Mortal Kombat 11 is a 2.5D fighting game developed by NetherRealm and published by WB for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC (digitally via Steam) on April 23, 2019.
The eleventh main entry in the Mortal Kombat series, Mortal Kombat 11 further revamps the gameplay of Mortal Kombat X while adding a storyline that combines warriors from both the original and alternate timelines.
Set in the series's alternate timeline shortly after the defeat of Shinnok, the story follows further time manipulation as the Keeper of Time Kronika, displeased with Raiden's actions, causes a temporal anomaly that brings warriors from the original timeline (during the events of Mortal Kombat II) to the new one in order to destroy the alternate Raiden and create a "New Era".
Along with adjustments to the game's super move system (replacing "X-Rays" with one-use "Fatal Blow" attacks), Mortal Kombat 11 builds on the "Variation" system of Mortal Kombat X by allowing players to customize the abilities of each fighter (augmenting or replacing special moves and combos). The game also introduces a new loot-dropping system based on the "Gear System" of Injustice 2, allowing players to earn new outfits, cosmetics, and bonus consumables (for use in single-player modes). Like Injustice 2, the loot system also features microtransactions.
As in previous games, players earn and spend meter for various moves and abilities. Unlike previous entries, MK11 has split its meters into offensive and defensive components. Super moves, called "X-Rays" in previous games, have been replaced with "Fatal Blow" attacks, which can be triggered when a player is at or below 30% health.
Characters can be customized cosmetically as well as from a gameplay perspective, with new moves that can be mapped onto a fighter, replacing or enhancing some of their base moves. Different versions of Sub-Zero, for example, may have his traditional slide or a standing shoulder charge.
The game also features consumable augments that can enhance a character's abilities and stats. Other consumables allow players to summon missiles, meteors, or even other characters for assist attacks. These summons appear to be missing from the multiplayer side of the game, but can be used in the Towers of Time, a rotating list of challenges that are pattern after MKX's Living Towers or Injustice 2's Multiverse. Summons are activated by flicking the right analog stick in a specific direction.
The base game includes 25 playable characters, one of which was a pre-order bonus (also made DLC) and one of which is unlockable (either by playing through Story Mode or through DLC).
Kombat Pack 1
- Shang Tsung (features the voice and likeness of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, who portrayed him in the 1995 Mortal Kombat film, added on June 25, 2019)
- Nightwolf (added on August 12, 2019)
- The Terminator (guest character from the 2019 film Terminator: Dark Fate, added on October 15, 2019)
- Sindel (added on November 26, 2019)
- Joker (guest character from the DC Universe franchise, added on January 28, 2020)
- Spawn (guest character from the Spawn franchise, added on March 17, 2020)
- Fujin (added on May 26, 2020)
- Sheeva (added on May 26, 2020)
- RoboCop (guest character from the RoboCop franchise, added on May 26, 2020)
Kombat Pack 2
- Rain (added November 17, 2020)
- Mileena (added November 17, 2020)
- Rambo (guest character from Rambo film franchise, added November 17, 2020)