Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warframe

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 25, 2013

From the studio that co-created the Unreal series comes a free-to-play third-person Loot Shooter pitting a group of superhuman warriors (in advanced exo-armor systems known as "Warframes") against a hostile universe.

Need tips for a new player.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

Hello folks,

So I've been playing the PS4 version the past day or so and having finished the prologue story (killing that Vor dude) and I feel a little lost. I stupidly had failed the first rank up exam (all my fault, I didn't realise what the rank up system test was), I have an item in production being the sword dropped by Vor and I've also picked up an helmet though I don't have the resources for that just yet. The missions however are limited and I can't seem to take on the second set of story quests just yet because I end up dying... a lot. In fact dying as been the common thread of my time in Warframe and having the limited amount of revives means that eventually I'm certain to run out.

I thought Destiny was confusing, but Warframe is as confusing if not more. I've read threads, wikis and whatnot and still trying to figure out how the systems work. I'm sure time will allow me to understand the game more but as a new player I'm a little lost. With only about two to three missions I can realistically take on my options are limited and the weird way they display mission levels makes it a bit of a guessing game if I can actually take on that specific mission.

I've also noticed while playing co-op how hardly anyone as actually ever revived me when I'm down. I even had a guy right next to me who decided not to even revive me, at first I thought he wasn't at the controller but then he moved on so either he didn't see me or ignored me. Co-op as been a bit of a messy experience so far. That said, having match-making is welcomed, the limited matchmaking in Destiny drove me mad.

I'll stick with it for a few more days, there's a lot to like about Warframe but I'm not sure I can enjoy it the way I'm playing it right now.

Any beginner tips, I'd appreciate any. Thanks.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Corevi

What guns are you using? If it's still the starter weapon you need to change that immediately. Are you using the mod system? It's super important.

Don't build the helmet, you need the torso, the circuits, the blueprint and a ton of resources before you can actually do anything with it.

Join the GB clan if you want to play with people that will revive you.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@machofantastico: weird that people are not reviving you, even when I played with randoms they seemed to cooperate nicely, but unfortunately there are some people that have 0 tolerance for new players it seems, maybe try getting into the GB alliance for the ps4, because yeah as you said yourself in the beginning the amount of missions you can solo is pretty limited and the best way to level your stuff up and get resources is on stuff like survival for example, which is impossible to solo unless you have pretty good gear.

Basically you want to level all your stuff to rank 30, because that's what makes you rank up yourself, and your rank gates the equipment you can use.

Also try and get a new weapon as soon as possible, the boltor is an excellent choice to go after your starter primary and maybe the kunai or bolto for secondary, getting a new weapon is far more important than a new frame at the beginning.

And mod your stuff to hell, the mod system is the single most important aspect of the game, a good weapon is important, but without mods even the best weapon kinda sucks at higher levels.

Also keep an eye out for alerts, specially at fridays since there will be some very easy ones which give out orokin catalysts and reactors as rewards, and those are essential for higher level stuff, basically you can double the mod capacity of frames and weapons with them but only use them on stuff you really like of course, they're hard to come by unless you straight out buy them from the market.

A shame you're playing it on the PS4.. if you were on the PC I'd be more than willing to help you grind some shit, beat some bosses, get you your archwing and stuff, I love helping new players out ;)

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the quick reply guys, appreciated.

Right now I'm still using the starter weapons and like I said, I have the Cronus is production at the moment. I've been fusioning mods especially Vitality (at +160 health right now as it seems an obvious thing to upgrade). I've upgraded a few other mods including redirection (+80 shield).

I'm trying to figure out how the missions work per planet, I read the flashing mission is what you need to complete to unlock other nodes on the same planet.

I'm playing on PS4 because I tried the PC version and I disliked using keyboard and mouse, it's a preference thing. I know you can use controller on PC but it's not really optimised for it like the PS4 is.

I've tried to join one of the GB clans but I'm not even sure the dude is playing anymore.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I realised when I was playing it yesterday with someone new that I was spouting a stream of nonsense at them. It's one of those games that throws so many unknowns at you right out of the gate. I'm still learning stuff about the game and I'm over a 100 hours deep.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to figure out how the missions work per planet, I read the flashing mission is what you need to complete to unlock other nodes on the same planet.

If you complete a mission all missions linked to it will unlock.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it feels like they've purposely made it more confusing for the sake of it. I'm having no fun with it solo or in co-op right now. In fact I'm a little frustrated with it. I get far into a mission and within two seconds MISSION FAILED hits!

It's a shame to because the early introduction missions do a great job of introducing you to the game. Then they pretty much leave you and stop explaining anything.

Driving me a little mad.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I'm just as lost as you man, thought i had everything down after the tutorial missions, jumped into multiplayer and did nothing but fail over and over, might have to join the GB clan myself, there definetly does seem to be a good game buried in there somewhere ^_^

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Corevi

Again, you REALLY need new guns. The starter weapons are trash garbage. Getting some good damage mods like an elemental damage and Serration will help a ton too.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico: you should really consider sticking with the pc version if that's an option, it's actually far ahead the consoles in terms of updates, and I don't see how the controller would work differently on the PC really, but hey that's your choice.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico: Have your read the Lengthy FAQ here on the forum? It has a lot of good tips. Otherwise I'd offer to let you join my little clan, but we're full at the moment. Maybe you you try the Windjammers one @tafae set up?

