Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Deluxe Set sold out, Wii U the next big thing?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By DarthOrange

The Deluxe Wii U set is no longer available for pre-order in the U.S. For as jaded as the Giant Bomb community is, it seems like this thing is still going to have a fantastic launch. What I believe happens next is that the news reports that the Wii U pre-orders are selling out, and people are already putting them up on ebay for as much as $1,000 dollars. People go "Oh shit!" and pre-order what remains of the white Wii U's. The things become crazy hard to find because assholes are buying them in bulk to sell at ridiculous prices (like Skylanders) while kids are telling their parents that they want one. The question is, how long does this go on for? A few months? A few years? I personally did not pre-order the Wii U as I was still on the fence (and low on cash) but now it seems my decision was made for me. Is this going to be as big as the Wii? What do you jaded motherfuckers think?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

Nintendo limits their initial production run on every console launch for exactly the reasons you claimed, don't they?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

@DarthOrange: I'm pretty sure they limited the initial runs of the Wii, as well, for exactly the reaction you're having. It's a good bit too early to say the Wii U is the next big thing. It sounds more like their initial run is just modest at best. Once people get their hands on it and word gets around, the figures will really tell the tale.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

I think that they limited production the first month they announced it so they can go "see? people will buy this shit" or more precisely they want stooges to do free marketing by pointing out how people are buying the wii-u.

They will of course open up the gates again around October to get as much christmas money as they can...and then you'll hear about how the Wii-U is in the exact same predicament the 3DS is.

When microsoft and sony announce the next consoles in the summer? Then you best believe it'll get ugly.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By AsperGamer

@ajamafalous said:

Nintendo limits their initial production run on every console launch for exactly the reasons you claimed, don't they?

Why do people believe these conspiracy theories? If they over-produced the same people would be claiming it is sitting dead in the water at stores. I'm sorry, but the idea that a company limits production, to sell less of them to sell more of them, is as dumb as it sounds.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Phatmac

You could have just asked the question without this attack against the GB community. So thanks for being a dick instead of actually reporting on what you had to say.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By glyn

@DarthOrange said:

The Deluxe Wii U set is no longer available for pre-order in the U.S. For as jaded as the Giant Bomb community is, it seems like this thing is still going to have a fantastic launch. What I believe happens next is that the news reports that the Wii U pre-orders are selling out, and people are already putting them up on ebay for as much as $1,000 dollars. People go "Oh shit!" and pre-order what remains of the white Wii U's. The things become crazy hard to find because assholes are buying them in bulk to sell at ridiculous prices (like Skylanders) while kids are telling their parents that they want one. The question is, how long does this go on for? A few months? A few years? I personally did not pre-order the Wii U as I was still on the fence (and low on cash) but now it seems my decision was made for me. Is this going to be as big as the Wii? What do you jaded motherfuckers think?

2 consoles were only made

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By AngelN7

I'm not jaded nor do I hate Nintendo I just don't care for that console ... we will see how successful the Wii U will be once it has a year on the market and one year agaisnt the competitors.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheHumanDove

The system sucks. DEAL WITH IT

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By beargirl1

@Phatmac said:

You could have just asked the question without this attack against the GB community. So thanks for being a dick instead of actually reporting on what you had to say.

you could have just addressed his insult without insulting him back

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Phatmac

@AjayRaz said:

@Phatmac said:

Ehh, just felt like doing it. It's probably true.

MindChamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MindChamber

@AsperGamer: I was under the impression US simply got the least supply because the american dollar is shit. Japan and Europe gets larger amounts because they want the most worth for their units.. I could be wrong though.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1

Yup the WiiU is going to be the next big thing. Bigger than the Wii, iPhone and PCs combined. Oh wait I forgot we are in reality and not some fantasy land... Being sold out at launch means nothing for consoles. Look at the the Vita. Strong initial sales for a dedicated handheld platform in 2012 but now it's barely selling, this coming from someone who loves his Vita. I know Nintendo fans are desperate and want this to be a big thing but in reality it won't sell half as many units the Wii did and serious third party support will drop after year 2 or earlier like every other console. At least the WiiU will have an ok couple of months until Microsoft and Sony drop the bomb and start talking and showing their new consoles. If we thought this generation was a leap compared to last the next one will be huge just from the sheer amount of time both MS and Sony have had to develop and iterate on the next consoles.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By laserbolts

I'm not surprised by this at all. If people hear about them selling out on preorders then that will make people want this stuff even more. People are fucking dumb so this simple marketing strategy will work and when they announce that they are taking more preorders people will be all over it. At least that's how I look at this.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AsperGamer

@MindChamber said:

@AsperGamer: I was under the impression US simply got the least supply because the american dollar is shit. Japan and Europe gets larger amounts because they want the most worth for their units.. I could be wrong though.

