Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Voice Acting

Concept »

Voice Acting is the art of providing voices for characters in games, television shows, films, radio programs, and other forms of media.

Two questions involving voice acting.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#1 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Got into a discussion concerning the FFX voice acting (specifically the laughing scene) and I started wondering two things:

1. What was the first game to feature voice acting?

2. When did voice acting really start to become prominent?

I feel like the answer to question 2 is sometime around the PS1 era, but I'm not entirely certain.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

The wiki page says Wild Gunman in 1974 was the first game to feature voice acting.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

There was voice acting in arcade game I think. Sinistar may be one of the first? I don't know. The PS1/N64 era seems to be where it stuck.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#4 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I must have skimmed over that part.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Some PC RPG's had a bit of voice acting before the PS1/N64 era, but I don't know exactly how prominent it was. The PS1/N64 era is probably the best time period to peg "rise of video game voice acting".

First video game with voice acting? I don't know. That seems like one of those things that would devolve into inane arguments about how understandable it is and whether or not two words counts and whether or not the voice acting had to be done by a voice actor or the programmer with the best voice.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I think ps2 was the generation where it became weird not to have voice acting.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I remember being blown away that Star Fox 64 had voice acting.

I do seem to remember a LOT of it in the Psone/N64 era. Unless it was a final fantasy game. They were already 4 discs without any VA. One could argue that was for the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.