This game is pretty fun, grab a beta key!

Avatar image for onimonkii
#1 Edited by onimonkii (2566 posts) -

http://www.mmobomb.com/giveaway/warframe-beta-keys (9000 more posted)

http://www.freemmostation.com/giveaways/warframe-closed-beta-giveaway/ (7000 more posted)

I just started playing this last night with some friends, it's super early in beta but it's already really fun gameplay wise, if a bit repetitive map/tileset wise because it's so early.

The basic premise is it's 4 player class based co-op 3rd person robot space ninjas. You take on various mission types like Sabotage, Defense, Spy, Assassinate, Exterminate, with seemingly randomized objectives, so playing the same mission twice could be different.

As you play you level up and earn points to put in a skill tree, which reminds me of how the weapon upgrades work in Dead Space. As far as character upgrades there are Mods to put into Mod Slots you can pick up, they give you things like +armor, +shields +fire damage, etc. There are also crafting materials and blueprints to create new weapons or warframes. Weapons level independently of the warframe you're using them with, and in game there are bonus objectives (get 10 headshots, etc.) to gain bonus affinity for your weapons. Weapons use the same kind of skill trees that warframes do, and can also take mods.

It's a free to play game, so there are some microtransaction bits, the grossest of which is you can only revive yourself 4 times per day without buying more, other players reviving you is unlimited though and doesn't use one of those 4. Most of it is cosmetic or early unlocks though, and there's no player vs player, so it's not that big of a deal really.

If you need more convincing, or want to see it for yourself, here is a video.

Avatar image for willza92
#2 Posted by Willza92 (354 posts) -

Robot Space Ninjas? Of course. Seems neat from the video, if a little uninspired in it's design so far (except for the robot space ninja part). 

Avatar image for aegon
#3 Posted by Aegon (7236 posts) -

MMOBomb?

Hey...look at that logo!

Anyways, grabbed a key.

Avatar image for haltiamreptar
#4 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2038 posts) -

@Aegon said:

MMOBomb?

Hey...look at that logo!

Yeah that's a little weird. But there's only so much you can do with an anthropomorphized circle.

Avatar image for onimonkii
#5 Edited by onimonkii (2566 posts) -

Oh, I forgot to mention the movement, it's kinda neat. If you hold crouch while sprinting, you'll do a knee slide until you let go or lose momentum. You can also slide from a jump if you were sprinting when you jumped. Sprinting, crouching, and then jumping will do a forward flip. Tapping sprint and a direction will do a dodge roll.

Like all of those but the dodge i think you can use melee/charge melee attacks with. So like with the front flip you'll do a ground pound attack, for example.

You will usually want to charge melee, it seems kinda weak just swinging, but a charged attack will one shot kill most dudes and cut them in half.

There's no controller options, but plugging in a controller worked fine for me and everything seemed bound reasonably (left trigger aim, left bumper ability, right bumper melee, right trigger shoot, A jump, click left stick to sprint, click right stick to duck, X to interact, Y to change weapons, B to reload), just don't try to hack things with a controller, I couldn't figure it out. You just click the panels with the mouse.

Avatar image for tunaburn
#6 Posted by tunaburn (2021 posts) -

well its downloading. ill give it a shot. but i dunno if it can tear me away from dota 2

Avatar image for subjugation
#7 Posted by Subjugation (4963 posts) -

All I've seen so far is the video that TotalBiscuit did on it, and I came away from that really unimpressed. It looked super mediocre.

Avatar image for onimonkii
#8 Posted by onimonkii (2566 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

well its downloading. ill give it a shot. but i dunno if it can tear me away from dota 2

yeah, there really isn't much to it at the moment, so i doubt it will. but it's fun and free and still in beta, so there's the possibility of more stuff later on to make it more interesting.

Avatar image for raven10
#9 Posted by Raven10 (2186 posts) -

God that guy needs to turn his mouse sensitivity down. Getting motion sick from watching that. Looks like a generic third person shooter. Not exactly sold on it.

