Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Please help I'm going to pull my hair out!

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pompouspizza

So I get my wii u home and now I can't for the life of me connect to the internet. At first I couldn't connect to the device but I followed that guide that nintendo have told people to do, but it didn't fix the problem instead now it will connect to the router but not the internet...I have tried everything I can think of. please help.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By evanbower

@pompouspizza: Apparently some people have had to enter their IP address manually?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pompouspizza

@evanbower: Yeah i tried that.

mclakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By mclakers

Have you tried changing the bandwidth on your router, b,g,n and so fourth. Also see if you can mess with the hrtz/ channel your signal is on.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pompouspizza

@mclakers: I should have mentioned, I am not technical in the slightest, that means nothing to me.

plagueseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By plagueseason

Just got a Wii U and had the same issue. This article did the trick for me: http://kotaku.com/5961600/if-your-wii-u-wont-connect-to-your-wifi-router-heres-what-to-do

On the latest Bombcast, Vinny said he had the same issue too. Sounds like Nintendo really goofed on the initial firmware.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pompouspizza

@plagueseason: I did that, and can connect to device but not internet.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Jayzilla

Have you tried returning it to the store? Coffee table console as a discussion piece? Hope you get it working.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

Nintendo has been well known for releasing solid hardware over the years, but the Wii U sounds like a nightmare at this point. I kind of want one, but I've heard that a lot of people are having issues with it.

plagueseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By plagueseason

@pompouspizza: Do you have a lot of other devices on your wireless network? Maybe try adding 1 or 2 to the value of the last octet of your IP address (example if you made your IP 10.0.1.12 try making it 10.0.1.14 or 10.0.1.15). It's possible another device is using the address you typed in.

Are you having any issues with other wireless devices in your home?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

@MiamiRedHawks said:

Nintendo has been well known for releasing solid hardware over the years, but the Wii U sounds like a nightmare at this point. I kind of want one, but I've heard that a lot of people are having issues with it.

Between the internet issues, freezing, discs not reading and general UI in general it sounds very rushed. Not to the extent where consoles are bricking every other minute, like the 360 early years, but it sounds sloppy for a Nintendo product.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pompouspizza

@plagueseason: I will always love you, it worked!!!

plagueseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By plagueseason

Nice! Glad that did the trick. Enjoy your new console. I've spent the last 3+ hours installing updates and transferring wii data and mii characters from my 3DS. Went to finally load up Super Mario Wii U, and surprise, another update! Haha. Nintendo came up with some nice bandaid fixes to transfer stuff over, but their lack of good online service design on the Wii really made this whole process a lot more difficult than it should have been. Well, looks like Mario is loaded up now. Off I go!

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pompouspizza

@plagueseason: I was really worried there for a second that it just wouldn't work. I played a few levels of mario, seems fun, it looks great. Also spent an hour playing zombiU, died, then died again on the way to get my stuff so decided to delete my save and start over, the game seems really fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.