Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warframe

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 25, 2013

From the studio that co-created the Unreal series comes a free-to-play third-person Loot Shooter pitting a group of superhuman warriors (in advanced exo-armor systems known as "Warframes") against a hostile universe.

Destiny, Division and Borderlands players, have you played Warframe?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Poll Destiny, Division and Borderlands players, have you played Warframe? (174 votes)

Yeah, I played it less than a week ago. 7%
    Yeah, every now and then. Not as much as I used to. 9%
    I did for a while, but I kind of got burnt out. I think I'm done with that game. 16%
    I did for a while. I should probably go back to it and see what's been added. 10%
    I would like to play it, but my friends don't seem interested in trying it. 1%
    I tried it, but I didn't really care for the game. 26%
    I tried it, but it seemed like it would require a lot of grinding. 16%
    I tried it, but it seemed too confusing for me. 3%
    No, the fact that it's free to play kind of turns me off. 5%
    No, it doesn't look like a game I'd enjoy. 3%
    No, it seems like it would require a lot of grinding. 4%
    No, this thread is the first I've heard of the game. 1%

I went back to Warframe recently for the first time since they added space battles--meaning I never played with the new movement system--and it's pretty crazy how much has been added to that game over time. I remember back when there were only about three or four environments in that game, and now there's quite a bit of variety. The new mission types are pretty good, and there's a huge amount of new classes, weapons, and other gear.

It also feels like it's now easier to play far more of the game as a solo player. If that's actually true, it's a welcome change.

For anyone looking to get into the game, I'd recommend this you tube series as a guide:

Personally, I agree with all of the choices in that video, except for the starting frame. Excalibur is a good choice, but I'd recommend Mag. Mag's pull ability is just too darn useful, and is a perfect low energy cost "panic button" that can immediately stop the enemies in front of you from attacking for several seconds. Unless you're fighting a boss, the crowd control it offers never stops being useful at any point in the game.

If you think Excalibur looks way cooler or whatever, he's still a good choice. He just isn't my first choice.

Anyhow, Warframe. Have you played it? If not, why not? If you have played it, why did you stop? Are you thinking about starting again? Or maybe you're playing it right now.

• 
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played it a lot for almost a year. I took a few months break from it. Came back and found out they removed Mag Prime suit. After that it pretty much sucked my will to keep playing. That was the only suit I ever cared about.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai said:

I played it a lot for almost a year. I took a few months break from it. Came back and found out they removed Mag Prime suit. After that it pretty much sucked my will to keep playing. That was the only suit I ever cared about.

What? That doesn't make a lot of sense. You don't mean that you earned and built it, and then they took it from you, right? I'm guessing that you were working towards collecting the parts, and then they removed those prime pieces from the drop tables, correct?

Yeah, that does happen in this game. There are certainly plenty of things that are only available for a limited time.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I gave the game a go back around the PS4's launch. It was kind of janky and aimless at that point. Good to know it's now a decent option to reinstall if I find myself bored with the things I've been playing.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

I've been playing Warframe since the closed beta and have well over 600 hours played.

I played about 350 hours of Destiny before House of Wolves came out (haven't touched it since then, even though it was my GOTY for 2014).

I do not think the games are all that comparable, even though everybody who has casually played either would like you to believe that they are (similar to the current TF2/Overwatch situation, really).

Orexis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone whose played way too much of this game (and spent way too much on it), I kinda burned out on it pretty hard. As I played more and more of it, I just ended up having more and more issues with the game until I couldn't help but wish the developers focused on polishing what systems the game has instead of piling on more shit. Instead, it just seems like this is a game that tries to do a bunch of stuff, but I can't really think of a single thing (outside of the art style), that it really does well. The movement and parkour is floaty, the stealth system is kinda terrible, Archwing is pointless, the melee is kinda shallow, the AI is dumb as bricks, and its got balancing issues up the ass due to having a trillion weapons and like 30 warframes. Also, the "endgame" involves hours (and hours) of farming blueprints from void maps and praying that the loot table doesn't give you the same damn blueprint dozens of times. I don't know, maybe I'm just in too deep, but Warframe bums me the hell out now. Still, I spent hundreds of hours playing it, so I guess I got my money's worth?