Avatar image for tunaburn
#10 Edited by tunaburn (2021 posts) -

@onimonkii: hope so. i wish it would have some sort of competitive component. im not sure about only co-op if its just the same thing over and over. whats the point of leveling up your stuff if you can beat it with the original weapons? maybe theres something more to it i havent playe it yet.

but it looks graphically impressive for a F2P game

Avatar image for mikegosot
#11 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -

@onimonkii: Is the game difficult? The movement seems cool and the characters look awesome, but it seems too easy from the video you showed.

Avatar image for onimonkii
#12 Posted by onimonkii (2566 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@onimonkii: Is the game difficult? The movement seems cool and the characters look awesome, but it seems too easy from the video you showed.

i'm on venus now and things are starting to get a bit rough, though it might have been because we only had 3 players. there's a lot i haven't seen yet so i can't say what it's like later on though.

Avatar image for earlessshrimp
#13 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1849 posts) -

Got my key, gotta give it a shot.

Avatar image for nikoran
#14 Posted by Nikoran (172 posts) -

Wow, that looks pretty good. Thanks for the heads up.

Avatar image for theht
#15 Edited by TheHT (14317 posts) -

Game's got a nice look to it. Downloading now.

Thanks!

Avatar image for trickology101
#16 Posted by trickology101 (40 posts) -

When I looked at the title, I thought I read Warface for some reason XD

Avatar image for scrawnto
#17 Edited by Scrawnto (2552 posts) -

Downloading! Thanks for the heads-up, duder!

Edit: Hmm, from the description it sounds almost like the MP from ME3, except blown up into a full game. I really liked that multiplayer, so that sounds kind of awesome.

Avatar image for theht
#18 Posted by TheHT (14317 posts) -

OK, so this game is a fucking blast.

Running around chopping dudes in half, shooting up melee fools that run at you with hand mounted buzz saws, and just generally wrecking shit up like a ninja cyborg that looks like the dudes from Abara. I've noticed some tougher enemies getting thrown into the mix and had a boss fight which was mostly whoever had aggro running away while everyone shot him (you know, a boss fight), but so far it's me and 3 other dudes running around killing everything in our path at breakneck speeds and it is fucking DOPE.

I can see where new enemies, levels, and situations along with other warframes could make it less than kill, kill, kill, and I have no doubt that it'll still be a fun experience, but so far it's smooth, lens flared, follow the waypoint and split everything in two action.

Definitely gonna be playing more of this

Avatar image for artisanbreads
#19 Edited by ArtisanBreads (8088 posts) -

Excited to check this out. Saw some gameplay and I really dig the space samurai thing going on.

If you guys want to play I'll probably give it a try tomorrow after work. User name is "ArtisanBreads".

Online
Avatar image for humanity
#20 Posted by Humanity (16223 posts) -

My name is Humanity in the game so add me to your contacts and we can team up sometimes. It's pretty fun if not a bit repetitive.

Avatar image for artisanbreads
#21 Posted by ArtisanBreads (8088 posts) -

@onimonkii said:

There's no controller options, but plugging in a controller worked fine for me and everything seemed bound reasonably (left trigger aim, left bumper ability, right bumper melee, right trigger shoot, A jump, click left stick to sprint, click right stick to duck, X to interact, Y to change weapons, B to reload), just don't try to hack things with a controller, I couldn't figure it out. You just click the panels with the mouse.

How'd you do this? I tried going to the binding option and using my controller buttons and it didn't work.

Online
Avatar image for deathbyyeti
#22 Posted by DeathbyYeti (790 posts) -

After playing it for a couple of days, it reminds me of the slightly decent part of Mass Effect 3. The co op

Avatar image for onimonkii
#23 Posted by onimonkii (2566 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@onimonkii said:

There's no controller options, but plugging in a controller worked fine for me and everything seemed bound reasonably (left trigger aim, left bumper ability, right bumper melee, right trigger shoot, A jump, click left stick to sprint, click right stick to duck, X to interact, Y to change weapons, B to reload), just don't try to hack things with a controller, I couldn't figure it out. You just click the panels with the mouse.

