Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Do you think they will release a new model ever?

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

So I saw a Wii U for $260 on ebay and thought to myself, man I should get one of those eventually. It has enough games that I think look interesting for me to consider it. However, with only 32 GBs for storage out of the box I would have to buy the games physically which I'm not a huge fan of.

Do you think they will ever make a new revision with more space or should I just go ahead and buy it?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

You could use an external hard drive if you wanted. Wii U games aren't honestly that big either, so even something like 250 GB should prove to be more than adequate. (You can get 500 GB ones for pretty cheap now too I believe)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

Nope. They're not going to rearrange all of their manufacturing processes to put out a new unit when it's already apparent that they completely missed the mark with getting the public and gamers to pay attention to the Wii U. Putting out a new model would cost R&D money, and probably wouldn't stimulate sales that much.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By MEATBALL

My first instinct is to say yes, because I've been conditioned to expect it with Nintendo systems (hell, with all systems), but BisonHero's pretty on the money. The Gamecube didn't see a revision and it had similar troubles, so I can certainly see the Wii U not receiving any sort of revision.

If there were to be any revision, I bet it would be purely a revision of the Gamepad to make it cheaper to produce and wouldn't be any kind of revision anyone would actually want (such as larger internal storage, an ethernet port or a better screen etc.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No, I highly doubt it. It's been a bomb so far and the production costs for a new model would not be logical (this is just an assumption). I can already see what the haters would say though, "what do Wii U owners need more memory for?"

I will say I think the Wii U is more than worth that price. I got a new one for $300 and don't regret it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It doesn't make any sense for Nintendo to put time and resources towards Wii U hardware at this point. You should just buy one if you want one, and if you want to go digital you can get an external hard drive for not a lot of money.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're more likely to come out with a new console a few years down the line and just put the Wii U behind them. I can't see them releasing a new version of it unless it's just a repackaging. I'd maybe expect a smaller form factor that comes with 2 pro controllers instead of the normal touch-screen controller, but nothing huge. Like with the PS3 and Xbox 360, maybe a different look with a few things changed around.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

My guess is they won't

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Nintendo rarely makes any changes to its home systems regardless of sales. The Wii sold like crazy and only had one SKU until the Wii Mini several years after launch, which was a downgrade in terms of features. So if you're in a market for a Wii U, buy now and get an external drive for storing games.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

As far as I know the only stationary Nintendo console to recieve an update in design was the Wii and the new version was much worse with lack of any kind of internet connection and lack of support for Gamecube games. The only company I absolutely expect to release a new version is Sony since they have done it with all their consoles PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita all have slimmer versions.

EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By EchoForge

We'd probably get a Mini Wii-type which strips out a bunch of things.

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas: The NES & SNES both received design updates.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't imagine what they would do with a new one, the thing is already tiny and uses next to no power. Maybe more internal flash and USB 3.0 support.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Maybe to cut costs.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno. Nintendo revise their handhelds, certainly, but they're much more split down the middle in that regard when it comes to their consoles. Maybe we'll get a tiny, red, Canadian Wii U.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, there was this story that came out in December last year:

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/gaming/consoles/we-need-to-talk-about-this-mysterious-new-wii-u-gamepad-1277043

So who knows. I think Iwata made a comment that they wouldn't start to consider a price drop etc till next financial year, so maybe they'll revise then. All total conjecture though, so take it all with a massive grain of salt.

That being said, I guess if the storage space is the thing holding you back, you can indeed use external storage.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They may if just to do a bit of a soft relaunch, maybe around when Zelda comes out.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

I think Nintendo could go any direction with this. There are reasons to modify the hardware, and just as many not to modify it al all.

If you want one, I suppose get one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.