Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

White Knight Chronicles: International Edition

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

White Knight Chronicles is a mixture of traditional fantasy JRPG and good old fashioned mecha. The story features Leonard, a protagonist who can transform into the White Knight with the use of an ancient technology. The game also allows players to join forces over the internal multiplayer mode, Geonet.

The "Official" Reviewers are Wrong...

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MAST

... Mostly wrong anyway.

I have to admit, I haven't even gotten halfway through the game yet. I've only downed about 6-7 hours into it, but most of the negatives that game reviewers are leveling at this game are just flat out wrong. Almost to the point where I wonder if we were even playing the same game. For example, one of the things they complain about is how melee monsters are able to hit you from an extreme range, whereas you must actually get within melee range for your attacks to hit. I've never found that to be the case for me. I've have noticed that a lot of monsters have an alternate ranged attack that sometimes look like a melee attack (IE. There are these little gremlin guys that carry a giant leg bone, and they hit rocks at you like their playing baseball). There are also instances where you will run away from a monster right as they are gearing up to attack you, and when they actually swing you might be several strides away, but it's not at all how they make it sound. As if monsters just stand miles away, do a melee attack, and it magically hits you. 

The voice acting isn't the greatest in the world, but it's tolerable. Although, in my opinion, the voice acting in most Final Fantasy games have been pretty bad (especially FF10). This game is on par with those. Sometimes it's really, really bad, but most of the time it's ok enough that you don't really think about it.

The story has been pretty much on par with most JRPGS. This one feels a lot like FF12 so far. A lot of political intrigue and such. Not bad, but not great. I can't speak to the ending, as I haven't gotten there yet. Apparently it's a huge cliffhanger which pisses some people off. I guess you just have to decide if cliffhanger endings are something that anger you or not. If not, then you should be fine.

The combat is where this game really shines. It has a very tactical, somewhat MMO quality. I feel like I'm playing a mix of FF11-12. So if you liked the combat system in those games, then you'll love this game. Sometimes I get lost in just roaming around, fighting mobs, and seeing what loot I get. That type of "loot-lust" is amplified tenfold once you take this game online. It has a Phantasy Star Online feel to it. Where you can embark from your hub town, and take on a variety of quests. It's very addicting, especially if you have a reliable group of people to play with regularly.

But yeah, I've gotten to the point where I rarely listen to reviews anymore. I've came to the understanding that I have to just figure out for myself if I'm going to like the game or not. Especially with these lesser known titles. Sometimes JRPS, imports, and the like aren't peoples thing from the get go, and they are inevitably going to give the game a bad review just because, and then that spreads, and becomes the prevailing opinion. Which isn't fair to the game.

Do yourself a favor, and just try the game for a few hours. Don't listen to the reviewers in this instance. Maybe you will agree with them, but there is also a good chance that you won't.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MAST

Oops, wrong forum. I coulda swore I was in the right one. Meant to post it in the White Knight Chronicles forum... Won't let me delete it either. Sorry guys!

=/

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TimeWaffle

Your talking about white knight chronicles right

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ApertureSilence

Since you're posting in General Discussion, would it have killed you to at least mention the name of the game you're talking about?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @MAST said:
    " Err, woops. Wrong forum... That was wierd. Coulda swore I posted in the right spot... Won't let me delete it for some reason.  =/ "
    It isn't your fault. It has been happening since the site update.
    Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Chyro
    @MAST: 

It's a bug right now.  Everything gets put into General. 

BTW, what game are you talking about?
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rayfield

WHAT GODDAMN GAME ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT GODDAMMIT
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MAST
    @Rayfield said:

" WHAT GODDAMN GAME ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT GODDAMMIT "

Chill, read the first reply in this thread... Damn.

@Chyro said:

" @MAST:   It's a bug right now.  Everything gets put into General."

Well, that explains it. I thought I was going crazy.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rayfield

Oh I see White Knight Chronicles.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ch13696

Lol Its a little difficult to post in the right forum. You mean to post in Whit Knight Chronicles forum but when you add a topic it automatically puts you in General Discussion. Next time you go to add topic where it asks you which topic you want to post in just type the name and it'll fill in the rest. 

Anyways, I understand what you mean. But everyone has their preferred site. My friend has X-play because Adam and Morgan have been around for awhile. I trust this site more because I know Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, and Brad know games. They know whats fun and they know what consoles to get it on. For example they said that both Dragon Age and Borderlands are PC games. I respect that.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I have turned this bug into a game. I always try to guess what forum someone meant to post in just from reading the thread title. 