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MachoFantastico

I usually don't see myself as an awful gamer, but Warframe is making me think otherwise. I can't believe I screwed up the rank up test again, this time using the bow (which I loved at first) is just to slow for that test and the damn AI kept hiding behind cover, I'm not sure if I can leave the center area without failing the test and the timer ran out :D. Arghhhh!

@corevi said:

Again, you REALLY need new guns. The starter weapons are trash garbage. Getting some good damage mods like an elemental damage and Serration will help a ton too.

Is it possible to actually buy weapons then as I thought it was only through crafting blueprints you got new weapons? If so I feel even more stupid, I thought the market was only for use with Plat. The bow and arrow combination starter weapon is to damn slow, especially for co-op, the enemy is usually dead before I even get a shot off.

@onarum said:

@machofantastico: you should really consider sticking with the pc version if that's an option, it's actually far ahead the consoles in terms of updates, and I don't see how the controller would work differently on the PC really, but hey that's your choice.

I know the PC version gets updates and whatnot first, maybe it's worth giving it another go though I found having to move between keyboard/mouse and controller a little tricky due to my set up. I'm wondering if it might be worth starting all over again on a fresh account.

@machofantastico: Have your read the Lengthy FAQ here on the forum? It has a lot of good tips. Otherwise I'd offer to let you join my little clan, but we're full at the moment. Maybe you you try the Windjammers one @tafae set up?

I read that FAQ and it was very helpful, thanks.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Corevi

@machofantastico: You buy the blueprint for the weapon with credits and then you make it with resources. I recommend the Latron or the Braton (NOT THE MK1) until rank 2 when you can get the Boltor or the Karak.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

@machofantastico: You buy the blueprint for the weapon with credits and then you make it with resources. I recommend the Latron or the Braton (NOT THE MK1) until rank 2 when you can get the Boltor or the Karak.

There's no blueprint for the Braton though - it's one of the few weapons that can be bough for credits without crafting.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

The first rank test was the hardest of the four I've done. I bought and ranked up the Braton, and that helped.

If you want to solo, to try to get the hang of things, I'd stick with low level exterminate missions. If you want to grind a bunch of loot and xp quickly, you want to do a defense mission, and maybe extract at level 10.

Stay away from rescue, capture, and spy missions for now, as they have fail states.

I'd be happy to help but I'm on PC.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

There's no blueprint for the Braton though - it's one of the few weapons that can be bough for credits without crafting.

Right. Forgot about that. Still applies to almost every other weapon though.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

I feel stupid, here's me thinking the market was only for the F2P aspect of the game. Well I've jumped onto the PC to give that version another chance for a short while, though it still baffles me that you can't use the controller for some of the menus. Especially considering they're pretty much identical, it'd be great if the developers could implement a switch in the options that showed up controller buttons and made menus navigate like they do on PS4/Xbox One. Small thing I know, but surely something they could do.

Tried with keyboard and mouse again, not sure what it is but I just don't enjoy the way the game controls using that combination. The PC version does seem to have some extra features, not sure if this is down to Sony's limitations being placed on the PS4 version and I know it is the latest version on PC. Just wish that menu navigation thing wasn't a problem, I'd stick with PC if that were the case as having to navigate to the PC every time to use the mouse is a little infuriating. But still, petty problems in the greater scheme of things. Thanks for the tips folks.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico: wow really? that really sucks that it doesnt have full controller support, really weird they'd do it like that, I mean how hard is to implement full menu support...

I do enjoy playing with mouse and keyboard immensely though, can't beat that precision.

give me a shout when you want help doing some runs, I'd be most glad to.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Level your starter weapons up before you replace them. I recommend spending a little money, i spent about 45$ total and got some warframes, weapons, slots, and orokin reaktors/catalysts(most important resource in the game IMO). Either way it's a grind, I spent a lot of time on the wiki and google looking up stuff as the game doesn't explain itself well at all.

DudeSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just a quick question

I have been grinding for a bit, finally got a few weapons to 30, beat Venus and Mars (and even got all the plans for Rhino and Mag) so I kinda know the basics, but when is the best time to try the Void missions? I want to finish those warframe blueprints, but I need control modules which look like they come from the Void. Is a level 30 Karak or Boltor and a 30 Excaliber good enough to try the Tier 1 missions?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudesupreme: It's hard to get an idea how powerful you are just by weapon and warframe rank - it's which mods you have equipped and how highly ranked they are which is important. A rank 7 rifle with a maxed out Serration mod in the right polarity slot can be much more powerful than a poorly modded rank 30 one for example. But regardless, you should probably be able to handle T1 missions just fine, especially if you go into the recruiting channel and find a full squad to tag along with. I'd say start with T1 Exterminate since it's the most straight forward one, and then try the other mission types as you become more comfortable with the enemies and the room layout.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.