Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Virtual Reality

Concept »

Games that have you going into a computer generated virtual universe.

Bourgeoisie Bullcrap (Clickbait... That's self referential)

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By Rasgueado

So... I've been pretty lucky the last few years. I've worked/lucked myself into a position I like that pays an ok wage. I've met an amazing person that... I really can't envision life without at this point. I've been able to move into an apartment that... I have no idea how such an amazing place is possible. I've also had to work so much this year, that of my 7 weeks of vacation (boo hoo for me right), I had to get paid out for 3 of them (carrying over 2).

With that end-of-year influx of cash... I decided to splurge and... I bought a Vive. Wow!

So... full disclosure that I was already fully prepared to enjoy this medium. I really wanted it after I tested an Oculus DK-2 with Elite: Dangerous. I am a fully primed person to want to push this platform to the maximum possible!

Almost a year into release when I bought the hardware... I was impressed by how simple it was to setup, and also that they *actually* bothered to include everything you might need in the box. I was also impressed by the software...

That last statement requires some... qualification. I bought it at a point when Thumper got the update to include PC VR... I already owned Elite: Dangerous... the free titles available were slight but... AWESOME! I mean... Xortex is... genuinely a cool experience.

My foray into VR is only a few hours long by this point. It has been... thrilling, and awesome. I love the experiences, and desperately want the price to come down so everyone else can play this too. I *vehemently* believe not all games should be played in VR... that's crazy. I do still think that everyone should be able to have this experience. It's visceral and awesome in ways I didn't appreciate until I could spend as long as I wanted to in the playspace (to be fair... so far that is about 4 hours of time as I bought my Vive roughly 5 hours before leaving town for 11 days).

What's the point of this? Well... I just wanted to chime in that I feel like VR right now... is important and needs to be supported. I'm not going to ask that anyone break any banks for it, because... that's equally crazy. That being said... I feel like it is an important platform, and something that will, hopefully, improve over time.

For now... just know tha the setup process for the Vive was easy, and very user friendly. If you're wondering what to pick well... I still can't help you. The Vive was a great choice for me because of the space I have... but that might not be the same for you.

Edit: Thanks moderator... if you were going to move this post, it would have been better in the general VR section than the specific one.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nnickers

You make a lot of money, love ellipses, and threw some vague praise for VR in there. Did I get that right?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this post is existing on levels of irony I can barely comprehend.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

This post seems like it's above my pay grade.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when the revolution comes- the vives will be the first to fall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6
    deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't own any VR platforms, but I have tried them all at various events. I had the feeling that current VR is something substantial even if the experience is not perfect right now. The hardware feels like it will fit into the smaller, faster, better, cheaper cycle that other consumer electronics fall into.

I can't wait for the first "killer app" (I'm old, forgive me) that pushes VR over the top.

Congrats on having money! Its a nice feeling. For some reason people on the internet always seem super poor. Probably the over representation of college students or something.

"Let them eat Vive!"

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Expected more discussion of class struggle tbh.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers said:

You make a lot of money, love ellipses, and threw some vague praise for VR in there. Did I get that right?

No, yes, and yes.

So about 67.7% correct.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Expected more discussion of class struggle tbh.

Fair enough... I made the title because I have moments about where I live that I would have absolutely rebelled at 5 years ago when I was living on the east side of Vancouver. Being able to afford one of these things because I couldn't take any time off this year was one of those moments.

Class is a big deal, and I try hard to recognize and remember the struggles I went through, and what other people constantly go through. The amount of hate people have for others that are receiving aid will never cease to astound me.

Best article I've read recently on the subject is here: http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/12/07/what-we-talk-about-when-we-talk-about-class/

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By mike
    @rasgueado said:

Edit: Thanks moderator... if you were going to move this post, it would have been better in the general VR section than the specific one.

No problem. Next time no profanity or click bait in thread titles, especially if you are going to post it in General. Users should have a general idea on what your topic is about without having to click on it.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rasgueado

I'll take your first point about profanity, my bad. I'll voice exception to your assertion that a user wouldn't have reasonable expectation of the content in the blog post. The entire thing is basically bourgeoisie crap, but it was referencing myself not someone else. I'm not going to argue with you about it, but those are my feelings on the subject.

@mike said:
    @rasgueado said:

No problem. Next time no profanity or click bait in thread titles, especially if you are going to post it in General. Users should have a general idea on what your topic is about without having to click on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.