Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000

Franchise »

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is a science fantasy tabletop game created by Games Workshop. The most successful transition to video games has been the Dawn of War real-time strategy series, from Relic Entertainment.

Warhammer 40K license goes to...Slitherine??

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/warhammer-40k-video-game-licence/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The only thing I know about this company is they made the software for that Deadliest Warrior show to simulate battles. I don't know what that means for the game, has anyone played any of their stuff? Relic has consistently made awesome 40K games and I'm kinda bummed that we wont be getting any more from them. I guess maybe these guys could come up with something great but...I dunno man. Better then Relic?

Someone reassure me please. I just need to know everything will be ok. For the Emperor :(

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a dark day for us all...No more blood for the blood god, no more skulls for the skull throne.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thesoutherndandy:I wish i could tell you everything will be alright and we will continue to get great Warhammer 40k games, but this is disconcerting news to hear indeed. An untested studio taking control of an IP people have high expectations for rarely turns out well.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
    FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was gonna be a Harry Potter joke or something.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

this is the end

beautiful friend

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

"primarily develops strategy games"

ok, that spells turn based to me, so i'll give them a chance.

i just hope they go all in on a killer art department.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Who the hell are these people? I've never heard of these developers. How did they manage to outbid Sega for the license? Unless...wait...did Sega not want the license?

EDIT: Oh...they make shitty History Channel games. Awesome.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By konig_kei

Hoooooly shit, what the he'll will relic make now? All they got is like coh, I love coh but I don't want one every year.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

10 Points for Slitherine.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've heard they haven't got exclusive access to the 40k license.

It's more worrying that Games workshop are handing the license around so easily, they seemed to be far more careful when they were dealing with THQ.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli

SEGA got the rights too I believe. Creative Assembly (Total War franchise & some such) is making a 40k game. SEGA also recently acquired Relic. In other words - Warhammer 40k could not be in more competent hands. Guess that Slitherine deal is just a one-off license or something like that.

Really hope that Relic gets to iterate on Warhammer 40k: Space Marine - its simple but immensely satisfying gameplay is pure flippin' gold! A combined arms *Battlefield-style* game by Relic? Maybe in 3rd person for the melee aspect of the Warhammer 40k universe? Sign me up man!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no such thing as an 'exclusive' license on w40k games these days. Let the Spice flow and enjoy. What will be, will be.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@seppli said:

SEGA got the rights too I believe. Creative Assembly (Total War franchise & some such) is making a 40k game. SEGA also recently acquired Relic. In other words - Warhammer 40k could not be in more competent hands. Guess that Slitherine deal is just a one-off license or something like that.

Really hope that Relic gets to iterate on Warhammer 40k: Space Marine - its simple but immensely satisfying gameplay is pure flippin' gold! A combined arms *Battlefield-style* game by Relic? Maybe in 3rd person for the melee aspect of the Warhammer 40k universe? Sign me up man!

See, I didn't know this. This is reassuring. I don't really care about the 40K universe but I've really enjoyed the games.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Creative Assembly get the Alien -and- the w40k license? Man. Now I'm excited for two potentially great games.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duders cool down. It's important to note however that Relic does not hold the SOLE 40k license. It seems GW is finally becoming less protective of it's coveted 40k licence and has decided to grant it to 3 separate developers.

Relic still (likely) holds a licence for whatever 40k project they still have in development over there. Given their long relationship with GW and the fan reception to those games I can't imagine GW doesn't renew their liscence should they decide to make another 40K game in the future.

Full Control also holds a 40k licence for new Space Hulk game they're currently developing.

In addition Slitherine also has been granted a licence and while their name doesn't carry as much weight as some like Relic, if you look at their catalogue, they at least seem very dedicated to traditional real-time and turned based wargames. Something which I'm sure GW took into consideration. I remember even before Relic made the first DOW, people in the 40k tabletop community were absolutely clamoring for a digital, mostly rule accurate turned-based strategy game with all the craziness that goes a long with that. While DOW was great and a lot of people in the community were swayed by it, I think there's still been an itch to make a real-ass 40k videogame for the hardcore fans. I am hoping that whatever game Slitherine announces will be this.

GW is diversifying which is smart.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: Space Marine was pretty great, I do hope they uncancel Space marine 2.

