jobs at other studios.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By EchoEcho

Man. This fucking sucks.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By clstirens

@Hailinel said:

@J12088 said:

Jesus Christ. It's fine if you're not a fan of Darksiders, but celebrating their loss of employment is an asshole move. If you've never been laid off before, you don't know how painful that is.

True, but he's forum trolling, so take it with a half a grain of salt.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By J12088

@Hailinel: Oh get off your high horse. I'm not celebrating them losing a job I'm celebrating them not making a crappy 4 player game.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Vexxan

Heartbreaking to read that good bye post, I really enjoyed Darksiders 1 and Darksiders 2 wasn't too bad either even though it introduced some stuff I felt was out of place.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Yummylee said:

Man, that's tough to swallow. So what happens to Darksiders? Does one of the higher ups take it with them or does some other company now own the rights? I imagine we're not going to be hearing about a Darksiders III for an awfully long while, if ever.

The IP will go to one of the creditors, it's almost impossible to say which and will likely be someone who isn't involved in making games and will never do anything with the licence. It's now literally impossible for there to ever be a Darksiders 3, unless somebody buys the licence.. which they would have done during this auction, if they wanted it.

Darksiders 2 was an immensely disappointing game, both sales and gameplay-wise, which I imagine is why nobody wanted to touch it. It's a shame, because I think they shot themselves in the foot by making a side story, to try and flesh out the universe, instead of going right in and making a proper co-op sequel featuring all of the horsemen. It felt like such unnecessary filler that it was hard to really enjoy, but I think if they were giving the chance to do a third game, they could have really hit out of the park. Such a shame, I do feel bad for these guys.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79  Edited By Sooty

So does this mean we can all just pirate Darksiders 2 because the money won't go anywhere?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Seppli

A crying shame. I loved Darksiders and Darksiders 2, and was anticipating their take on Warhammer 40k. Dark Millenium was shaping up to be right up my alley. I think they scaled it down from a true MMO to a comined arms type of online multiplayer game, along the lines of Battlefield. That would have been baller!

RIP Vigil Games.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By altairre

@J12088 said:

@Hailinel: Oh get off your high horse. I'm not celebrating them losing a job I'm celebrating them not making a crappy 4 player game.

And you know it would have been crappy because you're on the Internet.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Really surprised that this is the one that didn't get bought. I honestly think Sega would have been a good fit for them, since they have a huge catalogue of IPs that they're not doing anything with and would have been fun for Vigil to play with.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#83  Edited By nightriff

I'm depressed, how could someone not pick up this dev team? Doesn't make sense to me. RIP Vigil, you hold a special place for me in Darksiders.... should've bought the 2nd one, shit, my bad guys

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#84  Edited By Dagbiker

If no one bought the rights to Darksiders then the Bank still owns it. And we will probably never see it again.

nailmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By nailmon

Damn this sucks, I really liked Darksiders. Hope those effected land on there feet soon.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By iamjohn

@Dagbiker said:

If no one bought the rights to Darksiders then the Bank still owns it. And we will probably never see it again.

What's worse is that if this happens it's going to be way harder for people to go back and find it, just like with System Shock, because banks, insurance companies and credit agencies don't understand putting games for sale on Steam and making money off the properties they've been saddled with. :(

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#87  Edited By Tennmuerti

Kinda bummed out that this probably means that the Darksiders franchise is pretty much dead (unless someone resurrects it years from now). There was a lot of potential there. And also sad to see what are decent developers loose their jobs, likely because of just a few missteps with a single game, that then reduced the value of the team/ip.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5
    deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Platinum Games are interested in buying the Darksiders ip providing it's cheap enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darksiders is one of my favourite games ever.

It combined a ton of the things from games I grew up with in the 90's and brought them together in an incredibly cohesive way.

That the second didn't quite match the first is sad given that they won't be producing a third, but it's still a hell of a game.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By mpgeist

I didn't really like Darksiders, but I'm surprised they didn't get picked up by somebody.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#91  Edited By Vonocourt

Ben Cureton( guy from OP and lead combat designer) may be heading to Sony Santa Monica.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By TheFreeMan

This is sad. Darksiders was great. The second game had some problems but it was still a lot of fun and showed that Vigil had a lot of promise for another game in them. I hope everybody there lands on their feet.

This is no place for a horse. Sigh.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#93  Edited By fox01313

Best of luck to everyone from Vigil & cheers for all the great games they did.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By superfriend

What a goddamn shame. I think this happened because of THQ betting too big on the Darksiders franchise. It needed to be a big success and it wasn´t. Now it´s kinda considered a failure. Damn shame. I would have liked to see that story continued or even concluded.

@J12088 said:

so them going bigger and trying to work in 4 player co-op would of been horrible.

No it would probably have been awesome.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#95  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Another day, another developer. The industry is in a bit of a bad shape. I loved Darksiders, hope all them duders find new jobs and make more awesome games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Hailinel
    @J12088

Which is only not being made on account of everyone losing their jobs.
    SonsOfLiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By SonsOfLiberty

@Vonocourt said:

Ben Cureton( guy from OP and lead combat designer) may be heading to Sony Santa Monica.

Doesn't looks so, Platinum games is already contacting them and Hayden.

JP KellamsPG_jp

haydndalton hey man. If anyone is interested in working with/at Platinum let me know how to get ahold of you via DM.

verytragicPG_jphaydndalton Add me up. I'll send you my info via DM. =)

Also seen some tweets from Naughty Dog. Also hints of moving everyone from Vigil to Montreal via Ubisoft....eww but at least hope.

https://twitter.com/borbok

verytragic Ben if you or your colleagues are open to a relocation to Montreal let me know and we'll talk asap

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By emoney244

I NEED DARKSIDERS 3 PLEASE...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.