Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Poor Wii U

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hunkulese

I was excited for the Wii U when it was announced. It sounded like it would be more powerful then the PS3 and cheaper. I thought it would be a great system to bridge the gap between the current gen and the next consoles Microsoft and Sony released. But now if you believe the rumors it is probably slightly below a PS3 power wise and Microsoft may be rushing the next gen out in 2012. Wii U could be a generation behind the same year it is released and there are really only three reasons to buy one now. 1) You`ve only ever had a Wii and you`re ready to play real games. 2) You really love gimmicks or 3) You can`t get enough Zelda.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

@Hunkulese said:

I was excited for the Wii U when it was announced. It sounded like it would be more powerful then the PS3 and cheaper.

I'm not sure they ever said that it was more powerful- and cheaper? They've never even mentioned a price, and isn't the PS3 pretty cheap now anyway?

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jetsetwillie

i heard a rumour that the Wiiu would be 8 times as powerful as something 8 times less powerful. and orange

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hunkulese

@TooWalrus said:

@Hunkulese said:

I was excited for the Wii U when it was announced. It sounded like it would be more powerful then the PS3 and cheaper.

I'm not sure they ever said that it was more powerful- and cheaper? They've never even mentioned a price, and isn't the PS3 pretty cheap now anyway?

The initial speculation was that it would be more powerful and under $250. Of course they never said it. Nothing official has been released except that it will exist.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I doubt a nintendo system will ever have 'real' games nor 3rd party support thats worth a damn. The wii u is as dead as the wii.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

@sins_of_mosin said:

I doubt a nintendo system will ever have 'real' games nor 3rd party support thats worth a damn. The wii u is as dead as the wii.

???

@Hunkulese said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Hunkulese said:

The initial speculation was that it would be more powerful and under $250. Of course they never said it. Nothing official has been released except that it will exist.

The $250 speculation was only because that's the most any Nintendo platform or handheld has ever cost. They never made any announcements regarding price, and they never made any announcements regarding the actual strength of the Wii U. The only thing that they talked about at E3 to any extent was the controller. Anything else we've heard is either hearsay or speculation, because even developers working with Wii U dev kits are contradicting each other.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hunkulese

@sins_of_mosin: Why not? Their E3 montage had clips from pretty much all 3rd party games you could hope for.

Developers enjoy selling games. If the Wii U can run their games and they don`t have to change up their entire control scheme why wouldn`t they want to release their games on the Wii U.

mousse_gallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By mousse_gallon

I was excited for the Wii U until they said you can not use 4 of the tablet controllers with it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hunkulese

@Hailinel: People really have a hard time with reading comprehension. I never stated anything as fact. If you read what I wrote I used words like sounded like, rumors and speculation.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

@Mousse_gallon said:

I was excited for the Wii U until they said you can not use 4 of the tablet contolers with it.

And when did they specifically say that there is no possibility of using four at a time on a final release unit?

CaptainKay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaptainKay

Nintendo shifted their focus from core-gamers many years ago now. They release a few good games every now and then just to string along their cult following. My two cents.

AndyMacneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AndyMacneil

I personally don't care about the WiiU. If they make more games I'm interested in, I'll buy it. Nothing against Nintendo.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mac_n_nina

You're obviously on some skooma thinking that it will be less powerful than the PS3. If you look at the rumored GPUs from AMD they all are 4-6x more powerful than current gen, which is what a traditional generation leap is compared to it's predecessors. However Wii U will be more like a 10x leap from Wii.

mousse_gallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#14  Edited By mousse_gallon
    @Hailinel said:

@Mousse_gallon said:

I was excited for the Wii U until they said you can not use 4 of the tablet controllers with it.

And when did they specifically say that there is no possibility of using four at a time on a final release unit?

Sadly I can only go with the latest info available to judge my level of excitement (and I think at E3 they said it would only support one of them)

http://kotaku.com/5857472/report-nintendo-looking-into-support-for-multiple-wii-u-controller-screens

2 of them is better but 4 is the correct number to me.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@mac_n_nina said:

You're obviously on some skooma thinking that it will be less powerful than the PS3.

OP is on dat moon sugar, son!

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By AngelN7

I will only care for the Wii U when they make a TWETY sequel using the controller and the TV at the same time! ... that and a better looking Super Smash Bros.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jack268

Even with the specs they already announced (Radeon 4870 equivalent I believe?) it'd be a lot stronger than the PS3. And the final hardware is supposed to be announced at E3, so this kind of speculation is pretty pointless.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By PufferFiz

When I played it at E3 I was surprised how good it looked. But it did look like stuff that could be run on other hardware. I think the best game that will come for it will be ones that use controller and not just graphics. Like the Pop Up Pirate game was my fav of the lineup.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Vexxan
    @AndyMacneil said:

I personally don't care about the WiiU. If they make more games I'm interested in, I'll buy it. Nothing against Nintendo.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Commisar123

@jetsetwillie said:

i heard a rumour that the Wiiu would be 8 times as powerful as something 8 times less powerful. and orange

I heard it was going to be made of solid platinum and work like the holodeck.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Ramone

@OllyOxenFree said:

@mac_n_nina said:

You're obviously on some skooma thinking that it will be less powerful than the PS3.

Mothafucka thinking he all Dragonborn and shit. He couldn't Thu'um for shit

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

So, it's like 6 gamecubes duct taped together? That's some serious processing power right there.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By CaLe

The new Zelda OST is pretty awesome.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Make an updated Fatal Frame 2 for it.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Simplexity

I'll end up buying it at some point for the nintendo exclusives they are worth it in my book.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JasonR86

@sins_of_mosin said:

...huh.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By NickLott

@Hunkulese said:

Microsoft may be rushing the next gen out in 2012.

