Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 19, 2009

The sequel to Relic's critically-acclaimed Dawn of War does away with economizing and base building in favor of a more involved combat system with RPG elements.

Steam fucking blows.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By keyhunter

I've always hated steam, ever since Counter strike 1.5 I have pretty much completely loathed what steam is and what it does. But now here I am almost 10 years later finally getting forced to use it for Dawn of War 2. And I tell you what, I am not impressed at all. Half of the time the game isn't available (it's on my fucking hard drive, eat a dick Steam), or the server is too busy to run my fucking game. I have a computer that runs games, we don't need steam. I shouldn't have to ask to play a game that I just payed for you cock sucking piece of shit. And then it decides to download some update and take 65 minutes to do it, and at about half way it points out that I should try again later because the servers are too busy. Piracy used to be a damn chore, but shit like this is just making purchasing games a damn chore because of the hoops needed to be jumped through that "cracked" versions lack. Steam is in fact the opposite of piracy protection. I have never felt more compelled to pirate something in my life after this incredibly weak encounter with an incredibly weak program made for incredibly weak people who like weak stuff. Like counter strike and half life. Fuck this noise.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Bulldog19892

I can honestly say that I have never had, or even met anyone else who has had those problems.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By myke_tuna

I don't know what you're talking about, sorry.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

I'm having no problems with Dawn of War II, I'm even playing it offline on my laptop with no issues.  This sounds like user error to me.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Binman88

It can be a bit bothersome at first but I now really appreciate my games being kept up to date without me having to go to any effort. I'm quite sure you can make your games available offline too and also change the properties for individual games to make sure they don't auto update.

Also, your displeasure with Steam is hardly a convincing reason to pirate games.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mattbodega

Your problems seem super weird. You may want to give Steam Technical Support or your ISP a call and see if something is up. Because it's some other part of the equation that is screwing up the experience.

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cazamalos

wtf, steam is not like that

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By iamjohn

Seriously dude, what are you talking about?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Steam is a great service and it shouldn't be doing that, get in touch with steam support. These things shouldn't be happening. Also try the steam forums, they can often help too.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Cerza

I used to be like you. I hated Steam to no end when it first came out, but back then it was a mess and the most evil form of DRM on the market. Now it is widely regarded as one of the best. Sad isn't it? Steams DRM has not changed over the years, but Steam as a service has and it's really become something special. I love it now, and buy all my games through it, because I am tired of jumping through all the hoops and going through all the bull that comes with boxed PC games today. Honestly, would you rather have a boxed game with more problems that you can only install three to five times before you can't use it anymore, and puts a bunch of shady programs on your computer in the background, or would you rather have Steam, which only puts one shady program on your comptuer that also doubles as a legit well thought out, highly refined and highly polished service? You're the only person I have heard form in the last several years that has been having any issues with Steam. Like others have already said, you need to get in touch with their technical support, or check out their forums, because it shouldn't be behaving as it is.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Xandurson

Steam doesn't appeal to me that much because I'm not a huge PC gamer but sorry the service doesn't work too well with you.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FlipperDesert

Don't worry, it hurts a little the first time but after that it's tons more enjoyable. There's a little blood too, but that's normal, don't be freaked-out.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Hey. Exit steam, delete the clientregistry.blob file in the Steam folder, and then restart Steam. Whenever I've got issues, I do that. It usually works.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Never had a problem with steam mate.  Well, except the time I forgot my password, but I'm just an idiot.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Geno

Bulldog19892 said:

"I can honestly say that I have never had, or even met anyone else who has had those problems."

