Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Do Wii U Virtual Console games go on sale often?

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I only got my Wii U at Christmas and have been considering purchasing a couple of GBA games and Earthbound. Is it worth waiting around for them to go on sale or something? I remember the Virtual Console games on the Wii never going on sale, is it the same situation with this console?

PS I'm specifically talking about the old Nintendo games on the service, I know the Wii U titles go on sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Not often, and when they do it's only by a dollar or two.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think Super Mario Kart for the SNES might be on the throwback sale right now, but yea I've never really seen those go on sale, and Club Nintendo isn't an option now either. But 7/8 bucks for classics isn't too bad.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

like the others have said, not often. but i think (as is the nintendo way) they're slowly coming into line with the other digital stores in terms of how often there are sales. also while it might be a wild fantasy i kinda hope the club nintendo replacement is their version of 'games with gold' and ps+ stuff.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Have you registered with Club Nintendo? I'm not sure how many coins a new Wii U is worth, but Earthbound is being given away right now for 250 along with many other games. They are closing soon, so the last day to earn coins is March 31st.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think this is the page you can check periodically to see what's on sale:

http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

Virtual Console games rarely go on sale, it's mostly the other downloadable games that go on sale.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cookiemonster

Looks like I can't get Earthbound through club nintendo, they have different offers in different countries apparently!

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As others have mentioned, the sales are usually only minor discounts. Sometimes third-party publishers like Ubisoft will have larger eShop sales, but that doesn't usually include the Virtual Console games. If I were you and there is something you want to play, I would go ahead and buy it rather than waiting for a sale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.