Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Virtual Reality

Concept »

Games that have you going into a computer generated virtual universe.

Are there many other duders who have a Rift / Vive?

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have my Rift preordered and should be arriving in a couple of weeks. Just wondering what the adoption rate has been within the GB community as I haven't seen much in the way of forum posts here.

I have been absolutely fascinated with the Reddit shipping thread. It's been full of delving into developer consoles to get order times to the second, tables and graphs mixed with conspiracy theories to divine when orders will be arriving, Palmer jumping in with some smack talk and what seems like a deep dive into the distribution network of UPS.

Anyone have any opinions on the delays? I'm taking a "well, it's only a few weeks delay and I'm sure I'll survive" approach to it. Most of the views on Reddit and the Oculus forums are either Oculus can do what they like or Oculus may as well have come round and killed their beloved pet. Would like some nice sane Giant Bomb views on this

OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Vive. I'm glad I went for it and the included touch controllers (the main reason I decided on it vs the Rift). HTC did a much better job getting the HMD's out as I ordered six days (3/5 order date) after preorders went live and got my Vive on 5/2 while I see some Rift preorders have still not shipped.

Reddit is harsh and there are some who snipe between the two HMD's. Of course I'm more into the Vive discussion but pop over to the Rift side to get a sense of the room. I think they had to moderate that subreddit quite a bit to keep things somewhat civil when the shipping delays happened. Everyone wants their stuff right now and I saw lots of Vive posts also complaining about shipping.

So far I've yet to see a game that is "I must have this right now!" but enjoy playing AudioShield and HoloBall.

I am lucky to have a good sized play space of 2.8x2.8 meters or 10ftx10ft to use the Vive in.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Huh. I ordered day of and haven't gotten my vive yet. Really looking forward to it though.

noscope420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vive owner here, got mine in yesterday and setup and played for 3 hours last night, was well worth the money imo but I fully expect it to be a niche community for a few years. I think in 2 years when the average home computer can run this stuff and cheaper Gen 2 or 3 headsets are out it'll be more commonplace. Loved the giantbomb streams btw, I know it turned some folks off but the minor hassles are worth it if you know what you're getting into.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-ordered the Rift the MORNING they first allowed pre-orders, and my estimated ship date is mid- to late-summer! So, I wonder if really anyone outside of VIPs, press & kickstarter backers got theirs yet?

Anyway, I'm still quite torn between the Rift and Vive. Even though the Vive is a bit better on paper, and has the controllers out sooner than the Rift... I just don't trust HTC that much. Having owned a few of their products in the past, they seem to abandon hardware very quickly and software (drivers, GUIs, etc) is NOT their niche - in fact they kinda suck at software.

I have a feeling in the long run, after the (supposedly?) better controllers come out for the Rift, it might be the better, or more widely adopted, choice. I could definitely be wrong there though! I am glad to hear that pretty much all games so far work on both, though having to rely on hacks for the Vive to run Rift exclusives is another reason I'm probably gonna stick with the Rift unless my pre-order gets delayed any longer.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My Vive arrived Tuesday last week (I placed my order an hour after pre-orders went live) and it seems preeetty cool.

I've only used it twice though as it literally arrived in the middle of me doing all this track day/racing stuff with my car so all my free time has been spent working on that and when I want to sit down and relax (HAH!) I've been pushing through Dark Souls 3 (about 60 hours now and near the end I believe)

Took me some time to setup as I had to decide where I could put the Lighthouses, figure out if drilling into the walls was a good idea, deal with the garbage wall anchors it comes with and partially substitute my own, realize my PC (which I have in my room upstairs normally and had to bring down for this) doesn't have wifi built in so I had to run out at 9 pm to pickup a wireless usb thing, get it all setup on the software side (which was pretty quick and easy), play it for like an hour-ish and then go to bed because early work tomorrow and track event afterwards.

I did set it up again (which at this point was just bringing my PC downstairs and plugging it in) on my next day off and spent a few more hours with it. I definitely had "Holy f**k... this is so stupid" moments fairly regularly while using it.. and that's stupid as in.. I-can't-believe-this-is-real-and-I'm-doing-this kind of stupid..The transforming room in the initial setup tutorial also gave me a jump scare..

Job Simulator was cool, I only did the Mechanic one though because I work on my own stuff/work at a dealership etc.. Its something I'm familiar with. Tilt Brush was really neat to look at but I'm not much of an artist. I plan to try that one out on my sister. The Blu was fairly simple but cool. The whale thing wasn't a freaky experience like others' seemed to have but the Abyss one was it for me. That was super cool and freaky being in the pitch black and realizing I had a flashlight thing. Seeing the particles floating in the water around me really made me feel like I was there. The Lab was very well polished and presented, as demonstrated in GB's coverage. That 3D shooter thing, whatever it was called, was awesome. The way that handles, the 3D effect, the little chamber it takes place in.. I felt like I was jacked into some kind of future game in a futuristic arcade. Really cool. The archery/castle defense one was also awesome. Norm on Tested made it look easy and my arm was dying after 10 mins or so but I wanted to keep going. Felt really cool. Both of those games I'd love to see bigger, full-blown games made out of. The Tracer Core slingshot thing was also neat although less flashy. Was a fun puzzle thing like Boom Blox or something. And finally I finished up the session with the Budget Cuts demo. It said my play space was too small (8'x7' or something and it wanted something more square) but I was able to play it anyway. Couldn't quite get the hang of the throwing knives. I should've spent some time practicing on a wall but didn't. I absolutely had a moment where I killed one, another spotted me and came running, I got into position by crouching and hiding behind a corner, popped out and botched the knife throw, instinctively pulled back to dodge the incoming fire and attempted to lean on the virtual wall where I momentarily lost balance and laughed to myself and then died. I really thought that wall was there haha