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SpecTackle
    keyhunter said:
    "I've always hated steam, ever since Counter strike 1.5 I have pretty much completely loathed what steam is and what it does. But now here I am almost 10 years later finally getting forced to use it for Dawn of War 2. And I tell you what, I am not impressed at all. Half of the time the game isn't available (it's on my fucking hard drive, eat a dick Steam), or the server is too busy to run my fucking game. I have a computer that runs games, we don't need steam. I shouldn't have to ask to play a game that I just payed for you cock sucking piece of shit. And then it decides to download some update and take 65 minutes to do it, and at about half way it points out that I should try again later because the servers are too busy. Piracy used to be a damn chore, but shit like this is just making purchasing games a damn chore because of the hoops needed to be jumped through that "cracked" versions lack. Steam is in fact the opposite of piracy protection. I have never felt more compelled to pirate something in my life after this incredibly weak encounter with an incredibly weak program made for incredibly weak people who like weak stuff. Like counter strike and half life. Fuck this noise."
    I've had steam tell me games were unavailable, most recently UT3. What I had to do to fix it was find the UT3 install folder in steam and uncheck "Read Only" for it and all sub folders. Problem fixed.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't like Valves attitude with Steam a lot of the time, but the service itself works well enough generally. I remember having some trouble a few years back, but not recently.

There are other services that I like far better, but they don't usually have as many games. :(

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bjorno

weak.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iamjohn
    Bellum said:
    "I don't like Valves attitude with Steam a lot of the time"
    Yeah, me too.  I sure do hate a constantly evolving, free service with really good weekly sales, excellent tech support, and a connection to the community that puts most other online services to shame, Xbox Live included.
    MisterWaingro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MisterWaingro

I'm saying this guy's a plant from Gamestop.  Anyone wanna bet otherwise?

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kozzy1234

Steam is awesome, how anyone can HATE steam so much in beyond me.

Had steam 3 years and NOT ONE PROBLEM AT ALL.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22  Edited By the8bitNacho
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "I can honestly say that I have never had, or even met anyone else who has had those problems."

n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By n00bosaurusRex

Steam is an excellent service.  Think about the alternatives... EA download for example.  If you listen to the bombcast then you've certainly heard how much of a pain in the ass its been for vinny with his copy of spore.  Like it or not, digital distribution is the way things are going.  Eventually services like steam will be the only option for playing computer games.  Also, keep in mind that the PC is an open platform and can be difficult to develop for.  Its not like a 360 or a PS3 where the developers are garunteed that everyone is running on the same hardware and the same OS.  PC's will be prone to having more problems just by thier nature.  This is the price we pay for being able to pick and choose the hardware and software we play games on.  Sometimes you will be forced to do some troubleshooting to get things working.  We have a valuable resource with the internet. The answer to almost any technical problem can be found with some thoughtful searching using google.  If things like this are that troubling for you, maybe you should stick with an Xbox 360.

DrVanNostren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DrVanNostren

Definitely not having the same problems with Steam that you are.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Absurd

I reinstalled steam when I got that error once, and I could install all my games. Steam>Your bitching.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Cube
    Geno said:
    "

Bulldog19892 said:

"

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By TonicBH

I never thought I'd find anybody who still hates Steam. Yeah, I hated it back when the first UT3 free weekend happened, but the second one was redeemed there.

Seriously, get in touch with Steam support and not bitch about it on a non-related website.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By BawlZINmotion

10 years later what? Steam setup shop in the fall of 2004 alongside Half-Life 2.

As for your problems, bad luck and the inability (or just lazyness) to look into what ails you are likely the problem. I've been using Steam since its inception and only had two Steam related network issues. Day one trying to authorize Half-Life 2 and the free UT3 weekend. The unavailable game problem is easy to fix, and if you actually did communicate with Steam about it they would have included a link to a Steam forum containing helpful solutions. I've had that particular problem twice and it takes 5 minutes to fix.

Stop fucking whining for the sake of whining before your stinky shit catches up with you.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By toowalrus
    keyhunter said:
    But now here I am almost 10 years later finally getting forced to use it for Dawn of War 2.
    ???
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By mike
    TooWalrus said:
    "keyhunter said:
    But now here I am almost 10 years later finally getting forced to use it for Dawn of War 2.
    ???"
    The disc version of Dawn of War II still requires Steam and Games for Windows Live.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By toowalrus
    MB said:
    "TooWalrus said:
    "keyhunter said:
    ???"
    The disc version of Dawn of War II still requires Steam and Games for Windows Live."
    Oh really? That is pretty lame. What's the reason for that eh?
    singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By singular

I rarely run into any problems with steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.