I was wrong this time.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " I have turned this bug into a game. I always try to guess what forum someone meant to post in just from reading the thread title.   I was wrong this time. "
    Maybe I should start doing that as well.    :P
    Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chyro

I dunno.  I saw the quick look for it and wasn't too impressed.  Though I am tired of the slow combat that JRPGs(usually)  have.  The story looks to be standard fare as well.  Save the princess and all that.   

Does it deviate from this at all?  Is it the "here is your overarching quest but please do this menial side quest even though it has no bearing on the main quest at all?"

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By jeff

moved this to the White Knight board for ya.

Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII

No, they are not "wrong", whether partially or fully.  They just have a different opinion than you do.  Reviews are for people who have yet to make up their mind about a game, but are curious.  You obviously made up your mind to buy it well before reviews came in, so the reviews are not meant for you.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Matfei90
    @Chyro said:
    " I dunno.  I saw the quick look for it and wasn't too impressed.  Though I am tired of the slow combat that JRPGs(usually)  have.  The story looks to be standard fare as well.  Save the princess and all that. "
    Pretty much this. Zero interest in the game at all (especially the combat system).
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

So only one complaint you lodged is really something where you can go "no that's not correct" and the rest are you having different tastes. Game looks slow and boring to me. Rat mazes and 'real time' combat that's actually slower than turn based would be. I get sleepy just talking about it. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By xyzygy

The online looks really awesome about this game. When I was watching the quicklook and it got to that part, where the party members started running towards that big enemy, I thought it looked really neat.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HaniBall

I am also about 7 nor 8h in. Just returned to the desert town from the ruins.
    The combat system is incredibly deep and quickly growing on me, although I am only very slowly finding out all the subtleties.
    The online is pretty cool and I have coop'ed w/ folks that so sick damage on their combos, so I really look forward to dabbling a bit more.  
    And they hinted at the next area having lots of ores so I will be able to bind better weapons.

What is so bad about this story and so good about Uncharted's will forever remain a mystery to me.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MAST
    @Jeff: Thanks Jeff!

@PopeAnonymousVII said:
    " No, they are not "wrong", whether partially or fully.  They just have a different opinion than you do."
    Well, their negative opinion of the game seems to stem from these "game breaking" bugs that they appear to be imagining on their own. Which it is possible they can be wrong about that type of thing. I gave an example, they complained about monsters being able to hit them with melee attacks from a range, and after 7 hours of play I've yet to see that happen. They cite that as a huge game imbalance, and a major fault of the game, which obviously effected their scoring. Yet it's never happened to me... Maybe they were playing the review copy, and this problem got patched out in the store copy. I don't know, but you'd think they'd take that into account and figure out if it made it into the game proper.

I'm fine with reviewers not liking a game. Or saying it's "just not their thing." I'm not going to say they are "wrong" for that. I also don't dismiss reviewers entirely, I'm not suggesting that all reviewers are bad, or wrong. Or that anyone should treat them that way. There is a reason I come to Giantbomb all the time. I think the staff here has a better handle on reviewing games then anyone else in the business. Still, there are times when even they will complain about a bug in the game, or an issue, and I can't seem to duplicate that issue for myself at all. So that's why I don't use reviewers as my decision makers like most people do. Some of my favorite games growing up were games that got bad reviews, or heavily criticized in some way. I think some have a bad habit of taking reviews as gospel. It's proven in the fact that bad reviews greatly effect the sale of a game. Which is unfortunate, because some games don't deserve half the gripes that they get. 

@Chyro said:
    "Is it the "here is your overarching quest but please do this menial side quest even though it has no bearing on the main quest at all?" "
    Umm. From what I've been able to tell, most of those side-quest type things that other game have incorporated into their main story have been taken out of WKC, and put into the online coop part of the game. So far, it feels like everything I've done in single-player has contributed to my story progress. Which, as I said in my original post, probably isn't going to be a shocker of a story for anyone. But that doesn't mean it'll automatically be bad. Uncharted 2 didn't have the most original story, and people loved it, so...  I haven't played a ton of single-player yet though. I've mostly been doing online stuff. The online part of this game feels like the RPG equivalent of the horde mode, survival mode, and coop modes of some FPS games out there. Combined with a bit of loot lust.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CptBedlam

The "unofficial" reviewers are wrong. The game is indeed only average or good.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22  Edited By the8bitNacho

Opinions aren't wrong.  

