Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 18, 2008

An MMORPG based on the Games Workshop franchise developed by Mythic Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts. Some of the features were brutal RvR battles (Realm vs Realm) and siege warfare. Warhammer Online was shut down December 18th, 2013.

Giving WAR a chance

Osphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Osphere

After following it for far too long.  The Mac client release pushed me over.  I'm having fun so far, which is what I care about, though I'm figuring out quick that the game could use a good amount of polish and tweaking in some key areas (which Mythic assures users it is hard at work on).  I'm not sure what to make of the whole Bioware restructuring thing, but I'm hoping the game rebounds, at least to a certain degree.  The team make-up is still great, despite Mark Jacobs leaving, I just really hope things can start to gain momentum again.

What's everyone else thinking?  Wanting to try the game?  Jaded but willing to try it again if there are substantial improvements?  Other?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

I tried it and it wasn't for me.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I got over it. It still is very dear to my heart though, I wasn't sad to let it go, but I don't want to see it die.

Even though I don't play anymore I'm still aware of the updates coming to it and check their Herald every once in a while.

I waited for this game I saw it go from Closed beta to release I felt like I had watched this game grow and I can't really let it go.

Osphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Osphere
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " I got over it. It still is very dear to my heart though, I wasn't sad to let it go, but I don't want to see it die.  Even though I don't play anymore I'm still aware of the updates coming to it and check their Herald every once in a while.  I waited for this game I saw it go from Closed beta to release I felt like I had watched this game grow and I can't really let it go. "
    I feel in a way the same; all of Paul's video blogs and the energy from everyone on the team leading up launch was enough to draw in even the slightly interested.  I'd love to see it live up to the expectations, and the potential.
    xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By xxNBxx

I played it for the first 2 months it came out.  In the first month it was a lot of fun, tons of ppl playing the game, never had a problem finding a group for PQs.  I had a hard time picking a class, so I was playing all of them.  By the time I got to the second month, I had a 10 characters all between 10 and 20.  Then I hit a brick wall called no players my lvl.   I couldn't do the PQs, there was no one to fight in open world PvP, it got real boring.  So I just stopped playing.  If I had friends to play with I would have stuck with it but non of my friends wanted to leave WoW.    

As far as the game quality, graphically it was nice, PvP was fun, spells were ok (not as cool as WoW spells)    

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Gunner

The only thing holding the game back is level progression.

everything else is simply amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I couldn't get into it because the urge to compare it to WoW kept haunting me. As a result, the PvE felt sluggish, and while the PvP was mildly amusing it didn't capture my interest for that long. I think I left after the second or third week, yet in my fickleness I carried remorse because I knew that I had abandoned the little guy only to return to the monster known as WoW. But what can I say -- WoW was just a better game.

AngryKraut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By AngryKraut

I played the BETA for a year, than about 2 more months after release...it just wasn't for me. I think after so many years of WoW, MMORPG's all feel the same now haha

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By tekmojo
    @CL60 said:
    " I tried it and it wasn't for me. "
    Same. I still get frustrated about how Warhammer stands around other franchises today. It seems like a universe for loads of potential. For all that lore they don't necessarily do the best job presenting it to modern gamers. I wondered why they couldn't focus on more of the single-player aspect to reel in some new players. I think that's where they hurt the most; still, an elf is an elf, no matter what his origins are.
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By jimbo_n

I played the beta and some months after release to then stop at rank 28. I recently went back and ranked up a new char to 31 and stopped again. Its a great MMO, probably the best next to WoW at the moment but unless you are playing with a big group of IRL friends the game gets way to slow and unsocial in the late 20s to keep you interested. At rank 31 I could also see the "end" of the leveling and realized the community is way to dead, the server pop way to low and the RvR waay to clunky for the interest stay high once you´re done leveling. The framerate issues were there at launch and they are just as bad now which also bums me out. 
    Still, I´ve probably put in around a thousand or so hours into this game since the open beta and its vide variety of classes and the strong conflict between the factions is superb and enough to keep me coming back from time to time.
    Osphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Osphere
    Good to hear from those who have had some experience with it; I appreciate the responses.

Anyone had a chance to test the new city siege mechanics on the PTR?  I hear generally good things about them, considering that the old mechanics, in conjunction with Tier 4's other shortcomings, were common complaints.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pazy

While it isnt neccaserily what you originally asked perhaps it might be helpful to also say why I (or others) never played WAR, beyond of course simply not liming MMORPG's. For me a lot of the stuff leading up to it seemed interesting like Public Quests and the Tome of Knowledge (since im an explorer and have no real interesting in killing and leveling except to allow me to explore). But the reason I havent even picked up up or even tried a free trial (assuming there is one but I cant justifly the download time and amount on my terrible connection) is mainly that the lore and the story didnt seem interesting and no matter how much footage I looked at (and I looked at lots of it for a long time lol) it never seemed varied enough to really push me to explore and when I play MMORPG's (though it is almost against the point of an MMO) I generally like Solo play so a PvP focus wasent interesting to me.

The MMO that has grabbed my interest is LotRO (Lord of the Rings Online) because it has a focus on lore and story and instead of straight PvP it has "Monster Play" which lets you play as a monster in a specific area and do some killing, exploration and I think even some quest type things. To me the Story focus a second way to play is whats interesting me about LotRO online and whats not interesting me about WAR is its heavy PvP focus (which can be awsome just not for me) and I havent never really gotten interested in Warhammer's Lore (though 40k is more my style) whereas Tolkien's world appeals to me a lot more.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jimbo_n

I think the Warhammer lore is some of the best out there and theres alot of it in WAR. But the world itself is really not made for exploring. The zones on the world map is more like dead waiting spaces between scenarios. Exploring brings alot of rewards tho. You unlock unique items and gear by finding really oscure creatures and places in the world along with lore unlocks for your findings. Its a shame then that the world itself feels very much dead while you are exploring.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pazy
    @Jimbo_N said:
    "

the world itself feels very much dead while you are exploring.

"
    The world itself feels dead or that there isnt enough players to make it feel alive?
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jimbo_n

Both. But I was referring to the actual design of the zones. The attention and care to every nook and cranny that can be found in other MMO´s just dosent exist in WAR. It rewards you for exploring its world but the world itself is made with a PvP focus in mind. 

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pazy
    @Jimbo_N said:
    " Both. But I was referring to the actual design of the zones. The attention and care to every nook and cranny that can be found in other MMO´s just dosent exist in WAR. It rewards you for exploring its world but the world itself is made with a PvP focus in mind.     "

Now I have even less reason to try it, the design not only has to be visually interesting and varied but also has to have a lot of care taken in it to make me want to keep exploring. Thanks for the info :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.