They can only produce so many units, so I think logic says you are right as they make a much bigger profit outside of the USA, so go where the money is I suppose. Not the same as deliberately starving the market to "manufacture" demand - believe that and believe Americans did 9/11 and man didn't walk on the moon. I'll just go and get my tinfoil hat!

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By me3639

@laserbolts said:

I'm not surprised by this at all. If people hear about them selling out on preorders then that will make people want this stuff even more. People are fucking dumb so this simple marketing strategy will work and when they announce that they are taking more preorders people will be all over it. At least that's how I look at this.

I would love to know how many people:

A) Bought it to sell via Ebay, Craigslist, etc.

B) Think they are also getting a PC tablet ala ipad

C) Think that there are 2 controllers in the box

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

@Doctorchimp said:

I think that they limited production the first month they announced it so they can go "see? people will buy this shit" or more precisely they want stooges to do free marketing by pointing out how people are buying the wii-u.

So anyone that's an early adopter is a moron?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The community is for the most part jaded and I would say that the video gaming community is doubting the WiiU too.  Did the 3DS sell out its pre orders?  I actually cant remember....

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AsperGamer

@me3639 said:

@laserbolts said:

I would love to know how many people:

A) Bought it to sell via Ebay, Craigslist, etc.

B) Think they are also getting a PC tablet ala ipad

C) Think that there are 2 controllers in the box

Potentially smart people go A. Really dumb people go B & C. Some people just don't do even the most basic amount of research.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By KaneRobot

Every console now is the next big thing, until it isn't. I'm sure it'll do OK out of the gate. "Selling out" doesn't really mean anything now. I definitely have my doubts about any sustainable momentum. Have a feeling the Sony and MS offerings are going to make the Wii U look incredibly obsolete by the the time they show up at E3 (or around then).

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

So anyone that's an early adopter is a moron?

Only if the early adopters are making threads about how it's sold out and the wii u will be successful...sure...

Because I didn't mention anything about early adopters...like not even close.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JasonR86

I wonder if the number of deluxe sets given to retailers to pre-order was really low so that Nintendo could then announce "Wii U sold out!". I'm betting that there will be a big shortage of Wii U's for a long time post-launch sort of like what happened with the Wii.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Thoseposers

I had heard that gamestop was running low but every place in the US is sold out? that's pretty crazy, i hope there'll be enough to go around by christmas cause i'd like to pick one up around then

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By huntad

@AjayRaz said:

@Phatmac said:

Yeah...

Lothars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lothars

@msavo said:

Yup the WiiU is going to be the next big thing. Bigger than the Wii, iPhone and PCs combined. Oh wait I forgot we are in reality and not some fantasy land... Being sold out at launch means nothing for consoles. Look at the the Vita. Strong initial sales for a dedicated handheld platform in 2012 but now it's barely selling, this coming from someone who loves his Vita. I know Nintendo fans are desperate and want this to be a big thing but in reality it won't sell half as many units the Wii did and serious third party support will drop after year 2 or earlier like every other console. At least the WiiU will have an ok couple of months until Microsoft and Sony drop the bomb and start talking and showing their new consoles. If we thought this generation was a leap compared to last the next one will be huge just from the sheer amount of time both MS and Sony have had to develop and iterate on the next consoles.

Your exactly on point with that. I also have no faith in Nintendo with how they have proven with the Wii and 3DS to handle a constant release schedule of great games and also I agree that third parties will not support it for a long time, If it is as successful as the Wii than great but I feel Nintendo has tons to prove with the WiiU and it's a given launch will be sold out but can they keep it up? So far I doubt they will but who knows.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bane122

It depends on what you mean by next big thing. A certain amount of the preorders are just speculators with no actual interest in the system but, there's no way to know what percentage of preorders they are. So, if you mean the next fad that everyone wants? Probably, for a while at least. Next big gaming thing that takes gamers and the industry by storm? Can't say yet.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DukesT3

Maaaaaybe.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kindgineer

@AsperGamer said:

@ajamafalous said:

Why do people believe these conspiracy theories? If they over-produced the same people would be claiming it is sitting dead in the water at stores. I'm sorry, but the idea that a company limits production, to sell less of them to sell more of them, is as dumb as it sounds.

