Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Virtual Console

Concept »

The Virtual Console is a platform service that first appeared on Nintendo's Wii and later on the 3DS and Wii U. Games from past consoles are emulated to run on the new hardware with the added benefits of system-level save states and other features.

Was "Virtual Console" a dumb name?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Was "Virtual Console" a dumb name? (85 votes)

Yeah, pretty dumb. 18%
    It's not great but it works. 35%
    No, it was cool. 45%
    Poll 2%

Jeff's mentioned many times over the years how dumb the term "Virtual Console" was and that always surprised me. I always thought it was a cool label for the emulated retro game catalog but am I alone on this?

• 
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It was a fine name. It communicated the idea that you had a virtual version of those consoles you could buy games for. It encouraged collecting and made it clear those games were for other, older machines (because you couldn't have a virtual 360 on a Wii.)

Compared to other Nintendo names (Wii U caused huge damage and probably cost millions of units in sales) Virtual Console is pretty perfect.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think it's dumb insofar as it's a strange way to conceptualize software.

i mean i get it- if you're trying to express the idea to someone who doesn't broadly understand how hardware/software works, calling emulated software a 'virtual console' title kinda sorta communicates the idea. but if it were me i would have just gone with words like 'criterion' or 'classic' or 'legacy' or 'vault,' thereby putting the emphasis on the importance of the software vs. the physical device it came from.

just a matter of taste, though.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: I mean...it would be a better way to deliver old games to players if it were actually delivering a sufficient number of the right old games.

2 NES games a month, many of which are terrible games nobody would play, ain't doing it for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard a lot worse, at least it gives a reasonable sense of what it actually is, unlike the Xbox names... although at least I have absolutely zero clue what they'll call the next gen Xbox, so I have a surprise to look forward to I guess...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I thought it was totally fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dumb name because whenever i hear the name i think its a subscription service

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The name is whatever, my issue is people misunderstand what is really is. Then again Nintendo and terrible names for things are kind of par for course at this point. Just like Nintendo calling indie games on their platform Nindies. It's a cringy, terrible stupid name and anyone using it makes me want to kick in the face.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.