Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Visceral Games

Company »

Visceral Games was an internal development studio for EA, best known for their Dead Space series. The company was shut down by EA on October 17th, 2017.

Visceral Games Melbourne shutting down?!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

In case you haven't heard there have been rumors on Visceral games Melbourne shutting down! Here is the link to the article.

Quote - In August this year, THQ confirmed the closure of both its Australian development studios--Blue Tongue and Brisbane's THQ Studios Australia--due to a global restructure of its internal framework.
    It now appears EA may be going the same route with the Australian arm of its Visceral Games studio. According to the Melbourne chapter of the International Game Developers Association, IGDA Melbourne, EA Visceral Melbourne staff will meet with human resources personnel this coming Monday, September 19, to discuss the studio's closure.
    "More sad news emerging about #EAVisceral Melbourne studio closure," the IGDA chapterposted on its Twitter account. "Happy to help all affected in any way we can."
    EA Visceral Melbourne worked on Dead Space, Godfather 2, and Dante's Inferno. According to EA's website, the studio has been working on an unannounced AAA title based on new intellectual property.
    An EA representative told GameSpot that the company does not comment on rumours.

It is very sad if this it true, I think Australia has great potential when it comes to game development shown with games like LA Noire but having Australian studios shut down is obviously not going to help game development here! What do you guys think of the situation?

RedLycra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RedLycra

Praising the studio work of L.A. Noire seems a bit silly considering how much shit came out of that.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @RedLycra

Praising the studio work of L.A. Noire seems a bit silly considering how much shit came out of that.

Seeing as how a similar thing happened with Red Dead Redemption I'm not sure it was all Team Bondi's fault. It was definitely some of their fault, but it seems weird both games had the same issue and are both published by Rockstar.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeF

@NekuSakuraba said:

@RedLycra

Seeing as how a similar thing happened with Red Dead Redemption I'm not sure it was all Team Bondi's fault. It was definitely some of their fault, but it seems weird both games had the same issue and are both published by Rockstar.

I read NekuSakuraba's comment as praise for the sheer talent of those people involved in the actual game making, not as a co-sign for the shady business practices on the management side of things.

RedLycra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RedLycra

@DeF said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@RedLycra

I read NekuSakuraba's comment as praise for the sheer talent of those people involved in the actual game making, not as a co-sign for the shady business practices on the management side of things.

I didn't.

x

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrockNRolla

Visceral Melbourne are the folks that brought you great game's like Dante's Inferno and another project that evidently wasn't good enough to see the light of day. I'm not terribly surprised. But yes, it is sad to see a developer shut down.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

Always wondered if there's every really going to be a Dante's Inferno sequel. The game didn't do all too well in relation to the effort put into it. They even had blur studious (I think it's them) do high quality cinematics for the game and not just the trailers. Marketing also was off the roof. Oh and similar to Dead Space they even had to realize a super bad anime movie.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @DeF

@NekuSakuraba said:

@RedLycra

You read my comment right, good sir!
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeF

@BrockNRolla said:

Visceral Melbourne are the folks that brought you great game's like Dante's Inferno and another project that evidently wasn't good enough to see the light of day. I'm not terribly surprised. But yes, it is sad to see a developer shut down.

Visceral Melbourne are also the folks who brought you the awesome Dead Space 2. They're all working on the games together with the main-Visceral Studio so no need to single them out for a game few people like.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Otogi

@DeF said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Visceral Melbourne are also the folks who brought you the awesome Dead Space 2. They're all working on the games together with the main-Visceral Studio so no need to single them out for a game few people like.

Were they also the dudes that were responsible for those awful ad campaigns?

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Getz

@NekuSakuraba said:

@RedLycra

The common link is that they were both high stakes projects that had already spent an incredibly long time in development. In that situation, shitty working conditions are a tempting solution by managers to get their product out of the door to stop bleeding money. Rockstar had nothing to do with Team Bondi's management practices; that was all McNamara.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DeF

@Otogi said:

@DeF said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Were they also the dudes that were responsible for those awful ad campaigns?

You know that ad campaigns are handled by marketing people and not game developers, right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.