Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Watch Dogs

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 27, 2014

A third-person open-world game from Ubisoft, set in an alternate version of Chicago where the entire city is connected under a single network, and a vigilante named Aiden Pearce uses it to fight back against a conspiracy.

Will watchdogs suffer from open world fatigue?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After playing sr4, gta5, ac4 and to a lesser extent batman origins. Will people or reviewers be too tired of open world games by the time it comes out?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends. If Chicago is as detailed as los santos (LA) Then it will be nice to explore it but i see where you are coming from with the fatigue. So many open world games this year.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And they all are out at about the same time

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I think it's more likely people will be having ubisoft open world fatigue. If you have to climb some sort of tower to reveal the map like in AC and Far Cry then it's gonna be a very "not this again" moment.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: they have something better than towers! they have these control stations that you have to take over so you can use your hacking abilities!

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: you don't climb towers but you do take over strongholds

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that depends entirely on how well built Chicago is in the game. I thought I was done with open-world games for a while, but Los Santos in GTA V was so detailed that the open-world didn't feel like a chore to navigate between missions(which is usually my biggest problem with the genre). If more developers could get that level of detail into their worlds, I think fatigue would a much lesser issue.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

For me it won't since I'm holding out for the inevitable GTA V PC release and I haven't bothered with Saints Row IV and I won't be bothered with Assassin's Creed IV. Also, Watch_Dogs is going to have a much different tone than GTA V and Saints Row and a vastly different gameplay style. I can't speak for reviewers, though.

I'm still very excited for Watch_Dogs. Maybe not as excited as when we all went apeshit at E3 2012, but still excited anyway.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really give a shit what reviewers think. They can whine about "waah too many open world games that we get to play for free and early" fuck them.

I like open world games.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think the tone of the game differs enough from GTA5 and SR4 that it shouldn't matter especially if the single player story is any good. The multiplayer invading aspect could also make the open world extra interesting since a player can literally go on a city wide chase. Maybe I'm just a sucker for near-future cyperpunk dystopias, but next to GTA5, this is the game I'm most anticipating. The fact that its a new IP alone instead of the fourth or fifth iteration of a game has me interested.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By darkvare

you know what would be a refreshing way of discovering the map going to a gas station and buying a freaking map

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

After finally beating GTAV I'd say my interest in playing an open world game right now is roughly 0%. There are just some genres I can't play back to back very well, no matter how much I love them.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

who the fuck knows!

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Nasar7

I'm not convinced Ubi can pull off a good open world.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasar7: those assassin's creed games are good and those farcry games too.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#16 chaser324  Moderator

I think it's more likely people will be having ubisoft open world fatigue. If you have to climb some sort of tower to reveal the map like in AC and Far Cry then it's gonna be a very "not this again" moment.

This is definitely my concern. After all those Assassin's Creed and Far Cry games, will Watch_Dogs be doing enough new stuff to keep me interested? The flood of Ubisoft marketing is also kinda making me tired of Watch_Dogs itself before it even gets released.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mosespippy

@jz said:

People generally consider AC2 and AC Brotherhood to be the best of the series. I played them both and I don't think either was good enough to warrant a sequel.* And people only consider the first half of FC3 to be good.

*I wouldn't have even played Brotherhood except I got it for Christmas.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Nasar7

@jz said:

People generally consider AC2 and AC Brotherhood to be the best of the series. I played them both and I don't think either was good enough to warrant a sequel.* And people only consider the first half of FC3 to be good.

*I wouldn't have even played Brotherhood except I got it for Christmas.

Exactly what I was going to say.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that's why I was relieved when my local electronics store said they sold out of PS4s until late January. I want to play Watch Dogs but I'm afraid that after GTA V I wouldn't be interested in playing another open world game for a while.

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It hasn't come out yet. It's too early to say.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am on PC so I didn't have a chance to play GTA5 (thanks Rockstar), so for me this isn't true. Actually I'm really really really looking forward to WatchDogs. I think even if I did play GTA I would. Everything I've seen of WatchDogs looks fresh and interesting to me and I love that UBI puts out a new IP.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ares42

Personally I've been looking forward to it. I absolutely love open-world games and there's still plenty of room to impress. SR4 was great, I was not overly impressed with GTA 5 as an open-world game and I'm not expecting Batman Origins to blow me away, so if Ubisoft delivers it'll be a nice upswing in quality. I don't really think most people will play all of them back to back anyways, but I do see the concern of putting out AC and Watch_Dogs so close to each other though. What's even worse is that if you're waiting to play on next-gen or PC they are literally availbale on the same day.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By musubi

I think after GTA V they are going to have a hard battle to get people away from that. Especially if the online really catches people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.