Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 18, 2008

An MMORPG based on the Games Workshop franchise developed by Mythic Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts. Some of the features were brutal RvR battles (Realm vs Realm) and siege warfare. Warhammer Online was shut down December 18th, 2013.

Endless Trial

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By joshs
    joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By joshs

I only hope!

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Kohe321

WAR isn't doing too well... First the firing of 80 (?) Mythic staffers, and now this? 

@PeasForFees said:

" Not like this 2! "

I think you are right about that, sadly.
    joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshs

To be clear, I don't hope the game shuts down. I just hope GB covers it like they did the Matrix when it does happen. (WHEN)

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Driadon

Which is too bad, WAR was a quality product. No, it's no WoW killer and sadly EA thought it was going to be just that.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joshs

I never played more than a trial. At the time of release, I was playing WoW very rarely because I was busy with school and work. By the time I had time, a new dungeon had released in WoW so I got sucked into that. I enjoyed the trial a great deal even though it was very empty (player wise) everywhere I went. Maybe I picked a bad server or something..no idea.  I might check it out after finals now that I can login whenever.  

Not that it will help the game stay alive..but at least I can speak about the game itself more intelligently.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Evilsbane

WAR is not a bad game it just wasn't what i wanted. . . which is DAOC 2 which now that most of Mythic is gone seems like a pipe dream :(

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Deusoma
    @JoshS: 
    Well, The Matrix Online had been active since early 2005. There was time for people to get really, really into it as an MMO, which was the original point of Not Like This, looking in on how the hardcore fans who still remained felt about the game being shut down. Warhammer Online, on the other hand, came out last year. In all likelihood if they announce they're going to pull the plug, people will just give up, and the place will be even deader than MxO was.
    joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshs
    @Deusoma said:
    " @JoshS: 
    Well, The Matrix Online had been active since early 2005. There was time for people to get really, really into it as an MMO, which was the original point of Not Like This, looking in on how the hardcore fans who still remained felt about the game being shut down. Warhammer Online, on the other hand, came out last year. In all likelihood if they announce they're going to pull the plug, people will just give up, and the place will be even deader than MxO was. "
    Oh I know. I remember when Matrix Online was first announced, I was extremely excited. Then it came out and I forgot about it until the free trials happened. Played for less than 6 hours before I decided I didn't like it but I knew it would have a hardcore niche audience.  

With all the recent MMO releases, the various server mergers, and then extreme decline in playerbase to a point where the company is better off shutting the server down, it just gives me more and more reason to believe that the only successful MMO in the same vein as WoW will be released after WoW is down to being populated by a similarly hardcore niche audience.  

No matter how long that is from now, I find the shutdowns to be more evidence of it being true. Blizzard pretty much has that market locked down and they won't be letting go any time soon.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pazy

I just got WAR, I wanted to play an MMO with a friend and hes really into Warhammer, and while I cant tell you how many people there will be later on I know from the starting area (Order side at least since thats what im playing) arent super full but im seeing players quite a lot and I got into some Faction PVP (just in the world, outwith scenario based combat) and in an area of about 100m square there was about 20 people on either side getting involved the combat and more going through. The world easily feels like it has enough people in it for me and according to the chat I was playing at a quiet time (1am GMT and im on the european version) so I have to assume that playing at like 8pm at night there will probably be even more people.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Adamantium

WAR is alright, but EA and Mythic thought they were going to draw a lot of WoW's userbase. It's just not true. WAR is lame for PvE, PvP got too repetitive, and they should have given more bonuses to those who joined from Day 1. Too bad; it had potnetial.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

WAR is sitting on something like 300,000 people right now.  Given that Vanguard is still operating with less than that, I think it's safe to say that Warhammer doesn't have to go under anytime soon.  The game was really well built, and we've got a few guys that still play it up here at the store.  Unfortunately, it's not as accessible as WoW.  If they took a page from the book of Dungeons & Dragons Online and went free-to-player with some microtransaction setups, though, I think WAR would be one of the best packages for "free" available! 

Nonetheless, I think I need to try this endless trial out and get back into the game.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

If it's endless, it's not a trial.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187
    @ADTR_ZERO said:

" If it's endless, it's not a trial. "

From what I'm to understand, it is still very much a "trial", where you have certain restrictions.  No sending mail, no selling items on AH, and you get shelved once you hit level 10.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Crono

It's too bad, really, because this game (at least when it came out, which was when i played it) wasn't really all that bad.  I enjoyed it quite a bit, actually.  I have no idea what it is like now, though.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By YoungFrey

Technically the endless trial is limited to 1-11.  Not that that makes a real difference.  And the other big restriction is you can't choose most of the servers.  If you want to avoid the server restriction, you can get a Refer A Friend account.  It's otherwise the same but you can pick any server.  I'm sure any trip to a message board of fan site would get you one.  When I tried the Endless Trial this weekend there were a lot of players in the starting zones, more than I see in WoW on my ~2000 Horde player server.  Which might mean a couple things

1. The free trial is popular.
    2. It's just the concentrating effect of having every free trial go to 3 servers (PVE, PVP, RP). 
    3. Paying players are rolling a lot of alts
    4. (the very devious paranoid answer) They are fake.  Either AI or shills, created to lure players into thinking it's more popular.  I have no evidence that this is true, I'm just thinking of what I'd do if I was desperate and evil.
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Chummy8

I'm still probably going to go back in for a month and see how it is. 

PATERSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By PATERSON

Awesome, time to download I guess. Thanks for the info mate.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Feanor

I really wish this game would have been better. They should have delayed it a few more months before launching it, it just lacked way to much polish and content. That and it had a lot of balance issues, having unique classes really bit them in the ass. 

But this trial doesn't give you a whole lot. Sure you could just hit level 10 and twink yourself out for teir 1, but that would just get old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.