Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Dat controller!

takahashi69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By takahashi69

Nintendo's new controller is awesome but also a bit worrying. I will have to be buying screen protectors & giant rubber condoms for it now. Also does this mean I will be paying $100+ for a 2nd player controller?

takahashi69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By takahashi69

Nintendo's new controller is awesome but also a bit worrying. I will have to be buying screen protectors & giant rubber condoms for it now. Also does this mean I will be paying $100+ for a 2nd player controller?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64
    @takahashi69:   From what I have been reading online, you can only use 1 WiiU controller with the system, not 2 or more at once.
    Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bribo

You will be relieved to learn that WiiU will not support a second controller.

If money is primary concern.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Seppli
    @Bribo said:
    You will be relieved to learn that WiiU will not support a second controller.  If money is primary concern.
    Didn't know that yet. Seems obvious now that you mention it. Still - somewhat irritating news.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

@Seppli said:

@Bribo said:
    You will be relieved to learn that WiiU will not support a second controller. If money is primary concern.
    Didn't know that yet. Seems obvious now that you mention it. Still - somewhat irritating news.

I haven't seen it verified. Mostly rumors and stuff. Jeff had hand-ons and really didn't know.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Seppli
    @Claude

It definitely makes perfect sense when thinking of its 'streaming full game experience onto the gamepad screen' capacity. Doing that to 2 controllers would double hardware requirements pretty much. Conceptually impossible.
    takahashi69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By takahashi69

I don't think its possible to only have 1 LCD controller per system. That would make kids fight again, like being the first player every time. This system must support at least 2 or more of these controllers. Besides, no specs have been posted yet for the system.

liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By liquidmatt

I feel it kind of defeats the point if you can only have one controller. Why carry on playing the game when you could play a 3DS game with someone else? 

Also, I feel like their main selling point is a bit strange, because surely with the PS3/PSV cloud saving abilities, you can do something similar, but its a dedicated handheld as well?

takahashi69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By takahashi69

Just read that Destructoid post & I must say, that we cannot account that only one system / 1 tablet can be true just because they reported it. Until we get official word from Nintendo, 3-6 months down the line into production, destructoids report may be just pure speculation. Or maybe they just derped on their sentence structure.

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By swfcfan

The Wii U tablet is kinda cool for young children to use for things like drawing and family use on games. But it has little appeal to myself, a 29 year old with a dedicated games room with an independent TV connected to both a Xbox 360 and a PS3. I have no desire to play with a 6-12 year's tablet!

I now think it's fair to class Nintendo as a manufacture of children's toys.

While I don't want a child's toy (Wii U) set up in my games room I saw enough from the 3DS at E3 to make me tempted to get one of those.

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Vamino

@takahashi69 said:

Just read that Destructoid post & I must say, that we cannot account that only one system / 1 tablet can be true just because they reported it. Until we get official word from Nintendo, 3-6 months down the line into production, destructoids report may be just pure speculation. Or maybe they just derped on their sentence structure.

Computer&Videogames asked Nintendo reps about price of the system and controllers, and were told that they will be sold together, that you will not be able to buy the new controllers separately. There have been similar reports from numerous other places. Just because you don't like Destructoid, doesn't mean they're wrong.

If anything, one new controller per system makes perfect sense. You couldn't legitimately ask your customers to spend hundreds of dollars on the system and then say "Oh, any extra controllers will be $150 too."

Edit: Link to C&VG article.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@swfcfan said:

The Wii U tablet is kinda cool for young children to use for things like drawing and family use on games. But it has little appeal to myself, a 29 year old with a dedicated games room with an independent TV connected to both a Xbox 360 and a PS3. I have no desire to play with a 6-12 year's tablet!

While I don't want a child's toy (Wii U) set up in my games room I saw enough from the 3DS at E3 to make me tempted to get one of those.

This.

If someone develops an actual cool use for it maybe I'll look into it. Nintendo doesn't have exclusives to draw me in like Sony or MS though, so a comparable console to the Xbox or PS3 needs something else. I'm never going to buy a Mario or Zelda game.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Kjellm87

@swfcfan said:

Can't say I follow your logic, sure it is fun for kids, but the tablet opens up possibilities for games. Like the Zelda demo, every item was just a touch away.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By Yanngc33

@JJOR64 said:

@takahashi69: From what I have been reading online, you can only use 1 WiiU controller with the system, not 2 or more at once.

well that sucks

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.