How'd you do this? I tried going to the binding option and using my controller buttons and it didn't work.

I had my controller plugged in from playing dark souls and i noticed it rumbled when i started playing, so i just picked it up and tried it and it worked. my friend said his would rumble but wouldn't control anything, so i'm not really sure.

Avatar image for 1der
#24 Posted by 1DER (90 posts) -

If anyone else needs a beta key, there are tons left over here.

Avatar image for artisanbreads
#25 Posted by ArtisanBreads (8088 posts) -

@onimonkii said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@onimonkii said:

There's no controller options, but plugging in a controller worked fine for me and everything seemed bound reasonably (left trigger aim, left bumper ability, right bumper melee, right trigger shoot, A jump, click left stick to sprint, click right stick to duck, X to interact, Y to change weapons, B to reload), just don't try to hack things with a controller, I couldn't figure it out. You just click the panels with the mouse.

How'd you do this? I tried going to the binding option and using my controller buttons and it didn't work.

I had my controller plugged in from playing dark souls and i noticed it rumbled when i started playing, so i just picked it up and tried it and it worked. my friend said his would rumble but wouldn't control anything, so i'm not really sure.

Ah yeah you are totally right mine just works too, had to figure out the layout. I actually felt it rumble that's how I was tipped off.

Online
Avatar image for onimonkii
#26 Posted by onimonkii (2566 posts) -

@1DER said:

If anyone else needs a beta key, there are tons left over here.

edited that into the OP, thanks!

Avatar image for artisanbreads
#27 Edited by ArtisanBreads (8088 posts) -

I had some good fun with it on my first run through. F2P stuff seems pretty steep, going to take a while to get a shotty I guess? Although there is one that it says is saved for the next overall level up... is that free? I need my shotty.

But I quite like all the little moves you can do: the Max Payne-esque shootdodge, the roll, the slide (which you can even do a back handspring or something out of). They should entice you to do that stuff by giving you a damage bonus or something though.

Enemies are quite dumb and it's easy, but I'm sure it ramps up. Looking forward to that as right now it's just my whole team running ahead and mindlessly melee-ing dudes. I like to mix it up but I was practically the only one shooting.

Going to keep playing and see where it goes. Friend me if you want to play: ArtisanBreads

Also a question: how do you set up your powers to be used and how do you use them via the controller? I thought I bought one power before but I might have been mistaken. I definitely did buy two when I just stopped playing so just wondering about that.

Online
Avatar image for tunaburn
#28 Edited by tunaburn (2021 posts) -

i just cant get into co-op only online games like this. where youre just running through a level. theres no story to play through and no PVP so its just basically one stage with a couple people. and its really really easy. i dont feel a need to level up and progress if its just to keep playing bots. id rather have a story or something. if that makes sense.

it just feels like its a normal 3rd person shooter except you can only play vs bots and not people

Avatar image for onimonkii
#29 Posted by onimonkii (2566 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

I had some good fun with it on my first run through. F2P stuff seems pretty steep, going to take a while to get a shotty I guess? Although there is one that it says is saved for the next overall level up... is that free? I need my shotty.

But I quite like all the little moves you can do: the Max Payne-esque shootdodge, the roll, the slide (which you can even do a back handspring or something out of). They should entice you to do that stuff by giving you a damage bonus or something though.

Enemies are quite dumb and it's easy, but I'm sure it ramps up. Looking forward to that as right now it's just my whole team running ahead and mindlessly melee-ing dudes. I like to mix it up but I was practically the only one shooting.

