Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Pachter at it again!

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mordukai
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

Boring unfunny man makes prediction that is probably wrong like many of the other things he says. Shock horror.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mordukai

@Sooty said:

Boring unfunny man makes prediction that is probably wrong like many of the other things he says. Shock horror.

Yet somehow he gets paid very handsomely for those predictions, go figure. I wonder, does any of his predictions actually came true?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Mordukai said:

I wonder, does any of his predictions actually came true?

If they didn't...

@Mordukai said:

he gets paid very handsomely for those predictions, go figure.

...he wouldn't.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Ducksworth

@Mordukai said:

@Sooty said:

Yet somehow he gets paid very handsomely for those predictions, go figure. I wonder, does any of his predictions actually came true?

He's had a fair number of predictions come true. I'm not sure what the ratio is but people seem to enjoy using him a scapegoat even though everything he does is about as harmless as Jack Thompson.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai

@ProfessorEss said:

@Mordukai said:

If they didn't...

@Mordukai said:

...he wouldn't.

I see what you did there. You went all Yoda on me.

ick_bop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ick_bop

Other than the next gen hdd size, his 'predictions' here are rather obvious.

andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By andriv

@Sooty said:

If you watch his videos on gametrailers he does nothing to hide that most of the predictions he has and will make will not come true. For that reason, his predictions are not worth reporting on.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

1. Predicting that the next Microsoft and Sony consoles will have 4GB hard drives is fucking stupid. Both companies have been trying to push media beyond games on their consoles as well as digital distribution over retail distribution. In essence, at least a 20GB hard drive with at least 2GB of cloud storage available for premium online subscription members seems like the only way to go.

2. The Wii U won't be dead on arrival, and it is not doomed. They aren't announcing a price because they've barely even shown the fucking thing off. Wait until E3 and I'm sure we'll get a price for the thing. Even then, it's not going to be over $300, and if it is, Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot. If you go up to the average casual gamer and say "hey, that new Nintendo console that has the tablet thingie and all that is $300", those consumers will make a direct comparison against a $300+ iPad and say "that's a deal!".

3. Pachter brings up the topic of "social games". He seems to keep forgetting that the Wii U HAS A FUCKING TABLET ATTACHED TO IT! You know how much Zynga would probably kill to get Farmville on that fucker? Do you know how many goddamn units they would sell? Seriously, if people thought the Wii was a dumping ground for mini-game collections, get ready for the Wii U to be a dumping ground for Flash games and Zynga shit. In turn, how is it that everyone is turning away from the Wii to go play social games...and then looking at the Wii U and NOT saying "I wonder if it'll have Farmville"?

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I like Pachter and think he made some good points. No one I know plays there Wii anymore. I even showed some "casual" people the Wii U and they seemed to have no interest in it. I think the 4GB Hard Drives thing isn't going to happen though. Mircosoft and Sony want everything to be digital. It would hurt them greatly to start with only 4GBs.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GuyIncognito

4GB? Maybe, he meant 4TB.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
    deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Mordukai Pretty sure it's against the rules to steal ugly insert art and use it as your avatar.
    moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By moncole

Pach is so annoying

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By awadnin

Patience, a true nintendo's console will be shown at E3 2012. 

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Mike Pachy is the ultimate troll. He's like every armchair gaming analyst, only he makes mad bank out of very wealthy and gullible people.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arker101

Hey guys, I predict that there won't be a Dreamcast 2! Can I have my analyst money now?

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WMWA
    @ProfessorEss

@Mordukai said:

If they didn't...

@Mordukai said:

...he wouldn't.

Yup
    Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Contrarian

@Arker101 said:

Hey guys, I predict that there won't be a Dreamcast 2! Can I have my analyst money now?

I can predict there won't be a Game Gear 2! We need to open up a business and wait for the money to roll in.

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGorilla

@Mordukai said:

@Sooty said:

You are a moron. Pachter gets paid to advise companies on investment decisions. He just makes predictions of things like a Wii HD for fun. His job is to analyze stock prices and advise on whether or not a particular stock is a good investment. He is not paid to be the fortune teller of the games industry.

Pachter is right, Nintendo is in disarray. They'll probably get over it and be fine for this next cycle, but if you evaluate sales data over the last few years it's clear they made a misstep, not to mention they aren't well positioned in the online space. There is nothing wrong with pointing out when a company isn't at the top of their game.

Remember, Pachter knows more about the economics and business of this industry than you do. Period. Just like anyone else he says things that are wrong, but he also has a point of view that is wholly different from your own. Try and understand why he says everything he does instead of reacting so emotionally to it. Emotional reactions to a dude making a prediction betray you for lowly internet scum.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By sopranosfan

If I had a dollar for every time an expert said Nintendo was going to fail I would have a lot of money. Every console since the N64 was supposed to be the one that failed miserably and here they are with the best selling console this gen and the best selling handheld last gen and will probably have the best selling handheld this gen as well.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By chilibean_3

Oh that Pachter!

/hands on hips

/funny look towards camera

/didn't actually read the article because why the fuck would I?

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hwy_61

@chilibean_3: lol!

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By emergency

@TheGorilla said:

@Mordukai said:

@Sooty said:

You are a moron. Pachter gets paid to advise companies on investment decisions. He just makes predictions of things like a Wii HD for fun. His job is to analyze stock prices and advise on whether or not a particular stock is a good investment. He is not paid to be the fortune teller of the games industry.

Pachter is right, Nintendo is in disarray. They'll probably get over it and be fine for this next cycle, but if you evaluate sales data over the last few years it's clear they made a misstep, not to mention they aren't well positioned in the online space. There is nothing wrong with pointing out when a company isn't at the top of their game.

Remember, Pachter knows more about the economics and business of this industry than you do. Period. Just like anyone else he says things that are wrong, but he also has a point of view that is wholly different from your own. Try and understand why he says everything he does instead of reacting so emotionally to it. Emotional reactions to a dude making a prediction betray you for lowly internet scum.

You sir, saved me a good 5minutes of typing out pretty much what you have said word for word. Every single time a Pachter thread appears, everybody jumps on the bandwagon and says he's wrong and how he shouldn't get paid for making these predictions and I cringe so hard.

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kurtbro900

Let's at least wait until e3, eh pachter.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@TheGorilla: Thank fucking god someone else understands what he does. It pisses me off to no end to browse though a random forum and see people raging at the man for all the wrong reasons. I'm not talking about the people who just don't like him for whatever reason, they're fine. It's the people who cry, moan, and send him angry letters, because they don't understand his job, that piss me off.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IAmNotBatman

You guys know that this thing is just like a bit on the side for Pachter right? This isn't what he spend all his time doing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.