Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Virtual Reality

Concept »

Games that have you going into a computer generated virtual universe.

So I saw an interesting concept today...

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I had a chance to check out a unique concept for VR today, called Turris VR.

My local town has a large art convention going on right now. While I was checking it out earlier, I saw there was a PC with a VR setup. The artist was using a Samsung Odyssey (Windows VR) headset with his project, which I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of.

What he had developed, however, was a bit more interesting;

He took digital scans of the third floor of the building we were in, and was working on completing the second floor. He then wanted to create a VR experience that could be used for individuals who maybe couldn't get up a few flights of stairs (this was an at-one-time abandoned building with no disability accommodations) to give them a room-space type experience where they could explore this full exhibit, without physically needing to go there. This, also, has been done before.

But what I saw that appeared new to me was his idea for handling locomotion in VR, and I was immediately impressed. This could be the solution for motion in VR in games going forward, if handled correctly. The premise is that you wear a sensor on your chest that determines your full range of body motion, and you experienced walking through the environment in a seated position. In order to walk forward, you simply lean forward - to walk back, you lean back. To turn, you rotated your chair to the left or right, and the sensor would turn you in a full range of motion. The further you leaned, the faster you moved. (He later told me that this build had been limited in movement speed, as he had seen maybe 3 people prior to myself with any VR experience, and wanted to avoid motion sickness.)

They had previously tested a concept where you sat on a VR-chair, but this proved to be impractical for most settings.

To me, this concept was impressive - you didn't need to use a controller, you weren't limited to teleporting from point to point, and it successfully decoupled your ability to look around freely yet also move freely. I could continue walking forward, but look and see what was on my right, and vice versa. It's a fucking rad concept, and I think more things in VR should consider trying it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.