Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

I'm still irritated that the WiiU doesn't upscale

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bluefish

I honestly would have bought the damn thing if it did. I grew up with Nintendo stuff like so many of us and they just give me too many good reasons to not buy their more modern consoles/Wii/WiiU. Some good stuff is available for both but in a life where I'm inundated with games it's hard to justify another console.

If it upscaled Wii games I would have bought the thing. The most recent thing that brings it to mind is Galaxy and the Metroid Prime trilogy coming to the virtual store. I would buy the shit out of both of those but the reality of how they look on modern TV's, regardless of how shallow it makes me, is realistically something that would keep me really digging into them like I would otherwise.

What keeps you (they who have not bought a WiiU) from buying a WiiU? Realistically: what could Nintendo do to push you over the edge?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Upscaling really only does so much. The PS3 will upscale PS2 games, but the difference is pretty minimal. It would never be like upscaling on a PC emulator.

The only thing keeping me from buying a WiiU at this point is money. Once I have the cash to spare I will probably buy one. This coming year looks to be especially noteworthy for WiiU releases.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tuxfool

What keeps me from buying a WiiU? Dolphin exists.

geardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People, the system has awesome games now. Stop reaching for reasons to not buy one. If you have the money and time, it's worth it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BisonHero  Online

Upscaling really seems like a minor technical thing to be the one issue still deterring you from purchasing a console.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Upscaling really only does so much. The PS3 will upscale PS2 games, but the difference is pretty minimal. It would never be like upscaling on a PC emulator.

The only thing keeping me from buying a WiiU at this point is money. Once I have the cash to spare I will probably buy one. This coming year looks to be especially noteworthy for WiiU releases.

I mean yes and no. Throwing a classic Xbox game into a 360 actually looks really crisp. But seeing Wii or PS2 games running natively just... I dunno. I can do it for a while but it kills immersion just enough that I tend to fall out of the game over time.

@tuxfool said:

Part of the appeal is then I would get to play WiiU games. And I'm allergic to going through settings menus. I kinda hate computers too. Games do look amazing on Dolphin though.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tuxfool
    @geardo said:

People, the system has awesome games now. Stop reaching for reasons to not buy one. If you have the money and time, it's worth it.

I hate Mario. I borrowed a WiiU and Bayonetta2. I might buy one if the price drops and when Xenoblade X comes out. Splatoon looks interesting too..

@bluefish said:

Part of the appeal is then I would get to play WiiU games. And I'm allergic to going through settings menus. I kinda hate computers too. Games do look amazing on Dolphin though.

I love playing with settings. Also neat things you can do with Dolphin is do texture replacement, so you can replace the low res UI textures for example.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool said:

last I checked dolphin did not played wiiu games...

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: See my comment above. The only WiiU game I cared about was Bayonetta 2.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Baillie

There's absolutely nothing I find worth playing on either Wii or Wii U.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bluefish

@geardo said:

It's more a time thing. Like I said, I'm swamped with games. And I know myself, if I'm trying to play the Metroid Prime trilogy and it looks like poop I'll never make it all the way through. Games fight for my time, less so my money.

And it does have awesome games but I don't do local multiplayer which basically kills Smash and Mario Kart for me. I'm left with Bayo 2, 3D Land and... I dunno. Wonderful 101 probably? Zelda when it comes out? But if I could play beautiful versions of Galaxy, Prime etc that would be another story.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bluefish

@baillie said:

Well that's a pretty strong personal opinion. Collectively they have multiple games that got 10/10 from multiple outlets.

Plus: come on.

How do you not like this face?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The thing is, you have to remember that the Xbox 360 ran those OG Xbox games through an emulator. That allowed them the freedom to upscale and smooth things out and make the games look nice, but it came with the consequence of some games didn't get emulated nearly as well and others weren't emulated at all. I have several games I've never been able to play because I didn't have an Xbox and the 360 can't read them.