Going to keep playing and see where it goes. Friend me if you want to play: ArtisanBreads

Also a question: how do you set up your powers to be used and how do you use them via the controller? I thought I bought one power before but I might have been mistaken. I definitely did buy two when I just stopped playing so just wondering about that.

you can get a shotgun for credits, which are pretty easy to come by. as you start doing higher difficulty missions enemies will drop artifact mods, the ones you don't use in mod slots you can sell, and that brings in a lot of credits. don't worry about buying a warframe blueprint because 1) you need blueprints for the parts as well, and they drop off bosses and 2) those bosses are possibly bugged and not dropping them depending on the warframe. so pretty much just use them on weapons/gear.

the xp locked shotgun i'm not sure, i'm only like halfway through the first overall level myself, it goes really slowly.

as far as skills with the controller i'm not sure, i know it's lb/l1 to use, but i don't know how to switch. maybe dpad? make sure you go into options and turn off "use power on selection", unless you're using 1234 keys to fire them off it's kind of a pain.

Avatar image for artisanbreads
#30 Posted by ArtisanBreads (8088 posts) -

@onimonkii said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

I had some good fun with it on my first run through. F2P stuff seems pretty steep, going to take a while to get a shotty I guess? Although there is one that it says is saved for the next overall level up... is that free? I need my shotty.

But I quite like all the little moves you can do: the Max Payne-esque shootdodge, the roll, the slide (which you can even do a back handspring or something out of). They should entice you to do that stuff by giving you a damage bonus or something though.

Enemies are quite dumb and it's easy, but I'm sure it ramps up. Looking forward to that as right now it's just my whole team running ahead and mindlessly melee-ing dudes. I like to mix it up but I was practically the only one shooting.

Going to keep playing and see where it goes. Friend me if you want to play: ArtisanBreads

Also a question: how do you set up your powers to be used and how do you use them via the controller? I thought I bought one power before but I might have been mistaken. I definitely did buy two when I just stopped playing so just wondering about that.

you can get a shotgun for credits, which are pretty easy to come by. as you start doing higher difficulty missions enemies will drop artifact mods, the ones you don't use in mod slots you can sell, and that brings in a lot of credits. don't worry about buying a warframe blueprint because 1) you need blueprints for the parts as well, and they drop off bosses and 2) those bosses are possibly bugged and not dropping them depending on the warframe. so pretty much just use them on weapons/gear.

the xp locked shotgun i'm not sure, i'm only like halfway through the first overall level myself, it goes really slowly.

as far as skills with the controller i'm not sure, i know it's lb/l1 to use, but i don't know how to switch. maybe dpad? make sure you go into options and turn off "use power on selection", unless you're using 1234 keys to fire them off it's kind of a pain.

Thanks for the tips. Going to look into all that tomorrow.

Online
Avatar image for onimonkii
#31 Posted by onimonkii (2566 posts) -

both links in the OP updated with fresh keys. get them while they last!

Avatar image for sonnycheebah
#32 Posted by SonnyCheebah (37 posts) -

@Subjugation: He was playing that game like a TotalNoob. He didn't even shoot-dodge, or sprint-slide-slash.

In as PsychoGunner.

Avatar image for andorski
#33 Posted by Andorski (5481 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up. Downloading now.

How's playing in PUGs with this game? Does the game's difficulty necessitate intense amount of teamwork or can a group of players who are good at shooters do well on individual skill alone?

Avatar image for andorski
#34 Posted by Andorski (5481 posts) -

Just played for an hour or so. Fun game so far, albeit a bit basic in the beginning. Tutorial is also kinda lacking. I don't really understand how the game's economy works and I have no idea how to participate in the vote after each match.

Avatar image for sonnycheebah
#35 Edited by SonnyCheebah (37 posts) -

@Andorski: Yeah, it doesn't tell you a whole lot. They neglect to tell you that you can access other planets via the map when trying to vote. If you're not seeing where someone's vote is placed, chances are it's under another planet's systems. Also, the economy works as follows:

You are given credits at the end of each mission. You can also acquire credits by selling modifications that you don't need from your inventory. Seeing as how a good deal of the game requires at least 30k in credits, it's recommended that you amass a good amount, and save for a substantial weapon purchase. Also, you can spend credits on blueprints in order to craft weapons and frames, or whatever else you'd like. It seems that they've done away with requiring the usage of Platinum (Real money) to get anything but cosmetic changes, or to simply speed along the process that would otherwise be a level-grind.