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I am the leader of the Giant Bomb Clan on PC so I've played a lot of Warframe with GB duders. I'm a founder and been playing fairly regular since update 10 back in June 2013

The clan is kind of in the stretch of time waiting for the next update. High clan activity when a new update hits. Goes about few weeks then settles back down until the next update.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zeik

I played a shit load of a year or two ago, but now it's just something I come back to every couple months, play for a week or two, and then move on again.

That's not really a complaint about the game though. The number of games I've gotten that much total playtime out of is extremely small, and it's one of the only F2P games I've found myself regularly coming back to after stopping. Also the only one I've ever been willing to put money into. (Ironically because you don't really need to.)

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an account that I go back to every once in a while since some super early closed beta thing they did. The last time I played was about a year ago and I had a couple problems with the game that kept me from sticking with it. The grind for new warframes/weapons was too much for me, it seemed like it was really hard to find groups for the missions that weren't good for farming mats, and the lag got really awful at times.

With that said though I'll probably end up going down a rabbit hole with those beginner guide videos and giving the game another shot.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Never cared for warframe, the look and environments were too bland, repetitive and dull to me. I don't need the world's greatest story and production values, but I need some variety and not having the grind for the sake of grinding be so obvious.

The controls never felt great to me either. I do get the appeal for some folks though.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt like I got all I wanted out of it pretty early on. Those early missions were a lot of fun, but it just got grindier and grindier.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a little of this game enjoyed the combat but was turned off from the free to pay model of it, i was totally willing to spend 30$ on it but it looked like I would not get much for that 30$. I always think of giving it a second shot tho.I will have to do more research and see what's up with it.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sincave said:

I played a little of this game enjoyed the combat but was turned off from the free to pay model of it, i was totally willing to spend 30$ on it but it looked like I would not get much for that 30$. I always think of giving it a second shot tho.I will have to do more research and see what's up with it.

Only spend platinum currency on Warframe slots or weapon slots, and only do so as needed. Don't buy any of the Warframes or weapons themselves. You can build everything with blueprints. Do this, and you can play for well over 100 hours using just your starter platinum.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OurSin_360

I put in like 40-50 hours on pc and probably double that on ps4, and i feel it is a way better game than destiny, the division and even borderlands. The only problem with it is the fact that it's f2p and unlocking stuff is painstaking and convoluted as shit without a guide. I did end up putting 45 bux into it which is the most money i've ever put down on a f2p game, but i kinda stopped playing after i got my chocobo dog thing(last time i logged in it was quietly dying on my ship RIP.

I should definitely go back one day to try out the new parkour stuff, but it's kind of seems like a hard game to jump back into after a year or so.

@sincave said:

Only spend platinum currency on Warframe slots or weapon slots, and only do so as needed. Don't buy any of the Warframes or weapons themselves. You can build everything with blueprints. Do this, and you can play for well over 100 hours using just your starter platinum.

Wasn't there something you had to get to be able to level up your warframe to full strength? So all your earned warframes could only be leveled up half way. I bought like 4 of them i think and grinded for a few more and i think ended up buying the unlock thing for most of them. Unlocking one warframe takes well over a week of real time, and then you can't even level it up fully. That shit blowed.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Warframe, I just ran out of stuff to do at some point. I guess that's not a bad thing. The only ( normal) frame I'm missing is Atlas, mostly because the golem is too bullet spongey to kill solo and I often run into connection problems playing with anyone else.

Right now I'm waiting for a good bulk of updates to get back in and have some stuff to do...hopefully the one with the kabats.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I must have played tens of hours of it before, but last time I played was a few months ago. After a few big updates, I kinda had the feeling that what they're aiming for and what I want doesn't quite line up. It feels a little too MMO-ish and monotonous, and the action is a little loose. There's also the issue of not having enough people in the region for the amount of levels are in the game, and playing with high latency isn't so good. I enjoyed most of what I've played of it though.

To be fair, I don't really like Borderlands 1-2 or The Division either. I like Destiny because the action feels pretty tight.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pyrodactyl

1- I really don't like the art style. Something about how the color, the enemies, the environment and the different character classes look just rubs me the wrong way.