Compare it to how Wii U and those early PS3s handled it: they just put the guts of the old system in there so it effectively becomes a Wii or a PS2 when you go into those modes. There's only really so much of a wrapper they can put on it to upscale things when they go into full-on hardware emulation rather than software emulation. But considering the trade off is all my stuff works, I think it's very much worth not having upscaling.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish said:

@baillie said:

Well that's a pretty strong personal opinion. Collectively they have multiple games that got 10/10 from multiple outlets.

Plus: come on.

I desperately want to punch that face multiple times...

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bluefish: I dunno why but I never enjoyed Mario Galaxy. I really didn't like the first Bayonetta so the big one is way off my radar. I'm a dick, I know.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie said:

@bluefish: I dunno why but I never enjoyed Mario Galaxy. I really didn't like the first Bayonetta so the big one is way off my radar. I'm a dick, I know.

You absolutely are, but dicks are like opinions. If you take a careful moment to present them thoughtfully, things can go pretty well.

@iamjohn said:

The thing is, you have to remember that the Xbox 360 ran those OG Xbox games through an emulator. That allowed them the freedom to upscale and smooth things out and make the games look nice, but it came with the consequence of some games didn't get emulated nearly as well and others weren't emulated at all. I

I did not know this. That's super cool and explains why Xbox games look so friggin slick through a 360.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Upscaling really seems like a minor technical thing to be the one issue still deterring you from purchasing a console.

You can make that argument if you wish, but if it's something that is deterring a number of people from buying a console then I think it's in their best interest to address it. I already own a Wii U personally. I have four Wii U games for it. I also buy a lot of games, almost recklessly, but I only buy games I'm interested in playing. I would have bought the hell out of Mario Galaxy on Wii U and the Metroid Prime Trilogy and just about any first party Gamecube game put out on the eShop. I haven't bought any though because they don't upscale. I do not want to play SD games on an HDTV. I would rather play on Dolphin (which I do have installed). Those are missed sales and I'd imagine bluefish and I aren't the only two people on the planet who didn't buy them specifically because of this issue.

And I'm not saying this just to say it either. I rebought The Last of Us, Tomb Raider DE, Master Chief Collection, and probably something else this past year even though I had just bought those games the year before because they played at a higher resolution. I may be an idiot for rebuying games I thoroughly enjoyed the first time with any sort of excuse such as a higher resolution, but Nintendo isn't offering me any sort of reason to purchase these games again.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tpoppapuff: Exactly. One of the best purchases I made in 2014 / that I enjoyed the most was the Metro Redux. A fresh presentation can do a lot for an experience and a shabby one can do a lot of harm.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@iamjohn said:

Compare it to how Wii U and those early PS3s handled it: they just put the guts of the old system in there so it effectively becomes a Wii or a PS2 when you go into those modes. There's only really so much of a wrapper they can put on it to upscale things when they go into full-on hardware emulation rather than software emulation. But considering the trade off is all my stuff works, I think it's very much worth not having upscaling.

It's worth not having upscaling for those games you already own on disc and want to run off the disc. I get that. However, that doesn't mean that when I have to download a title off the Wii U eShop that it should be held to the same restrictions as the old disc version. I don't get to freely download the rom on Wii U just because I own the old game. I still have to purchase it again. If I'm making a purchase, make the purchase worth my while and worth my money. They didn't throw up their entire catalogue of games in one shot anyways, so they should go ahead and add in an emulator and wrapper and whatever else needs to happen to get the older games running in HD before offering them on the eShop.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It totally up scales, it takes the 480 line source and pumps it out as a 1080 signal. Resolution increases are an entirely different matter, and yes it is a bummer that it doesn't do it.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish: no you don't. Game consoles, smartphones, modern cars, etc are all computers or have computers controlig them.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got a wii u this last christmas i have bayonetta 1 and 2, smash bros, mario 3d world, mario kart 8 and nintendo land and i'm already bored with it lol

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing preventing me from buying a WiiU in Korea, where I live, is Nintendo indefinitely postponing the Korean release date. And then when and if it finally does come here, I'm sure that much like the Wii before it, it'll be region locked, and maybe 1 out of 10 games for it will actually be released here, and then they'll only be in Korean and not have multiple languages. Sony and Microsoft learned to cater to a global audience years ago, Nintendo steadfastly refuses to do so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.