Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, the standalone update to Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, was first revealed on July 20, 2011 and features:
- 12 new fighters bringing the total roster up to 50
- 8 new stages from the Marvel and Capcom Universes
- New modes and a more comprehensive online experience including a Spectator Mode
- Rebalanced gameplay
- A cosmetic redesign including a new HUD
Background - An occasional enemy of Arthur and a hero in his own series, Firebrand is a fire-breathing demon/gargoyle on a quest to defend the village he calls home.
Fighting Style - His ability to cancel in and out of flight almost at will allows Firebrand to dominate the air, approaching his enemies with attacks from odd angles that are very difficult to defend against.
- First Appearance: Ghosts n' Goblins
- Attire Description: Revamped
- Normal Moves: Devil's Claw
- Special Moves: Bon Voyage, Demon Missile*, Hell Dive, Hell Spitfire*, Hell's Elevator, Hover
- Hyper Combos: Chaos Tide**, Dark Fire*, Luminous Body
- Assists: α - Hell Spitfire; β - Demon Missile; γ - Demon Missile
- Color #2: Blue & yellow (Capcom logo)
- Color #3: Yellow & silver (primary colors)
- Color #4: Demonic
- Color #5: Stone statue
- Color #6: Green Goblin
Background - Always willing to go the extra mile for a story, Frank "I've covered wars" West is a freelance photographer who became an unlikely hero after investigating a zombie outbreak in Willamette, Colorado.
Fighting Style - Bringing the flavor of Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2 into the world of Marvel vs. Capcom, Frank West wields a variety of mundane and combo weapons as he levels himself up through a unique photography mechanic. While his zombie summoning abilities grant him some flexibility at longer ranges, his main goal should be to reach level 4 in order to unlock the dominating paddle saw.
- First Appearance: Dead Rising
- Attire Description: Dead Rising
- Normal Moves: Knee Drop, Object Throw
- Special Moves: Barrel Roll, Bottoms Up, Giant Swing, Hammer Throw, Object Throw, Roundhouse Kick, Snapshot, Tools of Survival
- Hyper Combos: Blue Light Special, Funny Face Crusher, Survival Techniques
- Assists: α - Shopping Cart; β - Tools of Survival; γ - Pick Me Up
- Color #2: Red Wine
- Color #3: Cuban gangster inspired
- Color #4: Mobster inspired
- Color #5: Chuck Greene (Dead Rising 2)
- Color #6: Spotted coat
Background - Nemesis is a bio-weapon developed by the Umbrella Corporation with keen intellect and massive strength. Nigh indestructible, It is unrelenting in its mission to terminate the surviving members of S.T.A.R.S. including Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine.
Fighting Style - Nemesis is a lumbering fighter with slow, deliberate movements. While it prefers to fight at close range, it's variety of tentacle attacks and trusty bazooka give it the flexibility to fight at mid and full-screen.
- First Appearance: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
- Attire Description: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
- Normal Moves: Deadly Reach
- Special Moves: Clothesline Rocket, Launcher Slam, Rocket Launcher, Tentacle Slam
- Hyper Combos: Biohazard Rush, Bioweapon Assault, Fatal Mutation**
- Assists: α - Clothesline Rocket; β - Launcher Slam; γ - Rocket Launcher
- Color #2: Dried blood red
- Color #3: Zombie green
- Color #4: Corpse blue
- Color #5: Dainty pink
- Color #6: "Nurse Nemesis"
Background - With the help of his assistant Maya Fey and her mystical Magatama, Phoenix Wright has defended the innocent time and time again in the court of law. He is always ready to point his finger and shout "Objection!" when presented with anything but the truth.
Fighting Style - Although he's not much of a fighter, Phoenix Wright can manage to do a decent amount of accidental damage as he files paperwork and searches for clues, relying on allies like Maya Fey and Missile to help buy time distracting the enemy. As a unique three-stance character, his goal is to gather enough evidence while in Investigation Mode to strike the enemy with an Objection! while in Courtroom Mode in order to enter his powered-up Turnabout Mode.
- First Appearance: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
- Attire Description: Ace Attorney
- Normal Moves: Bridge to the Turnabout, Cross-Examination, Illuminating Point, "Just a Little More...!", Note Scribbling, Pursuit, Slip-up, Questioning
- Special Moves: Break the Witness, Discard, Investigate, "M-Maya!?", Mode Change, Paperwork, Paperwork Storm, Present Evidence, Press the Witness
- Hyper Combos: Ace Attorney**, "Order in the Court!", Steel Samurai Maya Smelting!
- Assists: α - Paperwork (High); β - Press the Witness; γ - "Get 'em, Missile!"
Background - A top-ranking member of the secret Striders organization, Strider expertly wields his plasma-generating blade Cypher as he does his duties as a spy and assassin.
Fighting Style - A character with many options, Strider's effective keepaway tactics using his wide variety of robotic projectiles are only outshone by his amazing melee pressure skills, getting in close with a variety of teleports and keeping the opponent on guard with his Ouruboros Hyper Combo.