Avatar image for theht
#36 Edited by TheHT (14317 posts) -

The game's not quite as enjoyable solo. There's a sort of competitiveness to the co-op, where you wanna cut up more dude's than anyone else, and the levels feel more like races (until a tough enemy shows up at least).

It's perfectly servicable alone, but you lose that added source of 'adrenaline'. Also some encounters can be pretty tough when it's just you.

Avatar image for grixxel
#37 Posted by Grixxel (920 posts) -

You know what, thanks, I'm gonna go try this out.

Avatar image for gideonamos
#38 Edited by GideonAmos (211 posts) -

Just played about an hour of this and it seems interesting so far. Any duders want to team up?

Forgot to state my id, it's AGNI5

Avatar image for morka
#39 Posted by Morka (203 posts) -

Im going to install this when i get back home from work in about four hours. Looking forward to play it. Hope that soøe duders are online then :)

Avatar image for jackel2072
#40 Posted by Jackel2072 (2510 posts) -

ok this has peaked my interest. sure i had too log into my IGN account to get a beta key (something i have not dont in about fuck 10 years?) so we'll see if it was worth that.

Avatar image for onimonkii
#41 Edited by onimonkii (2566 posts) -

Hello people coming in from the QL, the links in the OP still work for keys.

Avatar image for mnemoidian
#42 Posted by Mnemoidian (1016 posts) -

Looks a lot like Mass Effect's multiplayer - I'm getting the impression that it's a lot more shallow, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up :)

Avatar image for morka
#43 Posted by Morka (203 posts) -

Username is Morka. Hook me up if you want to play :)

Avatar image for zenmastah
#44 Posted by zenmastah (1214 posts) -

Been playing for about 12 hrs now and the game gets a bit repetitive, but im hoping that once it comes out of beta theyll be adding more variety to the levels.

Once you get all the enemy types unlocked it still adds alot even at this point though and there are some varieties in levels depending on which planet youre on and so on.

Cool game all and all, i have the same nic in it so feel free to add me if you like.

Avatar image for cheddardust
#45 Posted by cheddardust (16 posts) -

I am having a great time so far. I am glad Jeff did a QL of it.

Avatar image for sonnycheebah
#46 Posted by SonnyCheebah (37 posts) -

@Mnemoidian: It's not a lot more shallow, per se. I think that once you get used to really moving around and looking like a badass space ninja, things sort of click. I really like ME3's multiplayer as well, though.

Avatar image for mnemoidian
#47 Posted by Mnemoidian (1016 posts) -

@SonnyCheebah: I've played about an hour of Warframe now, and my initial assessment stands, at least in regards to the combat system, but it might be something that shows up more later.

And what I'm talking about is the synergy between characters and powers in Mass Effect (think Biotic explosions, tech combos).

I do like the melee a bit better though, it's looser than Mass Effect, but there's more skill in getting it right, as there's no lock on for heavy attacks.

Of course, the skill tree looks a lot more complicated in Warframe, but from what I've seen, they felt rather irrelevant - much like typical MMO-style talenttrees (+5% movement speed? Jolly ho!) vs Mass Effect's much greater choices (Attack does more damage to shields or armor. Or pick between recharge speed and straight power)

... but it's pretty stupid comparing the games at that level. And Warframe is in beta, so it gets a bit of a pass just for that, for now :)

Avatar image for sonnycheebah
#48 Edited by SonnyCheebah (37 posts) -

@Mnemoidian said:

@SonnyCheebah: Of course, the skill tree looks a lot more complicated in Warframe, but from what I've seen, they felt rather irrelevant - much like typical MMO-style talenttrees (+5% movement speed? Jolly ho!) vs Mass Effect's much greater choices (Attack does more damage to shields or armor. Or pick between recharge speed and straight power)

That's what the mods in this game are for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.