If the Xbox 3 is coming out in 2012, I'd hardly call 7 years for a successor to the 360 "rushing". This console cycle has actually gone on pretty long.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

I doubt it'll be under 250$, and it's more likely going to be 300$. Inflation tends to do that. We're far flung from the N64 and Gamecube 200$ launch prices that's for sure.

I'm sure it'll do well, but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to get it. LIke the wii I'll wait till it's 200$ or so. If the wii was any indication it's not going to take a lot of work to catch up with it's significant games. Hell, knowing Nintendo's pace by the time it's 200$ they'll finally be getting their 2nd or 3rd game worth playing.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Why would I buy a Nintendo system if I wanted to play something other than Nintendo games?

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mac_n_nina

@Ramone said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

@mac_n_nina said:

Mothafucka thinking he all Dragonborn and shit. He couldn't Thu'um for shit

That skooma shit up in Skyrim is all cut up about a thousand times after they process it. Out in Megaton we fuck with that pyscho mixed with Med-X. Woo-wee all tweaked up about to go on a hobo killing rampage

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hunkulese

@NickLott said:

@Hunkulese said:

If the Xbox 3 is coming out in 2012, I'd hardly call 7 years for a successor to the 360 "rushing". This console cycle has actually gone on pretty long.

Microsoft stated last year that they expected the 360 to flourish until 2015. They are also releasing Halo 4 in late 2012 on the 360. If they had planned on releasing a new console in 2012 don't you think they would have wanted the new Halo trilogy to sell their new console? They see they are losing the lead they have over Sony and know if they want the next gen to go as well for them as this gen they need to release the next xbox before the next playstation. It may have all been a big conspiracy to try and pull a fast one on Sony but if you take 3 years off the expected release date in less than a year it sure sounds like trying to rush it to the market to me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Jeust

@Hunkulese said:

@NickLott said:

@Hunkulese said:

Microsoft stated last year that they expected the 360 to flourish until 2015. They are also releasing Halo 4 in late 2012 on the 360. If they had planned on releasing a new console in 2012 don't you think they would have wanted the new Halo trilogy to sell their new console? They see they are losing the lead they have over Sony and know if they want the next gen to go as well for them as this gen they need to release the next xbox before the next playstation. It may have all been a big conspiracy to try and pull a fast one on Sony but if you take 3 years off the expected release date in less than a year it sure sounds like trying to rush it to the market to me.

In any field of life, what yesterday was true, tomorrow is a lie. You can't take the word of a Microsoft representative as something set in stone. If that was the case, they would never have released Kinect and attacked the casual market.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By NickLott

@Hunkulese said:

@NickLott said:

@Hunkulese said:

Them saying they expect the 360 to be viable for until 2015 doesn't mean that they won't release a successor before that much the same way the ps2 remained a viable platform at least 2-3 years into this console generation. Sony also said that they expect a 10 year lifespan for the PS3 but also say that that a successor would be released before that 10 years is up. Generation overlap and transition has has always been a part of the business.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Hunkulese said:

@NickLott said:

@Hunkulese said:

It would be business suicide for them to come out and say "please keep buying Xbox 360 but also we will have a new one next year". That would be shooting yourself in the foot with a cannon shell.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35  Edited By Dookysharpgun

Nintendo basically talked out their asses for that entire conference, and its no real surprise. With a HD console coming out 5 years after it was standard on any other home console, they really had no other choice but to lie about the specs to get people interested in it. The controller will be accountable for most of the price, and even then, the 3rd party titles will be pulled much like with the 3DS, which I believe was promised an Assassin's Creed game, and a Saints Row title, both of which I think have been pulled.

Unfortunately, the WiiU isn't going to be a saving grace. The Wii is thriving off of shovelware fitness titles, and pointless Wii >insert activity here< games. I have a Wii, and I'm tempted to buy Zelda, the only game that will actually have effort put into it between now and the WiiU's release, but having said that, I don't feel like spending an extra sum of money for a motion+ attachment for my controller, so this console is pretty much in a dead zone, at least from my point-of-view. I simply don't care how good Skyward Sword is: 65 quid is not worth it, not when I can get other games that won't burn my retinas (I suffer from migraines) while I play them.

The Wii could be made for less than 80 quid, and the WiiU will have a fancy controller, but 5 year old ideas that everyone else got around to. Not only that, but Nintendo are all but dropping their motion controller idea with this console. Not to beat a dead horse here, but unless a gimmick is actually used effectively, then its just a fucking gimmick. The first wave of WiiU games will used 'fully integrated' controller concepts...then the shit will start flowing.

As well as these fact, we have to look at the casual market, that don't really want or need a new console, so they'll more than likely skip this during that butter-zone where sales actually matter, and may negatively effect the investors of Nintendo. I loved Nintendo, I have a Gamecube ffs, but I refuse to buy a Nintendo console until they at least create some new, interesting IPs, because a new Zelda and Metroid every generation is utter robbery, and they don't even have the decency to create a new Starfox title for home consoles. When Suda51 pulls his games from your console because he can't get proper support and is censored half the time, then you're pretty much fucked, because he's insane, and he'd make games for as many consoles are possible.

I once loved Nintendo, but now...they've lost their magic, and their ideas are very much centered in the here-and-now, instead of thinking a long term strategy, or even logical choices, like making games for their new handheld console...god dammit...what are they doing?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By mariokart64fan

wait , the final console has not been revealed yet- wont be til e3 2012 , so how do you know it wont be more powerful then ps3 ,

and 2

to the one who said nintendo shifted their focus? the last time i checked mario came on the nes, so did zelda metroid punchout kirby etc , so how come wii and ds and 3ds sitll have these if they changed their focus! ya give me a break , they never changed,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.