@MurderByDeath
    said:

" Since you're posting in General Discussion, would it have killed you to at least mention the name of the game you're talking about? "

Calm the fuck down.  There's a bug on the site causing threads posted in game-specific forums to get floated out to General Discussion.  It's been happening for quite a while now.  Like 3 days. Which is around 5 years in internet time. 

@CptBedlam said:
    " The "unofficial" reviewers are wrong. The game is indeed only average or good. "
    Again, opinions aren't wrong.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MAST
    @ryanwho said:
    " So only one complaint you lodged is really something where you can go "no that's not correct" and the rest are you having different tastes."
    Well, kinda. If you watch the reviews, a lot of the complaints are about these bugs, and other "game breaking" issues that I've yet to encounter. They don't talk much about the game itself. The IGN video review barely says anything at all about the online aspect of the game, for example. I added most of the stuff in the later part of my original post, because a lot of the reviewers didn't say much about those things. They instead went on this long diatribe on game issues that as far as I can tell, don't exist.

Yeah, it was probably a bit exaggerated for me to say they are "wrong." Some of the things they say is their opinion, and they are entitled to it. I was more focused on, and caught up in these imaginary issues they kept talking about. It boggled my mind, and I kept thinking "What game are they playing? Because none of that is in WKC."
    King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#24  Edited By King9999

That thing about monsters hitting you when you're not close to them is true.  IGN's video shows it clear as day.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MAST
    @King9999 said:
    " That thing about monsters hitting you when you're not close to them is true.  IGN's video shows it clear as day. "
    Have you played the game yourself? Because that footage might be from a buggy, early copy they received for review or something. Because I've never had it happen to me like they are saying it does, and I've done nothing but fight mobs for the past 6-7 hours of my gameplay. I'd really like to here from a person who actually bought the game, and encountered this bug themselves. I sure haven't.
    Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @Kombat said:
    @MurderByDeath said:

" Since you're posting in General Discussion, would it have killed you to at least mention the name of the game you're talking about? "

Calm the fuck down.  There's a bug on the site causing threads posted in game-specific forums to get floated out to General Discussion.  It's been happening for quite a while now.  Like 3 days. Which is around 5 years in internet time.   

Fair enough. I guess most of it stemmed from my frustration at not being able to tell what the OP was talking about.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shadows_kill

im about 3 hours in (just got the knights power) and i can already agree. i looked through the gamespot review and i got to ask just like one of my friends.. did he even PLAY the game?? he completly misses some key parts of battles (like AC) and the part on the characters. i like the characters and him (and ign) keep saying that they are laughable cause of voices but that isnt that bad really :S

i could go on but i would be here a while and you covored most of it..

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Turambar
    @King9999 said:
    " That thing about monsters hitting you when you're not close to them is true.  IGN's video shows it clear as day. "
    Having finished the entire game, I can confidently say it is not true.  Enemy attacks have limited range, and that range is quite logical.  However once they "lock" onto you and begin an attack, you can't move back to a distance and doge the hit.  You can call that poor design, but it is certainly not buggy.
    Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