- First Appearance: Strider
- Attire Description: Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes
- Normal Moves: Arch Cut, Slide
- Special Moves: Ame-No-Murakumo*, Climb, Cypher Attack, Descend, Dismount, Excalibur*, Formation A1, Formation A2, Formation B, Formation C, Gram, Jump Kick, Ladder Kick, Vajira*, Wall Cling, Wall Exchange
- Hyper Combos: Legion*, Ouruboros**, Ragnarok**
- Assists: α - Ame-No-Murakumo; β - Gram; γ - Vajira
Background - Dante's more mature twin brother, Vergil's quest for power led to him being enslaved by the demon Mundus. Transformed into the armored warrior Nelo Angelo, he was ultimately defeated by his brother. His current whereabouts are unknown.
Fighting Style - Combined with a sword that reaches halfway across the screen, Vergil has an arsenal of tools to deal with almost any situation. He's at his most dangerous when he combines his summoned swords with various teleports to open his opponent up for a lengthy combo.
- First Appearance: Devil May Cry
- Attire Description: Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
- Normal Moves: Helmet Breaker, High Time, Stinger, Upper Slash
- Special Moves: Judgement Cut, Lunar Phase, Rapid Slash, Rising Sun, Round-Trip, Trick, Trick Down, Trick Up
- Hyper Combos: Blistering Swords, Dark Angel**, Devil Trigger, Dimension Slash, Spiral Swords, Summoned Swords, Sword Storm
- Assists: α - Judgement Cut; β - Rising Sun; γ - Rapid Slash
Background - Doctor Strange was a successful doctor before nerve damage forced him to quit his practice in search for a mystical cure. He served as Earth's Sorcerer Supreme for many years, but recently lost the title and is currently lending his unique abilities to the New Avengers.
Fighting Style - Preferring to face his foes from afar, Doctor Strange's strength lies in his ability to fill the screen with a wide variety of projectiles. While he lacks the mobility of an air-dash, his ability to instantly teleport can help him navigate the playing field in a pinch.
- First Appearance: Strange Tales #110
- Attire Description: Classic blue & red
- Normal Moves: Illusion, Impact Palm
- Special Moves: Bolts of Balthakk, Daggers of Denak, Eye of Agamotto, Flames of the Faltine, Flight, Grace of Hoggoth, Mystic Sword, Teleport
- Hyper Combos: Astral Magic**, Seven Rings of Raggador, Spell of Vishanti
- Assists: α - Daggers of Denak; β - Eye of Agamotto; γ - Bolts of Balthakk
Background - To save the life of a loved one, Johnny Blaze sold his soul to Mephisto. Now he is bound to the demon Zarithos, forced to take on the persona of the Ghost Rider whenever in the presence of evil.
Fighting Style - Ghost Rider utilizes an interesting combination of long-range chain whip attacks in conjunction with grapple abilities, making him a dangerous threat whether at mid-screen or point blank.
- First Appearance: Marvel Spotlight #5
- Attire Description: Classic black leather & chains
- Normal Moves: Heartless Spire, Rage Whip
- Special Moves: Chain of Punishment, Chain of Rebuttal*, Chaos Bringer, Conviction Slam, Hell's Embrace, Hellfire*, Judgement Strike
- Hyper Combos: Hellfire Maelstrom, Penance Stare**, Spirit of Vengeance*
- Assists: α - Chain of Rebuttal; β - Heartless Spire; γ - Hellfire
Background - The orphan Clint Barton spent his youth in the circus where he learned to become a master archer. Despite starting his costumed career as a reluctant villain, Hawkeye has since become a member of the Avengers and one of Earth's most reliable heroes.
Fighting Style - While his agility makes him no slouch up close, Hawkeye excels at controlling the screen and opponent at long-range with his myriad arrow attacks. Not content with just doing damage, he is able to inflict a wide variety of status ailments on his foes using a plethora of tools including a gradually draining poison arrow and a weighted arrow that removes opponent's ability to super-jump.
- First Appearance: Tales of Suspense #57
- Attire Description: Classic blue & purple
- Normal Moves: Double Roundhouse, Shock Value, Slide
- Special Moves: Quick Shot*, Ragtime Shot*, Trick Shot
- Hyper Combos: Gimlet*, Kiss of Fire, Tag Team Special**
- Assists: α - Quick Shot (Greyhound); β - Trick Shot (Violet Fizz); γ - Ragtime Shot (Kamikaze)
Background - Daniel Rand is a formidable martial artist and the 66th person granted the mystical powers of the Iron Fist. Previously heroes for hire, Daniel and his friend Luke Cage have recently become members of the New Avengers after purchasing the Avengers Mansion from Tony Stark.
Fighting Style - Iron Fist's offense revolves primarily around his various power-ups and chain specials. With low, overhead, OTG, crumple, pop-up, and wallbounce attacks that all cancel into one another, his ability to mix-up his opponents at melee range is unparalleled.
- First Appearance: Marvel Premiere #15
- Attire Description: Classic gold & green
- Normal Moves: Dual Palm, Quick Kick
- Special Moves: Chi, Crescent Heel, Dragon Tail, Dragon's Touch, Lotus Whip, Rising Fang, Surging Fist, Twin Snakes, Wall of K'un-Lun
- Hyper Combos: Dragon's Prey**, Iron Rage, Volcanic Roar
- Assists: α - Dragon's Touch; β - Crescent Heel; γ - Rising Fang
Background - Nova is the sole surviving member of the Nova Corps and wields the full power of the Nova Force. He now shoulders the burden of policing the entire universe in the absence of his comrades.
