Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

What Remains of Edith Finch

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Apr 25, 2017

Edith Finch returns to her old familial home to discover the stories that have been kept from her. The stories of how generations of her family have died early of unrelated, but often kooky, causes.

What did you think of the ending?

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

Poll What did you think of the ending? (49 votes)

Totes amaze 33%
    Tragically pointless 18%
    I'm here for the journey, man 49%

I've been attempting to burn through a number of games in time for tomorrow's (or 'later today's' depending on your time zone) GOTY podcasts and I figured what better way to spend my birthday [OH HEY IT'S ALSO MY BIRTHDAY] than playing What Remains of Edith Finch.

You know. Because I heard it was pretty short.

First up, short review: I really loved it and thought that it was a pretty brilliant blend of avant-garde storytelling and walking-sim mechanics.

But that story, though. I don't necessarily need every game to have a Capital-M 'Message' but I felt like WRoEF (Wureef?) was building itself up to have some sort of life-affirming message. Whether that was
    -"Yo, all my family members were hella unlucky and maybe we won't be!"
    or
    -"Yeah, this shit is real but it's the life you live that matters really!"
    I couldn't honestly say. But when the game ended and the takeaway seemed to be
    -"This family is hella cursed. I guess that sucks."
    I felt kinda ripped off.

So tell me, does the ending to this game kinda suck or have I just been spoiled by Gone Home? Because to this day I feel like that's the only 'Walking-Sim' that's managed to set up an intriguing plot and then actually managed to pay it off.

• 
    DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By DinosaurCanada

They leave it to interpretation, which is fine. The problem is I don't believe in the curse, but feel like they still fed more hints leaning that way. The ending was a tip too far in that direction, in my opinion. It removed a lot of the mystery to me. It feels like if they had to give a canonical answer they would lean into the supernatural angle, which I don't like as much as if it were just a series of unfortunate events.

But you play as an unborn fetus though thats fucking crazy

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I took it more as meaning we should all be grateful for the time we have and live it, no matter what it is we’re doing. It sort of felt strangely peaceful, in that the whole family knew they were eventually doomed, but we all are anyways.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I don't think the curse is real at all. The deaths all seemed fairly mundane without the obfuscating tall tale aspect of them. Many of them were children that died due to neglect(drowning in a bathtub, playing with a kite in a thunderstorm, playing on a swingset that launched him off the cliff, eating decorations), and the rest were accidents(during the deer hunting, building a dragon in the garden, getting run over by a train, dying in childbirth) plus one good old-fashioned murder, an illness(cancer, I think?) and a suicide. The only thing that seems remotely supernatural is Edith's brother that vanished into his painting, which seems like more of a The Unfinished Swan-reference than anything else. Like yeah, it's contrived. But that's because it's written, not because the curse is real in-universe.

The idea I've gotten of games like Gone Home or Firewatch through internet osmosis is that they set up this exciting horror/thriller movie thing, but then it turns out it was lesbians and guilt all along(or to put it another way: If In the valley of Gods is not about those two ladies being in love more than it is about Egypt, I'll be astounded). No matter how contrived it is, that's where the story goes because it's a)cheaper to make and b)more personal. And that's what Edith Finch does too. More than any actual curse, what does harm to the family is their(especially the old grandma's) celebration of death, and the effect that has on the other family members' mental state. That's why Edith's mother runs away from the house, she doesn't want to lose any more kids to that environment. It's the whole idea of why she interrupts the story the grandma tells about when she found the house on the bottom of the ocean floor somehow, because it's just bullshit that revels in death and tragedy. Same for the tabloid comic about the child actress, or the article about the moleman living underneath the house. They're just spinning a yarn of lies on top of sad coincidences, to make it more meaningful.

I was pretty disappointed by that ending, personally. After the early deaths, there was a strong throughline of a monster hunting the family that I thought was scary and paranoia-inducing. But once you walk on the frankly really implausible traintracks right underneath the house and reach the graveyard, I felt pretty comfortable that the moral was that it was all unhealthy lies to deal with tragic events. Which is a perfectly fine moral, I guess, but who's that supposed to be aimed at? Is it a normal problem that a family is exposed to terrible tragedy every step of the way and then build a wacky death house? I'd much rather there was an actual curse and monster involved, because I kinda stopped caring once I saw where it went, despite the later death scenes being good too. The tension was gone.

Still, it's all good, isn't it? Edith Finch gave me so many playable sections featuring stuff I'd never played before, like a baby drowning in his bathtub, or a man living his entire life in a bunker. That's worth a lot.

Happy birthday, by the way!

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By NeverGameOver

This game had some great heartfelt moments. The fish factory was the best part for me, personally, because it hit close to home as someone who has quite a bit of disatisfaction with his job. Those moments resulted in it making its way onto my GOTY list, but it didn't stick the landing. I didn't aggressively dislike the ending but it was sort of more -- "eh, ok, I guess that's a thing that could happen" for me. I chose the third option for this reason.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

I dunno, I'd say this seems pretty life-affirming:

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.