@MAST said:
    " ... Mostly wrong anyway.  I have to admit, I haven't even gotten halfway through the game yet. I've only downed about 6-7 hours into it, but most of the negatives that game reviewers are leveling at this game are just flat out wrong. Almost to the point where I wonder if we were even playing the same game. For example, one of the things they complain about is how melee monsters are able to hit you from an extreme range, whereas you must actually get within melee range for your attacks to hit. I've never found that to be the case for me. I've have noticed that a lot of monsters have an alternate ranged attack that sometimes look like a melee attack (IE. There are these little gremlin guys that carry a giant leg bone, and they hit rocks at you like their playing baseball). There are also instances where you will run away from a monster right as they are gearing up to attack you, and when they actually swing you might be several strides away, but it's not at all how they make it sound. As if monsters just stand miles away, do a melee attack, and it magically hits you.  The voice acting isn't the greatest in the world, but it's tolerable. Although, in my opinion, the voice acting in most Final Fantasy games have been pretty bad (especially FF10). This game is on par with those. Sometimes it's really, really bad, but most of the time it's ok enough that you don't really think about it.  The story has been pretty much on par with most JRPGS. This one feels a lot like FF12 so far. A lot of political intrigue and such. Not bad, but not great. I can't speak to the ending, as I haven't gotten there yet. Apparently it's a huge cliffhanger which pisses some people off. I guess you just have to decide if cliffhanger endings are something that anger you or not. If not, then you should be fine.  The combat is where this game really shines. It has a very tactical, somewhat MMO quality. I feel like I'm playing a mix of FF11-12. So if you liked the combat system in those games, then you'll love this game. Sometimes I get lost in just roaming around, fighting mobs, and seeing what loot I get. That type of "loot-lust" is amplified tenfold once you take this game online. It has a Phantasy Star Online feel to it. Where you can embark from your hub town, and take on a variety of quests. It's very addicting, especially if you have a reliable group of people to play with regularly.  But yeah, I've gotten to the point where I rarely listen to reviews anymore. I've came to the understanding that I have to just figure out for myself if I'm going to like the game or not. Especially with these lesser known titles. Sometimes JRPS, imports, and the like aren't peoples thing from the get go, and they are inevitably going to give the game a bad review just because, and then that spreads, and becomes the prevailing opinion. Which isn't fair to the game. Do yourself a favor, and just try the game for a few hours. Don't listen to the reviewers in this instance. Maybe you will agree with them, but there is also a good chance that you won't. "
    i have to say that around the 10 hour mark, i would have mostly agreed with you. one of my big problems with the game, though, is that the game never evolves beyond that point. It's a 40-50 hour game, and at the 50 hour mark it basically felt and played the same as it did at the 10 hour mark. it never even got more challenging. in fact, it got less challenging as it went on. anyway, to see all of my issues with the game (having just finished it) you can check out the review i just posted. and like i said, i completely disagreed with the "official" reviewers as well at first...
    PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By PenguinNerd
    @Turambar said:
    " @King9999 said:
    Having finished the entire game, I can confidently say it is not true.  Enemy attacks have limited range, and that range is quite logical.  However once they "lock" onto you and begin an attack, you can't move back to a distance and doge the hit.  You can call that poor design, but it is certainly not buggy. "
    This.

After beating the game last night...yes the reviews are wrong and no it's not a matter of "well it's their opinion".  (Their cons are flat out wrong.)  As has been stated the enemies CAN NOT hit you from an unlimited  range.  You must be standing up close to the enemy to be able to attack them or for them to lock on to you.  The enemies with ranged attacks can attack from a little bit farther but it's not nearly to the extent of what the reviews said.  It feels fair.  

The complaint about bad voice acting is almost hilarious.  Lets be honest the voice acting for JRPG's this gen has been horrid and even in the past it has.  Voice acting for WKC isn't the greatest but it gets the job done and really isn't that bad.  There are a few characters that aren't great but for the most part the main cast which is really the only characters you hear talk consistently throughout the game are all done well.  

Then there's this whole thing with the combat being shallow which I really really don't understand...and this is where I honestly feel like they didn't play a whole lot of this game or didn't even try looking into the combat mechanics.  The call the combat shallow is doing the game an extreme injustice.  Aside from the skill trees allowing you to assign different classes for each of your characters you'll learn dozens of abilities that you can use in combat.  It's making the combos that's so great about the combat though.  You can string together any skills or magic attacks that you want into 2 to sometimes 6 attack combos.  Your attacks are completely customizable as is your bar at the bottom.  Someone I know for example has light attacks on one bar, magic on the second and combos on the third.  Perhaps they just didn't even look at some of the things you can do but the combat in no way is shallow.  There's lots to do and customize with everyone of your party members and I found it to be more than enjoyable.

Though honestly my biggest complaint is something that goes oddly enough hand in hand with the early MAG reviews.  If the game has an online portion that's a pretty integral part of the game (the online in WKC some would argue is more important than the single player even) then you need to play it more than just a few quests or even more than an hour or two.  The reviews either went up on Feb. 1st or early in the day on the 2nd.  The online servers DID NOT go up until the 2nd which means if the reviewers who posted the early reviews (and these seemed to be the most negative) did play the online then they could have only played maybe a quest or two at a press event or very early in the morning on the 2nd.  No matter what the case is this is just the same as the reviewers who reviewed MAG from just that one press event.  I'm sorry but I'm very picky about people playing enough of a game to be able to have a good opinion on it if they're going to write a review.  If you're going to review a game with a key portion of it being Online then I expect you to play the same amount online as you did playing in the single player.  I spent 27 hours beating the single player of WKC on my first playthrough.  I will write up a review for my website when I spend either 27 hours online or when I've completed all 50 online quests that we've started out with.

