Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

An idea about Wii U & FPS

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mac_n_nina

I have an interesting idea about how Nintendo or anyone should do an FPS on the Wii U. Since there are no L3/R3 buttons wouldn't it be good if sprinting were assigned to the left trigger. I know, I know, many of you are wondering how you will put up your iron sights. Well, that's simple really. You just need to hold up the UPad straight up whenever you want to put up the sights and set it back down to put them down. I know that for many especially those who have an iPad this will be a pain because holding the iPad straight up is not ideal for more than 10 min. That doesn't matter though because in real life soldiers have to constantly raise and lower their weapons when they want to go aim through the sites. I'm sure that someone with more knowledge on game design can share his or her thoughts on this.

So what do you guys think about the controls, yay or nay?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Well I don't know what the situation is going to be with Wii remotes and nunchucks on the Wii U, but if they're going to be readily available to people, wouldn't it just make more sense to use that configuration? If they're not though, you do raise a good point about how it could be difficult to do controls for FPS titles. Raising and lowering the Wii U controller could be a cool way to do iron sights, but even if that thing doesn't have any particular weight behind it, holding it up for extended periods of time could get tiring, and I don't think the fact that real soldiers would have to do something similar excuses that problem. In game design realistic ideas don't default to good ideas and on the whole just using "making it realistic" as your design template would lead to making games that most would probably find very frustrating to play.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Gamer_152 said:

Well I don't know what the situation is going to be with Wii remotes and nunchucks on the Wii U, but if they're going to be readily available to people, wouldn't it just make more sense to use that configuration? If they're not though, you do raise a good point about how it could be difficult to do controls for FPS titles. Raising and lowering the Wii U controller could be a cool way to do iron sights, but even if that thing doesn't have any particular weight behind it, holding it up for extended periods of time could get tiring, and I don't think the fact that real soldiers would have to do something similar excuses that problem. In game design realistic ideas don't default to good ideas and on the whole just using "making it realistic" as your design template would lead to making games that most would probably find very frustrating to play.

At least at E3 last year, Nintendo said the Wiimotes and stuff will still work on the WiiU, so I'm sure there will at least be some games using that setup. I doubt Nintendo would have changed that, because they were also saying the WiiU was backwards compatible, and that's a good feature to have at the start of the console's life.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By ZenaxPure

I think the idea would be good to have as an option, since some people would find that a neat way to play but I believe the more realistic route though is if Nintendo chooses to stick with the sliders we'll see stick-clicking assigned to a button toggle on the touch screen. 

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

OK, as an option, maybe. But I almost always hate that sort of idea. The only time I've ever liked motion controls is in Medal of Honor Heroes 2, where you have to cock the shotgun by holding the nunchuk under the Wiimote and pulling it back. Even that got old after a few times. I don't think Nintendo needs to stop being Nintendo, but at this point not including something as cheap as clicky analog sticks is just stupid.

I would much rather just, I dunno, have a shooter that moves fast enough to not have sprint? Or maybe a shooter that doesn't need iron sights, I hear those used to exist.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mac_n_nina

Wow no one likes the controls that I proposed?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @mac_n_nina: It's not bad, exactly, and would be neat in a lot of single player situations but any sort of multi-player FPS would lose all sense of speed with that setup, it's far faster to snap a trigger down and shoot someone in a matter of seconds than it is to bring a controller up to the tv and then attempt to aim that way.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Gamer_152 said:

At least at E3 last year, Nintendo said the Wiimotes and stuff will still work on the WiiU, so I'm sure there will at least be some games using that setup. I doubt Nintendo would have changed that, because they were also saying the WiiU was backwards compatible, and that's a good feature to have at the start of the console's life.

Oh, I know the Wiimotes are compatible with the console, I just don't know if they'll be bundling them in with the machine, if they'll have to be bought separately/carried over from the Wii, or whether that's information we don't know yet. The answer to that could have a significant effect on the control schemes developers decide to use in their games.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mac_n_nina

@Zenaxzd: It's not actually my idea. It was posted on a different forum and I called the guy out and plead my case and one of the excuses to back up his control scheme was that soldier one. Just trying to prove he's a dumbass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.