Dragon Ball FighterZ is a 2.5D sci-fi fantasy fighting game developed by Arc System Works and published by Bandai Namco for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC on January 26, 2018. It was later released for the Nintendo Switch on September 27, 2018.
Based on the Dragon Ball manga and anime series, FighterZ takes place during several parts of the Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super storylines. Similar to the Marvel vs. Capcom series, standard fights are played in a single-round 3-on-3 tag-team scenario (where players can switch between teammates mid-round and can perform "assist attacks" with teammates).
It utilizes various elements from the developer's Guilty Gear Xrd series of fighting games, including some gameplay systems (such as "Roman Cancels" and "Dust Attacks") and a technique of using specialized cel-shading and limited animation in Unreal Engine 4 to give the illusion of 2D hand-drawn character art. It is their fourth adaptation of the series after the handheld fighting games Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors, Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2, and Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden.
The game includes 24 playable characters and transformations in its roster (25 if counting Golden Frieza, who can only be transformed with a Super Ability), which spans throughout the Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super arcs of the Dragon Ball manga and television series. Only one character, Android 21, is an original character made solely for this game.
It received numerous post-release characters since its release, only playable after purchasing them either separately as paid DLC or with different season passes (known as the "FighterZ Pass").
- Bardock (released on March 28, 2018)
- Broly ("DBZ" version, Legendary Super Saiyan form, released on March 28, 2018)
- Vegito (Super Saiyan Blue form, released on May 31, 2018)
- Fused Zamasu (Super Saiyan Rosé form, released on May 31, 2018)
- Goku (released on August 7, 2018)
- Vegeta (released on August 7, 2018)
- Android 17 (released on September 27, 2018)
- Cooler (final form, released on September 27, 2018)
FighterZ Pass 2
- Videl (w/ "Great Saiyaman", released on January 31, 2019)
- Jiren (released on January 31, 2019)
- Goku (young "DBGT" version, released on May 9, 2019)
- Janemba (released on August 8, 2019)
- Gogeta (Super Saiyan Blue form, released on September 26, 2019)
- Broly ("DBS" version, released on December 5, 2019)
FighterZ Pass 3
- Kefla (released on February 27, 2020)
- Goku (Ultra Instinct form, released on May 21, 2020)
- Master Roshi (released on September 17, 2020)
- Baby ("Super Baby Vegeta 2" form, released on January 15, 2021)
- Gogeta (Super Saiyan 4 form, released on March 11, 2021)