I understand that yes a review is someone's opinion...but in this case there are too many things that are flat out wrong to even be considered a good review.  I have issues with this game too and no it's not the greatest game ever, but I've seen way too many people who were on the fence decide to not get this game because of gamespots review.  I think if you like Level 5 games.  You'll love this.  The story starts out rather cliche but in the end really comes into it's own and has me really excited for the sequel to be honest.  But whatever, the fact that they couldn't have spent much time playing a key portion of the game ruins any chances of me believing most of those reviews.
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII
    @MAST said:
    " It's proven in the fact that bad reviews greatly effect the sale of a game. Which is unfortunate, because some games don't deserve half the gripes that they get."
    Yet games that get great reviews fail all the time.  I'd like you to link me to whatever study you seem to be referring to that found a direct correlation between bad reviews and bad sales, please.
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII
    @nerdboy said:
    "This.  After beating the game last night...yes the reviews are wrong and no it's not a matter of "well it's their opinion".  (Their cons are flat out wrong.)  As has been stated the enemies CAN NOT hit you from an unlimited  range.  "
    So you're accusing IGN of doctoring the footage they showed that proves that it does happen?
    PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By PenguinNerd
    @PopeAnonymousVII said:
    " @nerdboy said:
    "This.  After beating the game last night...yes the reviews are wrong and no it's not a matter of "well it's their opinion".  (Their cons are flat out wrong.)  As has been stated the enemies CAN NOT hit you from an unlimited  range.  "
    So you're accusing IGN of doctoring the footage they showed that proves that it does happen? "
    As has been stated before, you must be up close to an enemy (about the same range as you need to be to initiate an attack) to be targeted for attack.  From then you can try "running away" before you're attacked but having been locked on to already you do have a chance to still be hit.  However, I've found that if you do run away like they did in the video that you have a lesser chace to actually be harmed.  However they made it sound and made it appear that you could have never even approached the enemy in the first place and still be hit which IS false. 
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shadows_kill
    @PopeAnonymousVII said:

" @nerdboy said:

So you're accusing IGN of doctoring the footage they showed that proves that it does happen? "
    1.  in that entire post he made he did not mention IGN once and your saying hes accusing them.
    2. i just watched the video that ign made and after you know playing the game (something you should try to do cause its fantastic) there has not been 1 time that i decided "hey im going to run up to a enemy not attack and run away for no reason then complain that i got attacked". As said by about 4 people above me you must be up close to an enemy (about the same range as you need to be to initiate an attack) to be targeted for attack and once you are that close i have had 0 reason in this game to run away. if you decided 
     to get that close to a enemy like your going to attack why run away? Or if you are in a group attack the enemies still need to be within range to attack you. as in they cant hide behind something and attack they need to be up close.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Turambar
    @spilledmilkfactory said:
    i have to say that around the 10 hour mark, i would have mostly agreed with you. one of my big problems with the game, though, is that the game never evolves beyond that point. It's a 40-50 hour game, and at the 50 hour mark it basically felt and played the same as it did at the 10 hour mark. it never even got more challenging. in fact, it got less challenging as it went on. anyway, to see all of my issues with the game (having just finished it) you can check out the review i just posted. and like i said, i completely disagreed with the "official" reviewers as well at first... "
    Regarding the difficulty issue, it's pretty true that main story mode is quite easy.  It seems to rectify this, all multiplayer quests with a Guild Rank of 7 and above is far more difficult.  When the gnomes you find in Balandor Fields are hitting you for 40 damage a hit, you get a feeling of what you're in for.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Turambar
    @PopeAnonymousVII said:
    " @nerdboy said:
    No, we're accusing IGN of spinning what the footage actually shows in an inaccurate way, and thus completely misinforming the viewer about one basic aspect of the combat.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MAST
    @PopeAnonymousVII said:
    "So you're accusing IGN of doctoring the footage they showed that proves that it does happen? "
    No, we are accusing them of completely exaggerating the issue. If you get within melee range, and then run away right when an enemy is preparing to swing at you, then you can get several strides away, while they will stay standing where they were and finish their attack animation. So it gives the appearance that the enemy is able to attack you from a great distance with a melee swing.
    You can tell that what they are saying is BS if you watch that video closely. They run up to the creature, and as soon as it's getting ready to attack them, they turn and run away real fast. The creature stays where it is and continues with it's attack animation. It's not at all how they make it sound in the review. I think they just got really irritated by this minor thing, and decided to make it sound and look way worse then it actually is out of spite. So they engineered a situation where they could kinda make it happen, and recorded a 2 second clip just so that they can say "See! We told you!"