Fighting Style - Not be the subtlest of characters, Nova has numerous attacks that launch him across the screen at his opponent and with his various OTG, ground-bounce and wall-bounce specials, he can convert to a full combo in almost any situation.
- First Appearance: The Man Called Nova #1
- Attire Description: Modern black & gold
- Normal Moves: Nova Slam
- Special Moves: Centurion Rush, Energy Javelin, Flight, Gravimetric Pulse, Nova Strike
- Hyper Combos: Gravimetric Blaster, Human Rocket, Super Nova
- Assists: α - Gravimetric Pulse; β - Centurion Rush; γ - Nova Strike
Background - Accomplished star fighter pilot and master tactician, Rocket Raccoon is the standby leader for the Guardians of the Galaxy and has a special affinity for heavy weapons.
Fighting Style - Whether he's keeping the opponent at bay with a variety of traps and guns, or he's running circles around his opponent with his rocket skates, Rocket Raccoon is a fighter that is completely capable at any range.
- First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #271
- Attire Description: Modern blue & red
- Normal Moves: Wild Ripper
- Special Moves: Angel Gift, Claymore, Grab Bag, Mr. Flapper, Oil Bomb, Pendulum, Rocket Skates, Spitfire, Tunnel Rat
- Hyper Combos: Mad Hopper, Rock 'n' Roll, Rocky Raccoon**
- Assists: α - Spitfire Twice; β - Claymore; γ - Pendulum
* available in Simple Mode
** Level 3 Hyper Combo
Returning Capcom Characters
Background - A practitioner of the assassination art Ansatsuken and master of the murderous energies of the Satsui no Hadou, Akuma is on a constant quest to find warriors worthy of killing and, eventually, one he hopes will be strong enough to take his life.
- Health decreased to 750,000
- Hyakki Shuu can be performed in the air
- Tatsumaki Senpukyaku hit-box size reduced
- Tatsumaki Senpukyaku knock-back increased
- Messatsu-Gohado can be mashed for additional damage
- Tenma Gozanku can be mashed for additional damage
- Raging Demon can be mashed for additional damage
- Tatsumaki Senpukyaku assist soft knockdown attribute removed*
Background - After losing her physical form in order to seal the monstrous Orochi, the Goddess of the Sun Amaterasu was reborn as a white wolf. With the aid of her celestial brush and three divine instruments, she continues on her eternal quest to vanquish evil.
- Normal attack hit-stun decreased
- Crouching M hit-box decreased
- Crouching M active frames increased
- Glaive Chop hard knockdown attribute added
- Thunder Edge active frames increased
- Cold Star assist hit-stun decreased
- Weapon Change can be performed in the air
- Divine Instruments can be mashed for additional damage
- Color #1: Okami
- Color #2: Canine Warrior Take (Okami)
- Color #3: Canine Warrior Hayabusa (Okami)
- Color #4: Canine Warrior Ume (Okami)
- Color #5: Karmic Transformation 8 (Okami)***
- Color #6: Shiba inu***
Background - A noble knight and expert wielder of many weapons, Sir Arthur has vanquished every ghoul, ghost, and goblin that has stood between him and his beloved Princess Prin Prin.
- Health increased to 850,000
- Jumping S downward momentum increased
- Jumping S hits OTG
- Heavenly Slash invincibility frames added
- Hellbound Slash first hit hit-stun increased
- Goddess' Bracelet can be mashed for additional damage
Background - Originally a member of the S.T.A.R.S. Alpha team, Chris has since gone on to found the B.S.A.A. and is constantly going toe-to-toe with the Umbrella Corporation and their biological experiments.
- Dash can be canceled immediately
- Crouching H float increased
- Jumping S start-up frames reduced and active frames increased
- Command-normal gun attacks can be special-canceled
- Special attacks minimum damage scaling increased
- Combination Punch H first hit hit-stun decreased
- Prone Position can be canceled into Prone Shot earlier
- Shot Gun active frames increased
- Shot Gun damage decreased
- Sweep Combo Machinegun hits OTG
Background - While she has pitted her kung-fu mastery against a large variety of criminal organizations as a member of interpol, Chun-Li's true goal is to investigate her father's death at the hands of the mysterious Shadaloo syndicate.
- New EX Spinning Bird Kick special
- Standing M and crouching M can be jump-canceled
- Yosokyaku hits OTG
- Hyakuretsukyaku hit-box increased
- Kikoanken input window increased
- Tenshokyaku L arc decreased
- Tenshokyaku start-up reduced
- Tenshokyaku last hit hit-stun increased
- Tenshokyaku recovers immediately when performed in the air
- Kikosho can be mashed for additional damage
Background - Although she is an agent of the CIA, the advanced battle suit Crimson Viper (AKA Maya) wears was acquired during her time working as a double agent, infiltrating the S.I.N. Corporation.
- New Optic Laser special
- Thunder Knuckle L and M feint timing window increased
- Thunder Knuckle M forward momentum decreased
- Thunder Knuckle H is now subject to hit-stun scaling
Background - A hybrid child born from the demon knight Sparda and a human woman named Eva, Dante was inspired to become a devil hunter in order to seek retribution for his mother's murder.
