Virtua Fighter Kids is a 3D comedic fighting game developed by Sega-AM2 and released by Sega for arcades (running their Saturn-based Sega ST-V hardware) on February 1996.
A spin-off of Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Fighter Kids presents all characters in a super-deformed art style and features cartoonish remixes of the original game's backgrounds, sounds, and music.
It was later ported to the Sega Saturn on July 26, 1996. Along with some minor differences in gameplay and aesthetic, this version features new CG animation, an optional beginner mode ("Kids" mode, featuring auto-combos and auto-guard) and the ability to create pre-programmed combos.
All Japanese versions of the game include in-game advertising for the Java Tea brand of tea beverages. In addition, the Saturn version received a limited-edition promotional release for the drink (also known as Virtua Fighter Kids: Java Tea Original). Along with additional branding, this version acts like an extended demo, only allowing access to the basic Arcade and Versus modes.
The super-deformed versions of characters Akira and Sarah were later made playable in the 1996-1997 Saturn game Fighters Megamix as unlockables. Sega-AM2 also created a similar super-deformed fighting game with Sonic the Hedgehog characters (known as Sonic Championship).
The game includes 11 playable characters, all of whom return from Virtua Fighter 2.
- Akira Yuki (Martial arts teacher from Japan, fights with "Eight Extremities Fist" kung fu)
- Kage-Maru (Ninja from Japan, fights with jujutsu)
- Jacky Bryant (Indy car driver from the United States, fights with Jeet Kune Do)
- Sarah Bryant (College student from the United States, fights with Jeet Kune Do)
- Pai Chan (Movie star from Hong Kong, fights with "Lost Track Fist" kung fu)
- Lau Chan (Cook from China, fights with "Tiger-Swallow Fist" kung fu)
- Wolf Hawkfield (Professional wrestler from Canada, fights with professional wrestling)
- Jeffry McWild (Fisherman from Australia, fights with pancratium)
- Shun-Di (Herbal doctor from China, fights with "Drunken Fist" kung fu)
- Lion Rafale (High school student from France, fights with "Praying Mantis Fist" kung fu)
- Dural (Mysterious gynoid and the game's bonus boss using techniques from all other fighters, only playable with cheat codes)