They couldn't be further from the truth. I've fought hundreds of melee creatures already, and when I get within a certain distance of them they always run up to me. Within normal melee range. They never stay 30 feet away, swing their sword, and magically hit me from extreme distance.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MAST
    @PopeAnonymousVII said:
    "Yet games that get great reviews fail all the time.  I'd like you to link me to whatever study you seem to be referring to that found a direct correlation between bad reviews and bad sales, please. "
    No, they don't fail all the time. You... Are... Wrong. Let that sink in for a bit. Games that get "great" reviews. Let's say 90+ on Metacritic almost always sell well. Maybe there are occasions when they don't, but the majority of the time they do. I can't link you to the article, as it was in a game magazine. If you want to read the article, get a job and purchase the back issue of GameInformer. Was the August or September issue, I think? They interview several game developers and company leads (one of which was the Dead Space guy) who say that they get really nervous if their Metacritic score drops below 90. The Dead Space guy said that he thinks that's why Dead Space didn't sell as well as expected, because it received a score below 90. While a score of 70-80 is still "good" it isn't "great." Thus, they don't sell as well.

The study can be found, in black and white print, in GameInformer. So there you go, prat. All of that is wildly off topic though, so to try and get back to the WKC related things that you've said in this thread... Almost everyone has disagreed with you, and told you that you are factually wrong. You've gained absolutely zero ground here. Maybe it's time for you to move on? Yes, yes it is. 
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Demyx

Like I said, I will definitely rent the game and play through it for a couple of hours before I really have anything to say.

PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII
    @MAST said:
    " No, they don't fail all the time. You... Are... Wrong. Let that sink in for a bit. Games that get "great" reviews. Let's say 90+ on Metacritic almost always sell well. Maybe there are occasions when they don't, but the majority of the time they do. "
    No, I'm not.  Zone of the Enders 2 got great reviews last gen, one of the most improved sequels of all time, and it failed at retail.  Okami got great reviews, and did not do nearly as well as it deserved to do.  Many other examples of well reviewed games that failed at retail are out there.  Good, or even great reviews cannot overcome lack of advertising, or being a niche genre, and simply not having broad appeal.  Even a 90+ metacritic score is no surefire way to get sales, because the majority of people actually buying games these days are, well, not people like you and me.  They don't care enough about games to check the internet and go to metacritic, they don't even know what metacritic is.

On the flip side last gen, terrible buggy games like Enter The Matrix did gang busters, and more recently in this generation, each edition of the Smackdown wrestling games continue to sell millions every year, despite declining quality and laughably bad design choices.  Just saying "Um some GI issue had a study, you go find it" is roughly translated into "Go google it yourself because I'm too lazy to actually back up my argument with anything of actual substance".  It's YOUR argument, you can either substantiate it in a meaningful way, or admit defeat and "move on" yourself.  Only those who have no argument resort to trying to make the opposition do their legwork for them.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MAST
    @PopeAnonymousVII

Lol, why would I do the legwork for you? Especially for someone like you. I know I'm right, I'm not going to be bothered digging up the proof. What good would that do? Even if I proved beyond a doubt that I was right, you'd probably still just reply with "Yeah, well I still say your wrong" and I'd gain nothing out of going through all that effort. Most everyone in this thread knows your wrong. Most everyone has agreed with me. If it were the opposite, maybe I would go through all the effort in order to prove my point to a significant number of people, but since it's just you, and I couldn't give a rat's ass about you. I'm not going to go through that work. I also can't produce a link to the article because it's in a magazine, and Game Informer usually doesn't reproduce their articles on the internet. It would make their magazine a bit redundant... I could retype the whole article, but then you would just say that I made it up. So again, that would be pretty pointless work on my part.

... And I love how you back up your whole argument by only listing two examples. You seem to really be of the belief that someone must back up what they are saying. So put your money where you mouth is. You say games that get great reviews fail "all the time." So show me. Listing two examples doesn't cut it. Bust out the proof. Do the "legwork" as you say. I think the 360 and PS3 have something like 400 multiplatform games. So produce a list, with evidence, that at least 75-80% of the ones that received good reviews failed to sell a decent number of copies.

Yeah, that's right, you can't. On the other hand, you can easily obtain that issue of Game Informer. There are also plenty of people on this website that could back me up on that article existing, and on what it's contents are. A bunch of industry veterans saying that bad scores/reviews = bad sales carries a lot more weight then some random internet kid like yourself saying the opposite.

Now, shouldn't you be off violating a tube sock instead of bothering me?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.