It's hard to believe a legitimate business tactic is a "conspiracy." Limiting supply creates an imaginary demand that would not have existed had it not been done. It's no different than Apple hiking up their prices for their products to give them the "sophisticated" image while I think it's well known their products don't need to be that much.

It was a smart, albeit an 'eye roll' position, for Nintendo to do this. They are fighting up-hill this time and they need to make sure they make every serious decision correctly or they will fall flat.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RE_Player1

@Lothars said:

@msavo said:

Your exactly on point with that. I also have no faith in Nintendo with how they have proven with the Wii and 3DS to handle a constant release schedule of great games and also I agree that third parties will not support it for a long time, If it is as successful as the Wii than great but I feel Nintendo has tons to prove with the WiiU and it's a given launch will be sold out but can they keep it up? So far I doubt they will but who knows.

Personally I hope it fails in terms of mainstream Wii-like success. Look at the Gamecube. They were dead last that entire generation but it yielded so many great Nintendo first-party and third-party games because they needed to cater to as much as the hardcore user base, the majority of Gamecube owners, they had.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AsperGamer

@ck1nd said:

@AsperGamer said:

@ajamafalous said:

It's hard to believe a legitimate business tactic is a "conspiracy." Limiting supply creates an imaginary demand that would not have existed had it not been done. It's no different than Apple hiking up their prices for their products to give them the "sophisticated" image while I think it's well known their products don't need to be that much.

It was a smart, albeit an 'eye roll' position, for Nintendo to do this. They are fighting up-hill this time and they need to make sure they make every serious decision correctly or they will fall flat.

There is a big difference between fact and opinion. Someone, anyone, link me to a single piece of evidence that Nintendo deliberately limit supply to increase demand. Just one piece. Not to much to ask for.

A production line is set up and production is limited to what can be produced in a given time frame. In order to increase production, therefore supply, would incur additional cost in setting up a new line, that will likely become redundant as demand levels off. It is normal to have demand greater than supply during an initial spike. It is not economically viable to set up additional production that will eventually be redundant. This is normal supply and demand, not manipulated. A business practice? Again, show me some proof.

As for Apple, which is OT, that is a simple price/demand function. Why would Apple charge lower than the market is willing to pay? They will lower prices when demand falls away. Nothing odd about that.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By algertman

@msavo said:

You said consoles selling out at launch doesn't mean anything then you go on mentioning the Vita and how badly it's selling right now. The Vita didn't sell out at launch. Didn't even come close.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By algertman

@KaneRobot said:

Every console now is the next big thing, until it isn't. I'm sure it'll do OK out of the gate. "Selling out" doesn't really mean anything now. I definitely have my doubts about any sustainable momentum. Have a feeling the Sony and MS offerings are going to make the Wii U look incredibly obsolete by the the time they show up at E3 (or around then).

The PS4 will have a huge battle ahead of it right out of the gate.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RE_Player1

@algertman: It had strong initial sales just like the WiiU will. Just because they are sold out of pre-orders now doesn't mean they will sell out at launch. Sorry if I don't reply to you after this, looking at your post history you are a bit of a troll.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cmblasko

WiiU is going to do fine, just like every other Nintendo console and portable. I doubt it will beat its predecessor's mainstream success, though.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xyzygy

Great news! I'm so hopeful for the Wii U.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jams

I'll be happy if Wii U turns out to be good. I think I'll wait as long as I can. Hopefully I can wait until they release a "slim" model or whatever they'll call the updated version that fixes whatever problems pop up. By then any good games should have a steep discount. I plan on doing that with all of the consoles this time.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By DarthOrange

@xyzygy said:

Great news! I'm so hopeful for the Wii U.

Hooray, some positivity! :)

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Dalai

I wouldn't put any faith in the Wii U being the next big thing because of this early pre-order blitz. I don't think anybody knows how many consoles were up for grabs this round. Besides, the people who pre-ordered it are the Nintendo crazies like me.

