Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii Fit

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 19, 2008

Hop on the Balance Board for some low-impact physical exercises in this fitness-based collection of minigames for the Nintendo Wii.

I Played Wii Fit For The First Time Ever - Actually Very Good

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By get2sammyb

My sister got Wii Fit for Christmas. I actually called Wii Fit before it was shown off at 2007's E3, then expecting it to be called "Wii Health". I was really excited by the E3 presentation, being one of the few in the Internet forum backlash to proclaim everyone should just "stop, think and remember Nintendo make more than games now".

Years on of course everyone rats on about Nintendo and how much they hate them blah, blah, blah and I haven't been able to turn around and say "hey, Wii Fit is actually quite good" because the price and stock shortages kinda put me off.

After playing Wii Fit for the first time I can safely say it's brilliant. So much better than I ever expected it to be. If you haven't played it then, you really should before criticising. It's not a video game. Stop thinking about it like a video game. It's a lifestyle tool and it's actually very well thought out, detailed and polished. It's got all the Nintendo sheen of a Mario game (for example) it's just different.

It made me remember that Nintendo still make supremely polished and excellent products. It's just different. I was so impressed with Wii Fit, I couldn't imagine it would lose you MUCH weight (although I think it could have a huge difference on posture and certainly can't hurt your fitness levels) but for what it is I actually think it's a very, very good product.

It deserves the sales figures it's getting. If you haven't played it, you should. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

My sister got Wii Fit for Christmas. I actually called Wii Fit before it was shown off at 2007's E3, then expecting it to be called "Wii Health". I was really excited by the E3 presentation, being one of the few in the Internet forum backlash to proclaim everyone should just "stop, think and remember Nintendo make more than games now".

Years on of course everyone rats on about Nintendo and how much they hate them blah, blah, blah and I haven't been able to turn around and say "hey, Wii Fit is actually quite good" because the price and stock shortages kinda put me off.

After playing Wii Fit for the first time I can safely say it's brilliant. So much better than I ever expected it to be. If you haven't played it then, you really should before criticising. It's not a video game. Stop thinking about it like a video game. It's a lifestyle tool and it's actually very well thought out, detailed and polished. It's got all the Nintendo sheen of a Mario game (for example) it's just different.

It made me remember that Nintendo still make supremely polished and excellent products. It's just different. I was so impressed with Wii Fit, I couldn't imagine it would lose you MUCH weight (although I think it could have a huge difference on posture and certainly can't hurt your fitness levels) but for what it is I actually think it's a very, very good product.

It deserves the sales figures it's getting. If you haven't played it, you should. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xandurson

I'll take your word for it.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Endogene

If you own the balance board you should really try out shaun white snowboarding with it.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By get2sammyb
    Endogene said:
    "If you own the balance board you should really try out shaun white snowboarding with it."
    We actually ordered that off Amazon yesterday. I'm looking forward to giving that a go with the board. It looks really fun.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene

Just keep in mind that you don't need to lean back or forward a lot to turn, remembering this will prevent you from falling on a table like i almost did a couple of times.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's not a video game right? Well that's exactly the thing. I don't need an exercising tool out of my Wii, when I can just open my door and go for a jog outside...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By oldschool

Welcome to the strength.

I bought it on launch and it AIDED me in losing 10kg.  Its brilliance is that it forms the core of a program to get fit and lose weight.  Plus, the mini-games are fun in themselves.  I think similar comments said about the Wii Fit would also apply to Wii Music.  Either you enjoy or you don't, it is the elitist negativity that annoys me.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rowr

Ive been playing it extensively the last few days, as my sister also got it for christmas.

I am somewhat dissapointed, i think it could of been much, much better. Lets see if you are still playing it in another week.

Little things like not being able to switch between multiple players without going all the way back through the menus are really annoying. I think they could of made the effort to make the aerobic and balance games more fun, as well as added some depth it would be much better. The malicious seemingly uneeded criticism the game gives you even if you do ok, really disturbs me aswell.

"Do you find your self tripping over alot when you walk?"

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yeah, I heard it flat out insults you XD

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Stevokenevo

I agree with the haters unfortunately.  The game has very little polish to it.  

Fitness instructors have very few voice lines and have no lip sync with them. 
    Games look graphically terrible.
    and yes the game makes light of insulting the user.

But then, i also know im not the target audience, i 'played' the game for about a week and got bored.  I regularly exercise outdoors etc.  However my mum has recently been using it if she has the patience.  Also it was fun to get everyone over christmas on the board to find out who was a fatty!  (Ive actually put on half a stone since i bought it!)
    The board itself is good though and i think i could do with picking up some titles that use it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24

I want to play Wii Fit but I still can't find it, not to mention I don't want to pay $90 for it. That just shows how ignorant I am: I recently bought another Rock Band guitar for $70, as well as a shitload of games recently, but I won't buy one game that comes with a high-tec peripheral because of the sticker shock. I should really reevaluate this right?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12  Edited By Godwind

I agree.  Its fun, but as Jeff said, it probably isn't worth the full $90 as it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.