Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

CNN Exclusive - Wii U GamePad: The New Wii controller

bonesquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By bonesquad
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

You mean Nintendo is lying to us.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Barrock

I wish they would've changed the name to prevent this.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By frankfartmouth

I don't think this will be a problem. There was some confusion in the mainstream media when the 360 came out, with a lot of people saying it was just a new version of the original Xbox. I remember a Blockbuster employee even telling me so when I rented a game.

The bigger problem isn't the name being similar and creating confusion, it's the game library being similar and creating no interest for me. I thought the conference was weak. Hope they can show me more by the fall

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By strainedeyes

@frankfartmouth said:

I don't think this will be a problem. There was some confusion in the mainstream media when the 360 came out, with a lot of people saying it was just a new version of the original Xbox. I remember a Blockbuster employee even telling me so when I rented a game.

The bigger problem isn't the name being similar and creating confusion, it's the game library being similar and creating no interest for me. I thought the conference was weak. Hope they can show me more by the fall

The 3DS created the exact same confusion and look what happened to it during the first 6 months. Remember the insane price drop?

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By frankfartmouth

@StrainedEyes said:

@frankfartmouth said:

The 3DS created the exact same confusion and look what happened to it during the first 6 months. Remember the insane price drop?

Yeah, but I'd say the same thing there. I think the bad sales out of the gate for the 3DS were also due primarily to the shitty game library, not the name. It didn't launch with anything. A sort of new version of Street Fighter 4, that was about it. People will get over the name confusion here real quick, but not a poor launch lineup.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

Haha, is Larry Frum intentionally trying to fuck Nintendo?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

Exclusive!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Dalai

This is what happens when you don't show the actual console.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MC_Hify

I'm listening to the latest bombcast right now and they just mentioned when Nintendo showed the WiiU off last year the mainstream press thought it was an addon for the Wii and Nintendo had to correct them. And then they do it again a year later.

freewilly5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By freewilly5

@frankfartmouth said:

@StrainedEyes said:

@frankfartmouth said:

Yeah, but I'd say the same thing there. I think the bad sales out of the gate for the 3DS were also due primarily to the shitty game library, not the name. It didn't launch with anything. A sort of new version of Street Fighter 4, that was about it. People will get over the name confusion here real quick, but not a poor launch lineup.

What's a smart person doing here?

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RockAction

i had the same thought, but I can't see it being a problem, if anything Nintendo are probably hoping that the confusion will engender at least some publicity if incorrect

Hopefully people who are buying a wii u gamepad will be asked if they have the system

slightly off topic, but i don't really care for the 'U' addition to titles such as Zombi U / New Super Mario Bros U etc if thats going to be the branding

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

That's really funny.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jack268

Did shit like this really happen with the Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance? It was always pretty effin clear to me.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By penguindust

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

No, I think he's just an idiot. In the CNN piece he wrote for the Sony press conference, he quotes Jessica Chobot as a review source for Assassin's Creed III.

'Jessica Chobot, correspondent for G4TV's "Attack of the Show" said she was really impressed with the new game play for "Assassin's Creed III.""

What the hell kind of journalism is that?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@PenguinDust said:

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

No, I think he's just an idiot. In the CNN piece he wrote for the Sony press conference, he quotes Jessica Chobot as a review source for Assassin's Creed III.

'Jessica Chobot, correspondent for G4TV's "Attack of the Show" said she was really impressed with the new game play for "Assassin's Creed III.""

The kind done by people that have no idea how to cover the topic at hand and just take all of their information from people that do, while pulling quotes and comments out of context because fuck, who'd know the difference?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By DarthOrange

Drop a bomb on it!

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ramone

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

This gave me the worst idea for a photoshop

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

@Hailinel said:

@PenguinDust said:

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

The kind done by people that have no idea how to cover the topic at hand and just take all of their information from people that do, while pulling quotes and comments out of context because fuck, who'd know the difference?

It doesn't take a lot of work to fact check this stuff. You would have thought he could Google Wii U or Jessica Chobot before publishing that bullshit.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

@Ramone said:

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

This gave me the worst idea for a photoshop

"This will please you with a depth that may surprise you..."

MrSensible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrSensible

Cable media outlet regurgitates E3 coverage poorly? Shocking!

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ramone

Too. Far.

Excuse the pun.

I hate myself now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.