Only negatives I guess are that the screen door effect is noticeable and is the only thing that felt like it kept me from completely believing I was in these environments. Its not some horribly offensive effect that ruins everything.. it just keeps an awesome experience from becoming a 99% immersive, transportive experience. And its hard to scratch your nose or eye when you're in it.. and of course you just somehow become more itchy only when you wear it haha

So what I really want now is to try VR with the cockpit style games as that is a huge reason I ordered both of these headsets. I have Elite Dangerous and a HOTAS setup and a wheel/pedal setup. I can't decide whether it is worth moving all that stuff upstairs (Im pretty lazy and kinda busy) and trying to get it setup? Or just wait until my Rift arrives and use that as my seated/cockpit setup at my desk. Unfortunately, my Rift has an estimated ship date of first half of June or something, even though I ordered it a couple hours after pre-orders went up.

DeadPanJazMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Vive came on Tuesday; only just set it up Saturdya. Never tried VR before so I'm still in the mind blown phase. My only first-world VR problem is getting used to the boundaries. Because of the way the Vive software picks out the best space from the one you trace out it's kinda unnerving because when the grid appears; some areas there is actually a small area I could keep moving to and go slightly past the grid, but then others the grid is literally THE WALL and I've wrapped my knuckles a couple times already; oh well, we must suffer for the future!

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I was past the "mind blown" phase, but then I played Portal Stories: VR... Probably the best game for the Vive I've tried so far, and it's a completely free mod (albeit a very short one), but holy shit that elevator ride at the end.

TrinketNPinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose I'll purchase HTC Vive someday but as of now I can't find a single game supporting it that would interest me.

OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you haven't yet please replace the straps on the controllers as many people have reported them failing leading to damaged controllers or tv's or whatever they hit. I felt I didn't see anyway I'd even every need the straps but playing Holoball I didn't think for a second and had little pressure holding the controller and it slipped out of my hand, lucky for me I have upgraded straps that held quite well. Reddit posters like the Wii remote straps for replacements.

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems there are a lot more Vives out in the wild. All the hassle going on with oculus made me think about switching over but finding even a 4foot by 4 foot space in my home seems unlikely. Current shipping is a few minutes past my order time so hopefully won't be too long until I can try some of your suggestions. Cheers duders

OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems there are a lot more Vives out in the wild. All the hassle going on with oculus made me think about switching over but finding even a 4foot by 4 foot space in my home seems unlikely. Current shipping is a few minutes past my order time so hopefully won't be too long until I can try some of your suggestions. Cheers duders

I can see your point about the space requirements but also realize that you can use the Vive sitting down or standing up in one location. Roomscale is nice of course but it is the controllers that make a big difference. Being able to reach out and interact with objects is pretty cool. I hope the Rift controllers get out there soon, still no word as far as I know about release date and price.

mrhector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got my Vive a couple weeks ago and running surprisingly well on my old GTX 780 atm. Diggin it so far and just waiting for better availability of the 1080s up in Canada. Looking forward to trying out some of the more demanding stuff.

nyberrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oculus Rift arrived yesterday (finally) - it's cool, not overly blown away. I suffer a tad from queasy stomach it appears!

Selidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally got my Vive a couple weeks back. I have a large 20 x 15 foot room that I've turned solely into a VR room and I absolutely love it so far. Sure most of the games are small or even borderline tech demos, but the freshness is still there for me. Really it just makes me very excited for the future of VR.

I'll get an Oculus when the supply issues clear up.

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice to see Oculus are finally catching up. Mine is finally due today! Had quite a panic moment last night when I installed the usb3 card and must have dislodged a ram stick and couldn't get any video to output.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

I have a Rift. It's pretty awesome, but like GB has pointed out, there is a lack of content (for VR in general) and the prices of that content are quite high right now. I can't wait for touch to come out and for prices and games to sort of even out as well. The medium shows a lot of promise.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Im waiting for the price to drop....on cardboard VR.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't taken mine off since I got it.

I'm checked out of VR for now until it's better established, and not as much as a bank breaker. It looks cool as hell, but definitely a luxury I can't afford. If I did somehow find myself with a VR headset, it would probably be a PSVR.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
    reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got my Vive right in that first month they were shipping them. I haven't had the time to really get into anything, and have just been basically showing it to people breathlessly for the past few months whenever I haven't been working. There are some really incredible things you can do with VR; being in space (like, literally floating in deep space) is an incredibly surreal experience, and just using your hands in a virtual space allows you to do some really great things that nothing else has let you do before now, no matter how much like a Wiimote the controllers may seem.

The thing VR really brings to the table, though, is finally forcing developers to make games that run at 90 FPS. VR gets you into a virtual space that has depth and scale unlike anything else, but the thing that makes a game really feel... well, real is a rockin' framerate and a screen that supports it. Low latency probably helps a bit, too. It's really weird, but it's made me miss gaming on a high refresh rate CRT monitor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.