- Knock-back of all attacks increased
- Hit-stun and float of all attacks adjusted
- Normal and special attack minimum damage scaling decreased
- Standing L and standing M hit-box decreased
- Clay Pigeon float decreased
- Bold Move cancel window decreased
- Special moves that were executed by performing the same command twice can now be done with one directional input followed by 2 repeated button inputs (e.g. Grapple previously QCF+H, QCF+H is now performed QCF+H,H)
- The Hammer start-up invincibility frames increased and overall invincibility frames reduced
- Volcano - Beehive damage decreased
- Beehive knock-back increased
- Ability to triple-jump or air-dash twice during Devil Trigger added
- Million Dollars can be mashed for additional damage
Background - A cat-woman raised by nuns, Felicia currently works in an orphanage where she dreams of becoming a music star.
- Toy Touch is now subject to hit-stun scaling
- Delta Kick can be performed in the air
- Delta Kick final hit ground-bounce attribute added when performed air-to-air in a combo
- Rolling Buckler no longer tracks opponent
- Sand Splash total frames decreased
- Sand Splash hits OTG
- Kitty Helper total frames decreased
- Dancing Flash can be mashed for additional damage
- Please Help Me can be mashed for additional damage
Background - As a former wrestler, Mike "The Fighting Mayor" Haggar has no problems taking the law into his own hands when protecting Metro City from the Mad Gear gang, especially when his daughter Jessica is one of the people in peril.
- Crouching H soft knockdown attribute replaced by hard knockdown attribute
- Crouching H hits OTG
- Crouching H can not be canceled
- Air-throw downward momentum increased
- Lariat assist start-up invincibility frames decreased
- Lariat assist hard knockdown attribute replaced by soft knockdown attribute
- Rapid Fire Fist start-up invincibility frames added
- Rapid Fire Fist can be mashed for additional damage
- Final Haggar Buster can have the joystick spun for additional damage
- Color #1: Final Fight
- Color #2: Camoflaged fatigues
- Color #3: Formal wear
- Color #4: Stately retired general
- Color #5: Rejuvenated and youthful***
- Color #6: Kraven the Hunter***
Background - Using forbidden magic, twin sisters transformed themselves into Jiang-Shi in order to obtain the power necessary to save their mother's soul. Mei-Ling now resides as a charm on Hsien-Ko's forehead, helping her sister maintain control of her powers.
- Crouching M start-up and active frames decreased
- Jump attacks float decreased
- Command-normals can be jump-canceled
- Edoga hit-stun increased
- Rantetsu can be canceled into Edoga
- Anki-Hou special has more varieties of projectiles (including oil drum, hunk of meat, felyne doll, Chris Redfield's stun rod, snowman)
- Tenrai Ha can be mashed for additional damage
Background - After her apparent death at the hands of Albert Wesker, Jill later resurfaced as one of Wesker's puppet soldiers in Africa. Her old partner Chris managed to free her from the control device embedded in her chest, and she has resumed her duties as a member of the B.S.A.A.
- All attacks float increased
- Crouching M forward momentum decreased
- Jumping attacks hit-box decreased
Background - Although she is head of the Aensland house in the demon world, the succubus Morrigan's action-seeking tendencies cause her to ignore her duties more often than not. Rather than prey on men and absorb their sexual energy, she is able to sustain herself through the thrill of combat.
- New Soul Drain special
- Throw hit-stun increased
- Flight total frames decreased
- Soul Fist damage increased
- Soul Fist hit-stun increased but now is subject to hit-stun scaling
- Finishing Shower can be mashed for additional damage
- Finishing Shower missiles trajectory can be altered to a greater degree*
Background - A warrior in the truest sense, Ryu's entire existence is devoted to testing his mettle against the strongest fighters in the world. Though he once was at a risk of being consumed by a murderous intent, Ryu has since mastered his inner demons.
- Dash can be canceled immediately
- Normal attack minimum damage scaling increased
- Collarbone Breaker can be special canceled
- New Baku Hadoken special
- New Hado Shoryuken special
- New Ren Hadoken special
- New Hado Kakusei hyper combo
- New Shin Hadoken
- New Shin Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
- Shinku and Shin Hadoken can be mashed for additional damage
- Shinku and Shin Tatsumaki Senpukyaku can be mashed for additional damage
Background - Despite his heroic efforts defending his country from the Empire, Nathan "Rad" Spencer's bionic arm caused him to be branded as a traitor and imprisoned following the Bionic Purge. Now that the United States are under attack once again, the Bionic Commando has been released to do his patriotic duty.
- New Bionic Bomber special
- Armor Piercer start-up frames decreased
- Zip Kick float height increased
- Zip Line speed increased
Background - The demon Mundus created Trish in the image of Dante's mother in order to trap the devil hunter. What he did not anticipate was how their shared humanity would lead to his eventual betrayal. Now Trish and Dante work together out of their demon hunting storefront, Devil May Cry.
- Standing M can be canceled into crouching M
- Air Raid total frames decreased
- Trip "Hopscotch," Trick "Peekaboo," or Round Harvest can only be performed one in a jump
- Maximum Voltage hits OTG when performed in the air
- Maximum Voltage can be mashed for additional damage
Background - A prideful air-pirate with a secret crush on Mega Man, Tron Bonne's thirst for booty often leads her on misadventures that leave her poorer than when she started.