2-Every mission I saw looks extremely generic. Go through this halway/spaceship/closed environment and kill these generic bad guys. I don't see the hook outside of a constent grind to get better loot to complete harder generic missions.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I loved playing it on PC and PS4 right around the launch of that game in both places, but got burned out after something like 30 hours. Very cool game but I felt lonely to be honest, like it needed to be played with a friend. As well, after the early stages, it began to feel very grindy, and while I did spend some money, I'm definitely not interested in constantly spending money, and it did feel to me that was necessary. I didn't play enough to really know for sure and I haven't played in the last year I don't think. Cool game though, always think I will go back at some point.

Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it quite a bit back in the day, put about 1000 hours into it. But the last big re-design of the movement really put me off, and that combined with the increased grind necessary to get new stuff sealed the deal. It's really much more than I ever expected a free to play game would be, but I prefer those bigger games like Destiny over it. But man those super jumps you used to be able to do after wall runs were so fun.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20  Edited By sammo21

I've played WF since it was in early beta on PC. So cool to see where it is now and how well they do updating it.

Also, its more successful at what it does than Destiny, Division, etc.

@Solidsnak Really? I'm glad they got rid of super jump; it was rather pointless.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've played it a few different times but the interfaces are all VERY confusing

prl412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing for the past year and have found my interest waning (Dark Souls 3 isn't helping, although MGSV didn't stop me). I picked Excalibur because it's really well rounded and because I felt no hesitation in maxing it out (Excalibur Prime is only available through trading for hefty prices because they were only given to Warframe "founders"). They're all good choices, but you can still get Mag and Volt early on, whereas Excalibur is much later.

I haven't paid them a dime, and I have to say there's a big difficulty curve between level 15/20 missions and level 25/30 missions. This is mainly because you don't have very many mods, and you need to level them up once you get them.

The solution is to join a clan early on so that you can play with a reliable coop team. This is especially important for the game's bosses, which are the main way to find new warframe parts without paying currency.

Speaking of currency, you'll want to join a Syndicate and max it out as soon as possible. You can sell the rewards for the paid currency (Platinum), and make a regular income.

This all goes hand in hand with doing Void missions for Prime parts/blueprints which are all very desirable when you start playing. Any duplicates can be sold off or traded or converted to another currency. You need keys to do Void missions, and you need a good team for things like defense and survival.

So join a clan, max out a syndicate, and play in the Void as much as possible. It will reduce the grind considerably and at least you can ask veterans what you should be working on next.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I was super into it for about 2 years before my PC called it quits. Although I can look back on it and think about all the great times I had, I also think about the bad times and honestly just have zero desire to return to ever return to it. I still think it's a good game and I would totally recommend it to others, but it's not for me anymore.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

@prl412: The solution is to replay certain things like the survival missions. Super easy to get mods, honestly. Then you not only need to get mods but level those up. You can also get new frames very easily when you know which bosses drop the pieces. You're right about the syndicate stuff but I'd say that's an ongoing process while everything else is more active.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it heavily with a group of friends a long time ago, like over two years ago before they started making radical changes to the card system. We sort of fell off it for a while and when we came back a lot had been revamped and we didn't like the changes and didn't feel like relearning the mechanics of the game. The last time we played they had just introduced dojos and we didn't hand around much longer after that.

It was really fun for that period of time. I wish I could get my account over to my PS4 because I've some friends who play it there but I've already invested time and money into a PC account and I don't want to start over again.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've played about 80 hours of warframe all together. It's strange, it has all the same problems as destiny: no story, repetitive content, lack of single player focus, but, because its free and I like the whole sci fi Bushido thing,my tolerance for it has been much higher. Having said that, it can so janky, so lacklustre in presentation, that I've burnt out on it several times over.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like playing it, but I've kinda hit a wall where I can't really get anything new that I want from matchmaking with randoms and I don't want to do organized stuff. Still, I put some 200 hours into the game and I spent like 5 dollars or so in total, so it's okay.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what, i remembered the real reason i stopped playing was because it broke my analog stick lol. I think i had it set to hold to run which ended up breaking my first gen ds4 lol.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai said:

What? That doesn't make a lot of sense. You don't mean that you earned and built it, and then they took it from you, right? I'm guessing that you were working towards collecting the parts, and then they removed those prime pieces from the drop tables, correct?

