Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Virtual Console

Concept »

The Virtual Console is a platform service that first appeared on Nintendo's Wii and later on the 3DS and Wii U. Games from past consoles are emulated to run on the new hardware with the added benefits of system-level save states and other features.

Virtual Console No Longer NOA's Focus

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

A customer service representative for Nintendo, has revealed that WiiWare has become the primary focus for Nintendo of America. This is after disgruntled US Nintendo fans sent emails inquiring just why no classic games are being released at frequency they have come to expect prior.

We understand your concern about the lack of service on the VC as of late. Due to sales numbers being far greater recently on WiiWare than on Virtual Console, we have decided to steer in the direction of WiiWare.

Also, we in America have NO plans to update the Internet Channel or the Nintendo Channel. We hope you understand.

...Hardly a great source, some customer service rep, still, there is truth to this.

Thanks to Nintendo Life

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By thordain

Well I guess I can't blame Nintendo. They have a ton of titles available already and there are actually some decent games on Wiiware now if I'm not mistaken. If they have most of their bases covered with the virtual console and want to focus more on expanding their wiiware stuff, then I'm alright with it.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By albedos_shadow

So, they've decided to focus on shitty shovelware WiiWare games, and abandon the classics that I might actually buy? *sigh*

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By StarFoxA

EarthBound... ;-;

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

They're making my childhood cry.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

In their defense, I can't imagine some of the licensing nightmares releasing some of the older games must cause.  If the release infrequent quality games for Virtual Console, I'm good.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Godwind

Perhaps it became less profitable because they released crap games most people aren't interested in?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By JJOR64

I read about that and I'm fucking pissed.  I would rather have awesome VC games then WiiWare games.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

Me too, because the majority of what's been released on WiiWare so far has been weak. (-don't get me started on DSiWare -took a look this morning) There has been no quality control as promised, it seems they have let any crappy developer make games and still charge a high price for it.

@JJOR64 said:

" I read about that and I'm fucking pissed.  I would rather have awesome VC games then WiiWare games. "

I'm not even American but even I was angry, especially because of that last bit which is so bad it borders on the comical.  It's so sad also that fans have to get secondary information from a sole understanding customer service rep who breaks out of line. And not from official spokesperson or senior figures. Why does the Wii not have a offical newletter still?!

Another anger inducing story coming up later.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By CowMuffins
    @Godwind said:
    " Perhaps it became less profitable because they released crap games most people aren't interested in? "
    So true.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yes, I was going to say the same in the OP, but left you all to draw that obvious conclusion.

I think I may send a e-mail of my own soon.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't think customer service would even be filled in on this kind of information.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By AgentJ
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " I don't think customer service would even be filled in on this kind of information. "
    Having been a game tester at NOA, I think you'd be suprised.

This breaks my heart into shreds. The VC lineup has been absolute crap ever since Majoras mask came out. No shit the sales have been bad when you aren't releasing games that are any good! There's still so many titles that need to make their way to the service. Here's a thought: Dont bother releasing games every week. Instead, make it every two-four weeks, but make them actually worthwhile games! Like Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma, Super Smash Bros, or the like. 
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Godwind

I can understand a bit where they are coming from with the release of some of these obscure games.  A lot games are probably games most people never played.  I am certain there are some games people never played.  However, most people are going to be more interested in the popular ones, something most people would be satisfied with.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ThomasP

That sucks. There are so many more games I'm willing to buy. Don't stop now.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Systech
    @StarFoxA said:
    " EarthBound... ;-; "
    Eeeeeeeexactly.
    Shermanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shermanator

So many games I want to play will never be released, owell.  Guess its finally time to get rid of the wii

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.