- Jumping H knock-back increased
- Throw hit-stun increased
- Command-normals can be special-canceled
- Bandit Boulder first two hits are now subject to hit-stun scaling
- Gustaff Fire assist invincibility removed
- Special attacks minimum damage scaling increased
- Bonne Strike float decreased when performed on the ground
- Bonne Strike now subject to hit-stun scaling when performed in the air
- Servbot Launcher special can fire three Servbots in a row
- Attacks can be canceled into Bonne Mixer and Shakedown Mixer when whiffed
- Servbot Surprise can be mashed for additional damage
- Shakedown Mixer can have the joystick rotated for additional damage
Background - After being sucked into Movieland when his girlfriend Silvia was kidnapped, Joe was transformed into a superhero and has since been tasked with defending the world beyond the silver screen from all manner of threats.
- New V-Dodge special
- Jumping S hurt-box decreased
- Ground throws range increased
- Shocking Pink total frames decreased
- Shocking Pink will not explode when sliding in between buttons and cannot be juggled
- Desperado hits OTG when performed in the air
- Mach Speed can be mashed for additional damage
Background - An Umbrella bioterrorist whose abilities were greatly enhanced by an unknown virus, Albert Wesker's most recent plan involved an attempt to infect the world with his newly developed Uroboros virus. While he was apparently killed by Chris Redfield and Sheva Alomar, he may yet return in order to achieve complete global saturation.
- Health decreased to 1,000,000
- New sunglasses mechanic (As Wesker takes damage his sunglasses become cracked, granting him 110% damage and 105% speed, and eventually broken, granting him 115% damage and 110% speed. Tagging, Taunting, and performing Hyper Combos resets this effect)
- Jumping M start-up increased
- Samurai Edge (Horizontal) float decreased
- Samurai Edge hit-stun decreased
- Cobra Strike can be canceled into Phantom Move
- Jaguar Dash start-up reduced and active frames increased
- Jaguar Kick damage increased
- Tiger Uppercut L and M hit-box increased
- Tiger Uppercut M and H hard-knockdown attribute added
- Rhino Charge start-up invincibility frames increased
- Rhino Charge damage-scaling increased
- Lost in Nightmares can be mashed for additional damage
Background - Despite being the last creation of the maniacal Dr. Wily, Zero's intense hatred of evil has led to him becoming one of the most fearsome hunters of Mavericks, robots who have become a threat to humanity.
- Health increased to 830,000
- Normal attacks hit-stun decreased
- Shippuuga knock-back increased against airborne opponents
- Hyper Zero Blaster can be charged before the round begins
- Hyper Zero Blaster can only be performed a limited number of times in the air
- Special moves can now be canceled into Max Hyper Zero Blaster
- Max Hyper Zero Blaster hard knockdown attribute replaced by soft knockdown attribute
- Sentsuizan recovery frames increased
- Sentsuizan H trajectory adjusted
- Raikousen will travel behind the opponent in the corner
Returning Marvel Characters
Background - Born with a frail frame but the heart of a lion, Steve Rogers was granted peak physical perfection by the experimental Super Soldier Serum at the onset of World War 2. Now thrust into the modern age, Cap has risen to the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. as Top Cop and is acting leader of both the Avengers and Secret Avengers.
- Double-jump ability added
- Invincibility frames added to Cartwheel
- Charging Star hard knock-down attribute added
- Charging Star M and H damage reduced
- Charging Star knock-back increased
- Charging Star and Stars & Stripes assist damage increased
- Shield Slash L hits OTG
- Shield Slash hit-stun decreased
- Hyper Charging Star knockdown duration decreased
- Hyper Charging Star can be mashed for additional damage
Background - A mercenary with extensive military training, the Weapon-X program imbued Wade Wilson with a healing factor similar to Wolverine's, fracturing his mind in the process. He is currently employed by Archangel on the covert mutant team X-Force.
- Normals can be canceled into Taunt
- Mad Wheel can no longer be canceled
- Throw knockdown duration increased
- Specials can be canceled into TELEPORT!
- Quick Work can be canceled into Chimichangas!!
- Ninja Gift H float height decreased
- Ninja Gift H incapacitation duration increased
- Ninja Gift H incapacitation duration is now subject to hit-stun scaling
- Happy-Happy Trigger can be mashed for additional damage
Background - A powerful sorcerer and genius scientist, the dictator of Latveria has proven to be more than a match for his foes the Fantastic Four on more than one occasion. In order to have his recent brain damage cured, he has agreed to work alongside his nemesis Reed Richards as a member of the newly formed Future Foundation.
- Jumping H start-up frames reduced and hit-box size increased
- Jumping S hard knockdown attribute added
- Jumping S downward momentum increased
- Photon Shot animation frames reduced when performed in the air
- Photon Array and Doom Time can be mashed for additional damage
- Forward throw and forward air-throw soft knockdown attribute replaced by hard knockdown*
- Hidden Missiles stacking glitch removed*
Background - Once a human sorcerer, Dormammu is now the lord of the Dark Dimension and has gained immortality by trading his physical body for one made of mystic energy. His constant attempts to achieve domination of Earth have been thwarted time and again by Dr. Strange.