I'm doubtful the Wii U will catch on like the Wii did early on, but Nintendo has surprised us before. It's tough to bet against them, honestly.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I just remembered that I still haven't played Rhythm Heaven Fever, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword and I am feeling a tinge of regret for not having pre-ordered this... Fuck,

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By BabyChooChoo

The WiiU will revolutionize video games and entertainment as a whole. It's not the next big thing. It's the last big thing because nothing else will ever be able to top it. GG video game industry.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gonmog

Meh, one thing i have learned on this site, there is a massive hate for a lot of things. One being Nintendo. Not sure why, or care.

But nintendo has proven time and time again they can rake in the cash. Did it with the Wii (and lots of what is being said about the Wii, is being said about the Wii U) and they did it with the 3ds with very poor starting sales. Think that is what a lot of people do not like, they are doing fine with out the main core of game players, but yet it seems the same crowd that hates nintendo for this, loves apple for it.

I really hope Nintendo pulls a other trick out of there hat. And shows us a interesting launch yet again.

xnorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xnorex

I don't understand the people saying 'so what if it sold out'. Understand, the Vita did not sell out preorders... so it's not like it had a rush like this and then flopped. The 3DS didn't sell out preorders either and it became a huge success (look at the numbers). I'm not saying that the Wii U is the next best thing, what I am saying is good luck trying to get one because online it is nearly impossible to preorder... the last site with Deluxe sets is Walmart's and if you look closely it says "Preorder this item today and it should ship on 12/31/2012".

This is no conspiracy by Nintendo and this does not mean that the Wii U will be the the next best thing. What this does mean is that people are interested... As a person who has played it and mainly games on the PC I can tell you that this shit is tough, and honestly, MS and Sony should be worried. The reality of the situation is that even if Sony releases the PS4000 SUPER COMPUTER/HYDRON COLIDER, developers are going to need the money to develop the games to match the tech. And if you are familiar with the state of development cost, then you know that dev teams are already struggling with budgets of games for current gen games... do your homework. :)

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By algertman

WiiU is launching w/ NSMB. That will probably be the highest selling game of the next cycle. It will also probably never have a price drop for years.

- 3DS didn't sellout. It's odd, 3DS is the first game device I can think of that due to good business decisions was able to turn things around.

Avatar image for solarisdeschain
    solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By solarisdeschain

Pre-orders selling out doesn't prove whether or not Wii U is the next big thing, that'll have to be decided at least a year down the line. It's at least starting well, which is nice. But the hatred against Nintendo is remarkable, as well as laughably ignorant given it's inaccuracy and immaturity, so really asking about its success on almost any gaming forum is bound to get you a slew of stupid answers. Nintendo is successful time and time again. They even made a lot of money on the Gamecube, and it's a relatively safe bet Wii U will outsell that.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By hawkinson76

I don't mind if Wii U wins. I won't buy it, but I like competition. Imagine if Sony had come into this generation as #1 and stayed there, the PS3 would never have added all the online features it has now, nor dropped the price as aggressively. And people who like Xbox live should hope that the next Microsoft system doesn't completely dominate, because then online multiplayer will never become free on that system, there may be even more expensive tiers of dumb services tied to key features.

The best case for me is that Wii U does really well in the short term. Sony and Microsoft cannot release their systems any sooner nor can they add hardware features at this point because of basic manufacturing realities, so to upset NIntendos early lead they will have to add services, or be aggressive on price.

So I say go for it NIntendo, given them hell.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ripelivejam

still holding out hope that this will catch on like the DS did a while after it launched. really itching to play pikmin 2 regardless.

keeping an open mind, not ready to declare it shit just yet.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hunter5024

Im pretty damn sure the Wii U will perform better than the enthusiast press expects it to, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was just an artificial shortage. Does make me kind of worried I won't be able to get one at launch though.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I don't think it's the next big thing. Most publicized products that are released by well known manufacturers will sell really well out of the gate. Its going to sell, its made by Nintendo. Nintendo could put out the worst thing since the virtual boy and if it has a Mario, Zelda and maybe a Metroid game people are going to buy it.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ExplodeMode

@DarthOrange said:

What do you jaded motherfuckers think?

I think scalpers remember the Wii launch and are buying up the WiiU to try it again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.