Yeah, that does happen in this game. There are certainly plenty of things that are only available for a limited time.

I was working towards it. The grind for it made me take like, 2-3 months break, and when I came back they removed the drops from the game. It is still possible to find someone that will trade it but I am not going to spend real money to buy fake money just so I can have it. ON any case, the game was becoming a bit too much for me. It was getting into MMO level grind which I am not a big fan of. No big loss.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Say what you will about Destiny's numerous problems but it still has a level of "gamefeel", flow and general game design way beyond The Division, Borderlands or Warframe. Now if they could fix everything else about the game as well as their nightmare trash fire development process...

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried it once on PC, but there's something about the movement and combat that didn't feel good to me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I played a while ago and got surprisingly hooked on it for a good month or so to the point where for the first time ever I actually dropped some money on a free to play game. Ninjas play for free, but ninjas that value their time need to pitch in a little it seems. The game was fun but I did get burnt out on it eventually. I remember the drop rates getting pretty damn bad. I did the same boss run over a dozen times without a single blueprint piece dropping, and thats not even mentioning what I had to do to get the materials for that blueprint.

Probably one of the few games where the procedurally generated levels didn't bother me THAT much, but it still wasn't enough to keep me playing. Hey that had me for a good month and got me to drop like $30 on their game, so job well done I guess. That said I don't really see myself going back.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I take a break from Warframe about every three months or so, then grind hard for a few weeks. The only other time I'll get on is if they are going to be vaulting stuff, so I can grind it out and make a killing on the market.

Right now, I actually NEED to get on right now and farm out a Fragor Prime. Shit's OP, son!

As it stands, my doods are so geared out at this point that there's not really anything for me to do but rep grind to sell off shit and buy vanity shit with platinum. I mean, I COULD go get more Arcanes, but...honestly...I don't need them. They aren't a necessity...and no one raids anymore anyways.

Also, Archwing content still sucks. That's actually the one thing that I've never done: leveled my Archwing shit and geared it out fully. I still get a complete experience without it all.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've put in about 200 hours since one of the earlier beta versions, before the redone UI, star map and such. I like that the game has become much more easy to solo than it was years ago, otherwise I would have bailed on it completely. So yeah, it's like a Phantasy Star Online/Diablo for me where I play it when I feel like lootin' and killin'.

Unfortunately, my alien dog/wolf thing named Nicki Minaj died while I wasn't playing the game back in April.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@oursin_360 said:

@spaceinsomniac said:
    @sincave said:

Wasn't there something you had to get to be able to level up your warframe to full strength? So all your earned warframes could only be leveled up half way. I bought like 4 of them i think and grinded for a few more and i think ended up buying the unlock thing for most of them. Unlocking one warframe takes well over a week of real time, and then you can't even level it up fully. That shit blowed.

Sort of. Warframes and weapons can each be leveled to rank 30, which gives you 30 points to assign mods. Using a reactor on a Warframe or a catalyst on a weapon gives you double the number of mod allotment points, which you'll very much want to have for late game activities. There are a few ways to get a reactor. You can get lucky and be online during the hour or two a timed event starts that will earn you one, you can wait until a Gift from the Lotus event starts--runs all day and happens every month or so--you can buy one for 20 platinum, or you can buy a new Warframe with platinum that will come with one pre-installed.

PS Plus members start Warframe with 150 platinum, if I remember correctly, and buying Exclibur, Loki, or Volt will only cost you 75 platinum, so that's always an option if you're really impatient.

Two other things to note here are the facts that it'll take you a while to build your mods up to a level where you could even install 60 points worth, and you can still level frames and weapons to the maximum rank without a reactor or catalyst. No effort will be lost where you can only level halfway until you get a reactor. Installing one just gives you double the mod points. You can still reach max rank without it.

It's also inaccurate to say "Unlocking one warframe takes well over a week of real time." Once you've reached a boss that drops the frame piece blueprints that you want, you need to fight them until you get all the drops. Depending on luck, you can often do this in an hour or two. Once you have all three blueprint pieces of your new frame, it takes either 12 or 24 hours to build them, and you can do all three at once. Once you have those three pieces, it takes three days to build your new frame. During this time, you can still play with your current frames, so it's really not much of an inconvenience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.