- Ground normal chain maximum increased to 3
- L normals knock-back increased
- Flame Carpet disappears if Dormammu is hit
- Throw soft knockdown attribute replaced by hard knockdown
- Dark Matter can be special canceled
- Dark Spell: Creation and Dark Spell: Destruction can be performed in the air
- Liberation can be performed in the air and teleports Dormammu to the ground
- Liberation (2 Destruction, 1 Creation) is active from 1st frame and causes hard knockdown
- Liberation (2 Destruction, 1 Creation) projectiles are delayed and cause increased damage
- Liberation (2 Creation, 1 Destruction) is active from 1st frame
- Chaotic Flame can be mashed for additional damage
- Dark Dimension OTG no longer whiffs on bouncing opponents*
- Color #1: Defenders (2005)
- Color #2: Original blue & green
- Color #3: Classic green & orange***
- Color #4: Red uniform (unknown origin)
- Color #5: New Exiles Annual***
- Color #6: Rorkannu***
Background - Once a mild-mannered scientist, an accidental exposure to gamma radiation transformed Bruce Banner into the rampaging giant known as the Hulk. The return of his inner monster, thanks to the influence of the Serpent's divine hammer, has battered his psyche and left him unsure of his future as a hero.
- New Incredible Punch command-normal
- L and M normals can be canceled into Incredible Punch
- Gamma Charge hurt-box decreased
- Gamma Charge now has super armor
- Gamma Charge Second pop-up increased
- Gamma Charge Second M (Anti-Air) wall-bounce attribute added
- Gamma Tornado damage increased
- Gamma Wave charge time decreased
Background - When an errant piece of shrapnel became lodged in his chest, Tony Stark was forced to create a suit of magnetic iron armor in order to save his life. Despite the collapse of Stark Industries, he is determined to rebuild and has founded new company, Stark Resilient.
- Double-jump ability removed
- Jumping normals can now be air-dash canceled
- Normal attacks minimum damage scaling decreased
- Crouching H can be special canceled
- Crouching H hit-stun increased
- Jumping H and S hit-boxes increased
- Initial air-dash speed decreased
- Special attacks minimum damage scaling increased
- Flight start-up frames decreased
- During Repulsor Blast, further inputs are based on Iron Man's original facing
- Repulsor Spread can now be performed by pressing H
- Repulsor Spread hard knockdown attribute added
- Smart Bomb damage increased
- Smart Bomb hit-stun decreased
- Smart Bomb animation frames reduced
- Iron Avenger and Proton Cannon can be mashed for additional damage
Background - Born Max Eisenhardt, a lifetime of tragedy and betrayal twisted the master of magnetism into one of Earth's most reviled mutant villains, Magneto. Experiencing a recent change of heart, he is working to atone for his past sins by serving as a member of Cyclops's council on Utopia Island.
- New Fatal Attraction special
- New Repulsion special
- New Reverse Polarity special
- Standing H hard knockdown attribute removed
- Diagonal air-dash speed reduced
- Electromagnetic Disruptor L and M animation frames increased
- Electromagnetic Disruptor block-stun decreased
- Magnetic Tempest invincibility frames removed
- Gravity Squeeze and Magnetic Tempest can be mashed for additional damage
- Jumping H knock-back increased*
Background - Whether he volunteered or was forced, the experiments performed on George Tarleton to unlock his mental potential transformed him into M.O.D.O.C. (Mental Organism Designed Only for Computing). With his new found abilities he quickly took control of A.I.M., the organization responsible for his change, and placed himself in command, renaming himself M.O.D.O.K. (Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing) in the process.
- Jumping normals can now be air-dash canceled
- Killer Illumination can be mashed for additional damage
Background - The weakest of the original five X-Men, Jean Grey was granted immeasurable reality-altering power when she agreed to become host to the Phoenix Force in order to survive a lethal dose of radiation poisoning. Recently sacrificing herself to protect the universe from the potential return of the destructive Dark Phoenix persona, it is likely only a matter of time before she rises from the ashes once more.
- Health reduced to 375,000
- Crouching M distance reduced
- Flight cancels after teleporting to the ground
- Unable to act after TK Shot when performed in the air
- TK Shot projectiles disappear if Phoenix is hit
- TK Traps disappear if Phoenix is hit
Background - Created by Bolivar Trask, the Sentinels were giant humanoid robots armed with the latest in weaponry and detention technology. Although they have gone through many iterations their mission has always remained the same, total eradication of the mutant race.
- Health reduced to 900,000
- Standing S Hyper Armor attribute replaced with 1-hit Super Armor
- Rocket Punch hit-stun decreased
- Sentinel Force assist now pushes the opponent away from the projectiles when hitting from behind
- Plasma Storm can be mashed for additional damage
- Rocket Punch assist soft knockdown attribute removed*
Background - After receiving a life-saving blood transfusion from her cousin Bruce Banner, AKA the Hulk, Jennifer Walters found herself transformed into the savage She-Hulk. Having gained full control over her powers, she now spends more of her time green than lean, galavanting about with numerous heroes and super-teams.
