Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 19, 2009

The sequel to Relic's critically-acclaimed Dawn of War does away with economizing and base building in favor of a more involved combat system with RPG elements.

Dawn of War II + Chaos Rising...done!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

My cousin, the  Jman, and myself blasted through over 50 missions in  Warhammer 40,000 's Dawn of War II and it 's expansion, Chaos Rising. I can say that without the co-op, I would have never finished the game as the single player was a bit boring. The co-op just kept things at a pace I could live with.

My mini-review? The game is good, but nothing great. I hate how  RTS these days mean action-packed strategy.  DoW 2 has no base building, which to me, is part of the fun with an  RTS game. It does have  RPG elements (inventory system, stat points) which is cool, but I'd sacrifice these for a base any day of the week. Blowing a building up with my Space Marines is much more cool than getting a new gun.

The co-op is cool, as I said. It helped pace the game a bit more. Plus, we got around 800 achievement points just for playing through the games (which are reflected on my  Xbox Live account). The story was cool, if you like the  Warhammer story lines. I do, and is one of the reasons I had fun playing through the originals. Bosses are at the end of a good chunk of the levels. We didn't really get into the actual  multiplayer. Honestly, I did the beta and I thought that portion was just boring. Again, base building complaint.

The biggest issue I had with the game was the path-finding, and in an  RTS, this is critical. My units constantly were told to do things twice. Go here. GO HERE! That sort of thing. The last mission of Chaos Rising had my units and my cousin 's units stuck in walls when trying to run away. We actually lost the final boss battle (if you've played, you know how LONG this battle is) because we go stuck and he spit barf poison all over us. Sucked, but  meh, that 's life.

Overall verdict: 7/10

Remember that Assassin's Creed 2 platinum I was working on? Well, I only have 2 left. The hit 10 people without getting hit (yes, STILL haven't been able to do this) and poison someone then drop assassinate them. I'm giving it a break. Working on Final Fantasy XIII tonight a bit (game puts me to sleep after 5 minutes, literally. It's the music...). I forgot I bought around 40 PS2 games not too long ago. I might work on some of those. Forgot about them until I was looking for my blue-tooth this morning.

-dryvby
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

My cousin, the  Jman, and myself blasted through over 50 missions in  Warhammer 40,000 's Dawn of War II and it 's expansion, Chaos Rising. I can say that without the co-op, I would have never finished the game as the single player was a bit boring. The co-op just kept things at a pace I could live with.

My mini-review? The game is good, but nothing great. I hate how  RTS these days mean action-packed strategy.  DoW 2 has no base building, which to me, is part of the fun with an  RTS game. It does have  RPG elements (inventory system, stat points) which is cool, but I'd sacrifice these for a base any day of the week. Blowing a building up with my Space Marines is much more cool than getting a new gun.

The co-op is cool, as I said. It helped pace the game a bit more. Plus, we got around 800 achievement points just for playing through the games (which are reflected on my  Xbox Live account). The story was cool, if you like the  Warhammer story lines. I do, and is one of the reasons I had fun playing through the originals. Bosses are at the end of a good chunk of the levels. We didn't really get into the actual  multiplayer. Honestly, I did the beta and I thought that portion was just boring. Again, base building complaint.

The biggest issue I had with the game was the path-finding, and in an  RTS, this is critical. My units constantly were told to do things twice. Go here. GO HERE! That sort of thing. The last mission of Chaos Rising had my units and my cousin 's units stuck in walls when trying to run away. We actually lost the final boss battle (if you've played, you know how LONG this battle is) because we go stuck and he spit barf poison all over us. Sucked, but  meh, that 's life.

Overall verdict: 7/10

Remember that Assassin's Creed 2 platinum I was working on? Well, I only have 2 left. The hit 10 people without getting hit (yes, STILL haven't been able to do this) and poison someone then drop assassinate them. I'm giving it a break. Working on Final Fantasy XIII tonight a bit (game puts me to sleep after 5 minutes, literally. It's the music...). I forgot I bought around 40 PS2 games not too long ago. I might work on some of those. Forgot about them until I was looking for my blue-tooth this morning.

-dryvby

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.