Shame latency in multiplayer made melee really terrible.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Alright, hearing that they don't have the sole license makes me feel so much better. Disaster averted. I am interested to see what these guys will make, maybe going a little larger scale then what Relic is doing. DoW2 is great but I sorta miss base building.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

See, I didn't know this. This is reassuring. I don't really care about the 40K universe but I've really enjoyed the games.

I believe CA actually has the Warhammer Fantasy license not the 40k one.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no such thing as an 'exclusive' license on w40k games these days. Let the Spice flow and enjoy. What will be, will be.

This sounds likely. If this Sitherine company had won an exclusive licence then they would be shouting about it as it would, righly be huge news. All they have said is they are making a 40k game. Singular.

Now it could be that Sega/Relic don't want to play if they can't secure an exclusive licence but if they are willing, it clearly shows GW are open to licencing offers on a game by game basis.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duders cool down. It's important to note however that Relic does not hold the SOLE 40k license. It seems GW is finally becoming less protective of it's coveted 40k licence and has decided to grant it to 3 separate developers.

I agree but I would say they are still being protective. They are licencing on a game by game basis. Presumably even Relic will have to pitch future games for approval.

They need to shop that licence about though. Making miniatures and selling rule sets is a declining market. They have tried to get in to animated movies (with poor results) but their publishing arm is selling an awful lot of books. Compare this with the licensed (declared non cannon now) 40k books released in the early 90's.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By artelinarose

As much as I love 40k, I think it would be really cool to see Infinity get a video game.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people in the 40k tabletop community were absolutely clamoring for a digital, mostly rule accurate turned-based strategy game with all the craziness that goes a long with that. While DOW was great and a lot of people in the community were swayed by it, I think there's still been an itch to make a real-ass 40k videogame for the hardcore fans. I am hoping that whatever game Slitherine announces will be this.

Being accurate to the current table top rules would be an absolute turn off for me, since the last few editions of the 40k ruleset have been a mess in one way or the other. I have very little interest in 40k beyond the fiction and what Dan Abnett writes.

Making miniatures and selling rule sets is a declining market.

Actually they've lost a portion of their audience to other less expensive table top games.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@funkydupe said:

Did Creative Assembly get the Alien -and- the w40k license? Man. Now I'm excited for two potentially great games.

In reading that, I just imagined a Relic-developed Aliens RTS and both my heart jumped out of my chest and my penis became fully erect at the same time.

That was a weird feeling...that I need to feel again. Re-reading your sentence now...repeatedly...

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scroll said:

@alternate said:

Actually they've lost a portion of their audience to other less expensive table top games.

I cannot speak for any of the places outside of our area, but all three game stores in the area I live in have stopped playing 40k pretty much 100%. People got tired of their bad rules, shitty customer service and overpriced, inferior pieces of resin. The store I work at is almost exclusively Warmachine and Infinity now, with Firestorm Armada beginning to take off.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I thought Hufflepuff had a chance. Too bad.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@scroll said:

@alternate said:

I cannot speak for any of the places outside of our area, but all three game stores in the area I live in have stopped playing 40k pretty much 100%. People got tired of their bad rules, shitty customer service and overpriced, inferior pieces of resin. The store I work at is almost exclusively Warmachine and Infinity now, with Firestorm Armada beginning to take off.

Same here. There's barely anyone that plays 40K. Everything is Warmachine. Even then, though, TCG is where it's at if you are wanting to make money. Anyone will pick up on a TCG for the hell of it. Inexpensive to get started, and even if it dies, you can say it didn't cost much to enjoy it for its short time.

That reminds me: anyone wanna buy some WoW TCG stuff? Like...a lot of it? I....have a friend?....that has a lot of them. O_____O

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By supamon

Let's just hope they make something good with it. I want to see more races involved instead of the usual space marines vs x race that was secretly being controlled by chaos legions. Give the other races a chance to shine!

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@supamon said:

Let's just hope they make something good with it. I want to see more races involved instead of the usual space marines vs x race that was secretly being controlled by chaos legions. Give the other races a chance to shine!

Come on dude the Marines are the Warhammer 40K franchise.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By scroll

@thedudeofgaming: Yup, Half the codex's are literally Marines. The Xeno's aren't all that interesting anyway, Orks have very simple motivation, 'Nids just want to consome everything and Eldar are space elves.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy the Imperial Guard stories.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.