- New Savage Swing command-normal
- Weight classification increased
- Crouching L chain cancel attribute removed
- Crouching H distance reduced
- Chariot gains Super Armor when its activation is delayed after Runner's Start
- Clothesline wall-bounce attribute added against airborne opponents
- Runner's Start can be canceled into Clothesline and Torpedo earlier
- Emerald Canon horizontal range increased
- Taking out the Trash can have the joystick spun for additional damage
Background - A Chthonic elder god as old as the universe itself, Shuma-Gorath ruled over Earth during its primordial days before entering a self-imposed hibernation. Since his recent awakening his numerous attempts to reconquer the Earth have failed, thanks in large part to the efforts of Dr. Strange.
- Jumping S OTG attribute removed and hard knockdown attribute added
- Throws can now absorb a portion of the opponent's Health Meter and Hyper Combo Gauge
- Devitalization start-up frames reduced
- Chaos Dimension and Hyper Mystic Smash can be mashed for additional damage
Background - A fateful bite from a radioactive spider during a science exhibition transformed puny Peter Parker into the amazing Spider-Man. One of Earth's busiest heroes, he currently is an active member of the Future Foundation and multiple Avengers teams and is working to guide the next generation of heroes by lending a hand at the Avengers Academy.
- Web Glide now travels faster
- Web Glide hits OTG when performed in the air
- Spider Sting, Web Ball and Web Swing specials can be canceled into Web Glide
- Web Swing can be performed in the air after a Web Swing on the ground
- Web Throw is now subject to hit-stun deterioration
- Crawler Assault animation frames reduced
- Crawler Assault hard knockdown attribute added
- Ultimate Web Throw vertical hit-box reduced and horizontal hit-box increased
- Maximum Spider can be mashed for additional damage
- Ultimate Web Throw can have the joystick spun for additional damage
Background - Before she became an X-Man, Ororo Iqadi T'Challa led a wildly varied youth, beginning as an orphan pickpocket in Egypt and ending as a revered goddess in Kenya. Although she spends a majority of her time with her husband, the Black Panther, ruling their kingdom of Wakanda, she is always ready to return to action when her friends are in danger.
- New Fair Wind special
- New Foul Wind special
- Elemental Rage, Hail Storm, and Lightning Storm can be mashed for additional damage
- Hail Storm area of effect increased*
Background - The Skrull empire granted Kl'rt augmented versions of the powers of the Fantastic Four so that he could serve as the vanguard for their invasion of Earth. Dismissed by his people as an obsolete relic decades later, he found himself in the unlikely role of hero when he destroyed a ship full of Skrulls in order to protect his one-time ally Nova from assassination.
- Stone Smite hit-box enlarged
- Meteor Smash can now be performed in the air
- Orbital Grudge super armor activates earlier
- Orbital Grudge pop-up increased
- Orbital Grudge soft knockdown attribute removed
- Death Penalty tracks opponent
- Inferno can be mashed for additional damage
Background - When a young Anthony Masters discovered that he had photographic reflexes he quickly focused his new-found talents on financial gain, training henchmen for his numerous super-villain clients. Since he ended his long teaching carreer, he has found himself the target of assassination by a far-reaching criminal agency known as "The Org."
- New Sting Master special
- Normal attack minimum damage-scaling decreased
- Jumping H pop-up increased
- Charging Star knock-back increased against airborne opponents
- Charging Star pop-up increased
- Web Master can be special canceled
- Aim Master damage decreased
- Aim Master H pop-up decreased
- Hyper Combo minimum damage-scaling decreased
- Legion Arrow can be mashed for additional damage
Background - Banished to Earth in order to learn humility, the thunder god has become one of humanity's most stalwart allies. Now that Galactus has come to consume the Worldseed from the fallen Yggdrasil, Thor has engaged the Silver Surfer in combat allowing the gods of Asgard to focus their assault on the world eater.
- Normal and special attack minimum damage-scaling increased
- Standing M knock-back reduced
- Standing and jumping L hit-boxes increased
- Mighty Hurricane active frames increased
- Mighty Hurricane range increased
- Mighty Smash H requires fewer frames to reach maximum charge
- Mighty Spark initial hit-box increased
- Mighty Spark hit-stun increased
- Mighty Strike requires fewer frames to reach maximum charge
- Mighty Strike animation frames reduced
- Mighty Punish start-up invincibility frames added and active frames increased
- Mighty Punish knockdown duration increased
- Mighty Tornado can be mashed for additional damage
Background - Alive for more than 100 years thanks to his powerful healing-factor, James "Logan" Howlett has one of the bloodiest histories of any of Earth's heroes. He is currently working under the command of Cyclops as a member of the newly reformed X-Force.
- New Berserker Rage special
- Jumping L and Dive Kick hit-boxes decreased
- Berserker Slash invincibility frames removed
- Berserker Charge input priority is now lowest among Hyper Combos
- Berserker Barrage X, Fatal Claw, and Weapon X can be mashed for additional damage
Background - Laura Kinney was the 23rd and only successful attempt to create a female clone of Wolverine, raised under torturous conditions to become a living weapon for assassination. She is currently traveling the world alongside Gambit seeking the answers to questions about her past, all the while dealing with her guilt over the past atrocities she has committed.
