Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (known in Japan as Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! METEOR) is a 3D sci-fi fantasy free-form fighting game developed by Spike and published for the PlayStation 2 in Japan (by Namco Bandai on October 4, 2007), Europe (by Namco Bandai on November 9, 2007), and North America (by Atari on November 13, 2007). It was also released for the Wii in Japan, North America (on December 3, 2007), and Europe (on February 15, 2008).
It is the third in the "Budokai Tenkaichi" trilogy of Dragon Ball fighting games (and the sequel to Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2). Along with several new gameplay mechanics, the game adds 24 new playable characters and transformations (for a total of 144 playable characters, the largest playable roster of any Dragon Ball game at that time). It also unlocks most of the roster from the start.
Along with a new replay saving feature, the game includes a special feature for each game platform. For the PS2 version, players can use the "Disc Fusion" mode to unlock new game modes (by letting the game validate the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 game discs). For the Wii version, players can play online multiplayer (the first game in the Dragon Ball series to do so).
The game later received a spiritual sequel, titled Dragon Ball: Raging Blast.
Unless otherwise specified, none of these characters are playable from the start and must be unlocked beforehand.
- Goku (normal, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3, Super Saiyan 4, kid, and kid Great Ape)
- Gohan (kid, teen, teen Super Saiyan, teen Super Saiyan 2, adult, adult Super Saiyan, adult Super Saiyan 2, adult "Great Saiyaman", and adult "Ultimate")
- Raditz (normal and Great Ape)
- Nappa (normal and Great Ape)
- Vegeta (Saiyan Saga, Great Ape, Android Saga, Android Saga Super Saiyan, Android Saga "Super Vegeta", Majin Buu Saga, Majin Buu Saga Super Saiyan, Majin Buu Saga Super Saiyan 2, "Majin", and Super Saiyan 4)
- Frieza Soldier
- Zarbon (normal and transformed)
- Captain Ginyu
- Frieza (first, second, third, final, 100% final, and Mecha forms)
- Garlic Jr. (normal and transformed)
- Trunks (future timeline, future timeline post-training, future timeline Super Saiyan, future timeline post-training Super Saiyan, and future timeline "Super Trunks")
- Dr. Gero
- Android 19
- Android 17
- Android 18
- Android 16
- Cell Jr.
- Cell (imperfect, semi-perfect, perfect, and super perfect forms)
- Goten (normal and Super Saiyan)
- Trunks (normal and Super Saiyan)
- Gotenks (normal, Super Saiyan, and Super Saiyan 3)
- Videl (normal and "Great Saiyaman 2")
- Supreme Kai (normal and fused w/ Kibito)
- Vegito (normal and Super Saiyan)
- Majin Buu (Good, Evil, Super, Super w/ Gotenks absorbed, Super w/ Gohan absorbed, and Pure forms)
- Turles (normal and transformed)
- Lord Slug (normal and transformed)
- Cooler (fourth and final forms)
- Android #13 (normal and transformed)
- Broly (normal, Super Saiyan, and Legendary Super Saiyan)
- Bojack (normal and transformed)
- Gogeta (Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 4)
- Janemba (normal and transformed)
- Bardock (normal and Great Ape)
- Uub (normal and fused w/ Majin Buu)
- Baby (Vegeta, Super Vegeta, Super Vegeta 2, and Golden Great Ape forms)
- Super 17
- Syn Shenron (normal and Omega Shenron)
- Master Roshi (normal and "max power")
- Emperor Pilaf (Pilaf Machine and Pilaf Machine combined w/ Shu's Pilaf Machine, both unlockable)
- General Tao (normal, with an unlockable "Cyborg" version)
- King Piccolo (unlockable)