Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Are these Wii U games still worth buying with the Switch right around the corner?

dumptruck05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm looking at buying Splatoon, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Wii U but would it still be worth it to do so if I plan on buying the Switch?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

We don't what the Switch versions of those games will be (remasters? ports? sequels?) or more critically when they will even be available on Switch. And won't until at least January,

So if you want to play them before then, or even in Q1 2017, I'd say yes gte the WiiU versions. If you want to play them in the latter half of 2017, I'd say wait.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Cameron

I'd look into whether Splatoon still has an active (and newcomer friendly) community before buying it now. I'm sure those other games still have loads of people playing them. Otherwise, if you already have a Wii U I don't see any reason to wait for Switch versions. All of those games run fine on the Wii U.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

They're all good games - if you own a Wii U and don't have them, they're worth picking up.

That said, I'm sure we'll see versions of all three on the Switch, so you could wait if you're not too desperate. But they're all good enough to justify the purchase IMO, even if you end up buying their sequels on the Switch at some point down the line.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.