- Specials can be canceled into Talon Attack
- Crescent Scythe pop-up increased
- Crescent Scythe hit stun decreased
- Rage Trigger knock-back increased
- Rage Trigger can be mashed for additional damage
* unannounced changes based on player observation
** updated alternate color from Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
*** new alternate color
- The ability to block while air-dashing has been removed across the cast
- The speed of air-dashing down-back has been decreased for characters with an 8-way air-dash
- Hitting an assist with a snap-back will cause both assist characters to be unavailable for an extended duration
- Assists are now subject to hit-stun scaling
- Each character will be receiving two additional colors, bringing the grand total to six
- New colors for Marvel characters draw their inspiration from the Marvel universe
- Some old alternate Marvel colors have been updated to hew closer to their original inspiration
- New toggled option to automatically super-jump by holding the Special button when launching the opponent
- Hyper Combo Gauge generation rate decreased by 10%
- Certain Hyper Combos can be mashed for additional hits and damage
- Characters will no longer continue to take damage beyond the end of their visible life bar
Team Aerial Exchange (TAC)
- Side TAC now removes one Hyper Combo Gauge from the opponent
- TAC Whiff glitch has been removed
Team Hyper Combo (THC)
- THC Damage/Hitstun Scaling glitch has been removed
- X-Factor can now be activated in the air
- Speed and damage bonuses have been normalized across the cast
- The damage bonus has been reduced overall
- The minimum damage after scaling has been reduced from 50% to 35%
- Hyper Combos are now subject to damage scaling
* modified Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds stage
Player and Ranked Matches
Capcom has added a number of upgrades to Ranked and Player matching in order to provide an online experience more robust than what was offered in Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds. New features include the following:
- Spectator Mode
- The ability to view an opponent's stats before accepting a match
- New Gold, Silver, and Skull icons assigned based on network manners
- Easier matchmaking with a faster retry function
- Network failure while matching no longer boots players to the main menu
- More efficient leader-board viewing tools
During the 2011 New York Comic-Con, Galactus was announced as a playable character in his own mode.
Heroes and Heralds
Released on December 19, 2011, Heroes and Heralds mode was originally announced during the 2011 New York Comic-Con as free, post-release DLC. This new mode, available both offline and online, allows players to collect over one-hundred cards representing various characters from the Marvel and Capcom universes such as Howard the Duck and equip them in sets of three for various power-ups.
After choosing their faction for the campaign mode, players fight against increasingly difficult AI opponents as they attempt to take over territories represented by a hexagonal grid. Defeating specific opponents according to an in-game hit-list unlocks special area battles that give players one chance to win a rare card. Not only does this mode allow players to build up their collection for online play, it also serves as an area for experimentation by allowing players to freely change cards between matches.
At the beginning of every week, solitary players and clans can choose to ally themselves with either the Heroes or the Heralds. Victories will earn points for players that contribute to an overall faction ranking. At the end of the week, the winning faction will have an increased chance to unlock rare cards in addition to a Heralds alternate color for use in the regular game.
As they play through the offline and online Heroes & Heralds modes, players will earn cards of varying rarity. Classified as either C, B, A, or the rarest and most powerful S rank, cards will be used to create three-card decks in the deck builder mode. Each deck consists of one primary slot and two secondary slots. Depending on their assigned position, each card will offer a variety of different power-ups in battle.
During the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con it was revealed that while the previous Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds costume and character DLC would carry over to UMvC3, Shadow Mode and all previous Shadow Mode DLC would not be making a return. Additionally, new costume packs were announced for the remaining cast, with three initially made available as pre-order bonuses through major retailers.
Pre-Order Costume Packs
- Game Stop - Femme Fatale Pack
- Amazon - New Age of Heroes Pack
- Best Buy - Villains Pack
Marvel vs Capcom 3 Alternate Costume Pack (March 1, 2011; PSN - $4.99 / XBL - 400 Microsoft Points)
Jill Valentine (March 15, 2011; PSN - $4.99 / XBL - 400 Microsoft Points)
Shuma Gorath (March 15, 2011; PSN - $4.99 / XBL - 400 Microsoft Points)
Evil Twin Costume Pack (November 22, 2011; PSN - $3.99 / XBL - 320 Microsoft Points)
Rising Dead Costume Pack (November 22, 2011; PSN - $3.99 / XBL - 320 Microsoft Points)
Ancient Warrior Costume Pack (December 20, 2011; PSN - $3.99 / XBL - 320 Microsoft Points)
Brawler Costume Pack (January 10, 2012; PSN - $3.99 / XBL - 320 Microsoft Points)
Femme Fatale Costume Pack (January 17, 2012; PSN - $3.99 / XBL - 320 Microsoft Points)
New Age of Heroes Costume Pack (January 17, 2012; PSN - $3.99 / XBL - 320 Microsoft Points)
Villains Costume Pack (January 17, 2012; PSN - $3.99 / XBL - 320 Microsoft Points)
Animal Costume Pack (January 24, 2012; PSN - $3.99 / XBL - 320 Microsoft Points)
Weapon Expert Costume Pack (February 7, 2012; PSN - $3.99 / XBL - 320 Microsoft Points)
Viewtiful Strange Costume Pack(February 21, 2012; PSN - $3.99 / XBL - 320 Microsoft Points)
Value Costume Pack (March 6, 2012; PSN - $19.99 / XBL - 1600 Microsoft Points)