Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Nintendo Announces WiiU Final Specs Reveal at E3 2012

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro
    No Caption Provided

Nintendo's president Satoru Iwata has admitted to investors the company screwed up with the launch of the 3DS, and that the company don't intend to make the same mistakes again with WiiU.

Since 3DS's launch, a number of design design flaws have become apparent to Its owners, including myself. In addition, developers like Capcom have been unhappy with the default control options available for the machine, prompting Nintendo to develop a cumbersome add-on Circle Pad. These two things strongly suggests the handheld was rushed out to consumers and that developer input was not heeded during it's development. The latter is exactly what Nintendo is claiming is happening with WiiU however. I can only guess 3DS missed out on the fresh approach of courting developer input.

"We are also planning to launch the Wii U, which is the successor to the Wii, during the next fiscal year. We would like to show the final format of the Wii U at the E3 show next year. As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch."

- Satoru Iwata

Reggie Fils-Aime talks about this in an inteview with GT (15.00)

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/138?ch=1

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Still not too excited.
    I want Nintendo to go back to basics.

Where's my Earthbound, goddamnit.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Contro you are becoming my favorite member even though you never use the right it's/its. Keep on truckin'.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By ReyGitano

No surprise there either way. They already introduced it last E3, no reason not to show off the specs at the next convention. By that same token if they didn't show specs and just talked games at the next E3 I wouldn't be surprised either.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By alternate

IF they have not even locked down the hardware yet it doesn't sound great for launch games.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeF

They're not gonna talk about CPU/GPU clock speeds or whatnot. They never do. Please don't expect that. They're gonna show the final hardware with its features and games which is enough.

I'm really excited for this system! Let's hope they implement some kind of upscaling feature for Wii games.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I think this idea has much better potential than the Wii did. I can see the tablet actually being useful for certain games, and we're back to basics with the controls, I think the motion stuff is going to be very much downplayed, except for the minigame collections and such to appeal to the non-gamers. I'm not sure why there's been so much negativity for it.

..But, the system specs are what's going to be interesting now, especially if rumours about a new Xbox and Playstation in 2013 are true. The thing needs to be cutting edge, not just on par with current gen systems, otherwise Nintendo are very quickly going to find themselves in exactly the same situation they're in now.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Contro

@WinterSnowblind said:

I think this idea has much better potential than the Wii did. I can see the tablet actually being useful for certain games, and we're back to basics with the controls, I think the motion stuff is going to be very much downplayed, except for the minigame collections and such to appeal to the non-gamers. I'm not sure why there's been so much negativity for it.

..But, the system specs are what's going to be interesting now, especially if rumours about a new Xbox and Playstation in 2013 are true. The thing needs to be cutting edge, not just on par with current gen systems, otherwise Nintendo are very quickly going to find themselves in exactly the same situation they're in now.

The WiiU controller will simply give more options to developers. You would be wrong to think this will bring about an end to motion controls. Wii Motion Plus will still have a significant role to play in WiiU's software library if reviews of Skyward Sword are anything to go by, and rumours concerning Pikmin WiiU are correct.

With WiiU's controller, Nintendo are simply bringing together components they've been using for a number of years, into one controller.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I wonder whether the machine is already built and the specs will be outdated come E3 2012, or whether they're building it then and there (GTX 560 maybe? looool)

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By mariokart64fan

lol every console is outdated after its released it doesnt matter, except n64 lol , that was the only exception and i think snes

all that matters is if its good enough for developers and crytec was already happy with it so , that said , we got to wait til e3 2012 plus we still dont know if ps4 or 720 is gonna go for power this time round 1` report said sony wasnt goin for power next gen another said they want to release ps4 before 720

so i don know

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By FreakAche

@mariokart64fan said:

lol every console is outdated after its released it doesnt matter, except n64 lol , that was the only exception and i think snes

Huh? Explain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.