Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vortigaunt

Concept »

Vortigaunts are an extra-dimensional sentient alien species seen in every Half-Life game to date.

HL2: Ep 2 Vortigaunts - What makes them so different?

Josh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Josh

This is something I've wondered for quite a while since Episode 2 was released.

Obviously the Vorts in Ep 2 are quite different than the Vorts from Half-Life 2. They look significantly different, they are noticeably more bad ass, and their voice has changed as well. (Louis Gossett, Jr. for the HL2 vorts and Tony Todd for the Ep 2 vorts)

All of these changes lead me to conclude that the Vortigaunts in Episode 2 are younger, healthier, fit members of the species. Their skin and musculature are toned and lean, their dialogue is faster, cleaner, and higher in decible (slightly) than their previous versions, and I think the fact that they just simply go out of their way to kick some ass leads some evidence to the theory, although admittedly Valve didn't really show them engaging in much combat in HL2.

Somewhat to counter my own argument, while the Vorts Gordon encounters out in the wild could be said to be younger, it stands to reason that the Vorts he runs into at White Forest, which feature the same shiny new skin and sleak look, would be older, and thus more involved in working on the Scientific pursuits of the resistance than their younger counterparts.

I really don't know what to think. Are the Vortigaunts in Episode 2 simply a re-skinning of the classic Vort with Tony Todd voice acting because Gossett Jr wasn't available, or did Valve intentionally do this to show off a youthful version of the species?

I think someone needs to write a letter to Mark Laidlaw.

senkir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By senkir

I would imagine that the Vortigaunt condition as a whole would have improved after becoming freed in the first Half-Life.  Perhaps the independence allowed them to resume practicing old Vort traditions of some kind (i like to pretend they play some kind of energy ball soccer).  Perhaps they are just better nourished?

anyway, in episode 2 it sounded like they were looking for something.  i can't remember exactly what they said, but it seemed like they were either looking for more of their kind, or some sort of leader.  am i misinterpreting?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

The Vorts in Ep2 are noticably more badass and look a lot more shiney, sleak and defined. But i think thats down to engine updates more than them being younger. I'd also say the the reason for their more offensive and confident personalities is down to Gordon Freeman. By the time of Ep2 the combine in City 17 have had one major beating all dealt by a single man, the one Freeman who the Vorts seem to hold in very high esteem, almost like a deity or prophet? I mean afterall we're seeing the Resistance in full open war with the Combine now and thats got to boost the morale of everyone, Vorts included, when Gordon drops by to say hello and resupply before smashing more Combine skulls with his crowbar.

I'd say the changes we see in the Vorts during Ep2 are story driven and Valve re-skinned these guys to benefit from the update to the Source engine. Probably because they realised since for a large part of the game you are in their company its better they look good than be the uglier and less appealing older models from HL2.

But for sure if anything can be learnt about Vorts in Ep2 its that they can kick some serious arse with their green energy beams.

Errorsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Errorsol

The updated Vort textures were added to the PS3 and 360 version of the original HL2 and Ep1. The PC version has yet to get the graphical update for HL2 and Ep1.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hamz
    Errorsol said:
    "The updated Vort textures were added to the PS3 and 360 version of the original HL2 and Ep1. The PC version has yet to get the graphical update for HL2 and Ep1.
    "
    We have mods, so its already available really. And specifically we have FakeFactory's cinematic mod :D!
    Josh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Josh
    senkir said:
    "I would imagine that the Vortigaunt condition as a whole would have improved after becoming freed in the first Half-Life.  Perhaps the independence allowed them to resume practicing old Vort traditions of some kind (i like to pretend they play some kind of energy ball soccer).  Perhaps they are just better nourished?

anyway, in episode 2 it sounded like they were looking for something.  i can't remember exactly what they said, but it seemed like they were either looking for more of their kind, or some sort of leader.  am i misinterpreting?
    "
    The idea of energy ball soccer played by Vorts is brilliant and hilarious. I want to see that. I believe the Vorts in Ep 2 were searching for Combine Advisors that hadn't yet "hatched" from their escape pods.

Errorsol said:
    "The updated Vort textures were added to the PS3 and 360 version of the original HL2 and Ep1. The PC version has yet to get the graphical update for HL2 and Ep1.
    "
    See, now this I didn't know about. I guess that supplies a definite answer. Shit! I liked the idea of younger Vorts. It made sense what with the graphical and personality changes. Thanks a lot, Errorsol! You enjoy telling children that Santa Claus is a filthy lie, too?!

Hamz
    said:
    "Errorsol said:
    "
    We have mods, so its already available really. And specifically we have FakeFactory's cinematic mod :D!
    "
    I really need to get that damned mod installed.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hamz

FakeFactory's mod is very hit or miss in that its such an awesome mod you believe its official until you see the bugs and remember its just fanmade. It has issues with computers running less than 3GB ram and 32bit OS's so be warned and expect crashes if you don't meet those requirements :P

Josh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Josh

I'm on a 3 year old system with an 8 month old vid card but it can run Crysis as max detail settings (non directx-10) very smoothly, and I've got 4 gigs of ram, but I'm running XP 32 so I probably won't bother with it until I build my new system or decide to find a copy of XP 64...sigh

Botolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Botolf

Whatever the reason, I hope the Episode Two vorts are here to stay. They're badass beyond words.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.