Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Caved and bought a Wii U

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By C0V3RT

I'm a horrible person.

I'd been fighting with myself the last week about getting a Wii U. I feel like ever since the GameCube, every Nintendo product I've purchased with the exception of the DS has just been gut punch after gut punch. But, because I've apparently developed some kind of Stockholm Syndrome relationship with Nintendo, after talking myself out of getting once a dozen times, I pulled the trigger.

I've come to justify it by telling myself it'll be a hit with my family over Thanksgiving, so really it's an investment in my family. It's a pretty weak excuse but it'll help me sleep at night. Even if it's sleep on the couch after my wife gave me "the look" when I came in the house with it and she found out the price. I didn't get any games aside from Nintendo Land as I went for the deluxe. It's probably for best I didn't as that would have gone over horribly. I do intend on picking up ZombiU once the dust settles though.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have bought it. With the holiday season at work seems to come layoffs. I should also probably replace the cracked exhaust manifold on my car so it doesn't sound like a motorcycle anymore. My PC is long overdue for an upgrade too. Oh well... no regrets. It's the first time in a few years I've been able to buy myself something expensive and with us planning to have kids next year, realize my disposable income will be a thing of the past. Gaming has been a lifelong hobby so I might as well enjoy it while I can.

I also want to add, there's been some discussion I've seen floating around on twitter about if the abundance of Wii U stock is because of Nintendo being prepared, or if people are just not interested. I present another theory, and that's that no one knows what the shit a Wii U is. I've seen a total of one advertisement. My 12 year old sister and 11 year old brother also have no idea what the Wii U is (but they can sure tell you who Notch is). I called my mom to tell her I was bringing it tomorrow and she asked how we were all going to play a handheld gaming console. There are both demographics who helped the Wii become as "successful" as it was and they had no idea it's successor even existed. I give Nintendo marketing a solid F+ in terms of marketing this thing.

Anyway, fingers crossed for some kick ass first party titles and meaningful 3rd party titles this time around. Off to play The Walking Dead: Episode 5. Make me cry Telltale, I dare ya!

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By C0V3RT

I'm a horrible person.

I'd been fighting with myself the last week about getting a Wii U. I feel like ever since the GameCube, every Nintendo product I've purchased with the exception of the DS has just been gut punch after gut punch. But, because I've apparently developed some kind of Stockholm Syndrome relationship with Nintendo, after talking myself out of getting once a dozen times, I pulled the trigger.

I've come to justify it by telling myself it'll be a hit with my family over Thanksgiving, so really it's an investment in my family. It's a pretty weak excuse but it'll help me sleep at night. Even if it's sleep on the couch after my wife gave me "the look" when I came in the house with it and she found out the price. I didn't get any games aside from Nintendo Land as I went for the deluxe. It's probably for best I didn't as that would have gone over horribly. I do intend on picking up ZombiU once the dust settles though.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have bought it. With the holiday season at work seems to come layoffs. I should also probably replace the cracked exhaust manifold on my car so it doesn't sound like a motorcycle anymore. My PC is long overdue for an upgrade too. Oh well... no regrets. It's the first time in a few years I've been able to buy myself something expensive and with us planning to have kids next year, realize my disposable income will be a thing of the past. Gaming has been a lifelong hobby so I might as well enjoy it while I can.

I also want to add, there's been some discussion I've seen floating around on twitter about if the abundance of Wii U stock is because of Nintendo being prepared, or if people are just not interested. I present another theory, and that's that no one knows what the shit a Wii U is. I've seen a total of one advertisement. My 12 year old sister and 11 year old brother also have no idea what the Wii U is (but they can sure tell you who Notch is). I called my mom to tell her I was bringing it tomorrow and she asked how we were all going to play a handheld gaming console. There are both demographics who helped the Wii become as "successful" as it was and they had no idea it's successor even existed. I give Nintendo marketing a solid F+ in terms of marketing this thing.

Anyway, fingers crossed for some kick ass first party titles and meaningful 3rd party titles this time around. Off to play The Walking Dead: Episode 5. Make me cry Telltale, I dare ya!

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cannonballbam

Congrats, picked mine up day 1 with NSMBU along with the packed in Nintendo Land. Enjoy.

Wondeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Wondeboy

If nothing else can be learnt from this story guys, it is this:

It is easier to ask for you wives forgiveness than to get her permission

On the advertising issue, i saw a variety of interesting tv spots the other day which all followed the same structure with the tag line is "talk or fail".

As far as i can see the wii u is all about couch multiplayer, and gamepad pro vs everyone else!

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By C0V3RT

@Wondeboy said:

It is easier to ask for you wives forgiveness than to get her permission

You're not wrong.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By C0V3RT

Update on how the Wii U went over at Thanksgiving.

It was shockingly popular which is what I hoped for. Lots of arguing over who'd get to use the Wii U GamePad. We all started out with the Mario Chase game intentionally so I could introduce communicating as a team. The original course and the slides course were a blast.

Luigi's Mansion Ghost Hunt was also super popular. It took everyone a game or two to get in the swing of things when they were the Ghost. The hunters only victorious maybe 3 times total all evening. My favorite moment of the evening was when I handed my step-dad the GamePad and told him to play since he had been watching from the corner all evening claiming he was content watching. I went to the restroom and came back and let him get a few more rounds in and my little 11 year old brother asked him if it was his turn to be the ghost and he didn't want to give the GamePad up.

The Pikmin game surprisingly got a lot of play too. The versus mode isn't great but the co-op mode has it's moments.

We didn't get to play the Metroid game or the Zelda game since we only had 2 nunchucks and 1 Wii Motion plus. Oh well.

One family member left saying they were going to pick one up. Trying to explain what did/did not come with the console was like pulling teeth.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Levio

That's cool that it worked out. Nintendo Land seems like the absolute ideal video game for entertaining guests; quick games that need little explanation but are still fun. They will almost certainly make a 2nd one as well, like the sports resort game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.