Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Quick question that might tip the scale one way or the other

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

Between my lust for new things / new tech, me wanting to "check it off the list" (for better or worse i always get every system) and my curiosity about Zombie U (which screams Condemned 3 to me) im thinking of getting a Wii U, fully knowing I will barely play it. One thing that concerns me tho is, besides the horrendous load times on everything, people keep saying the battery life on the gamepad is awful. So my question is, can you not use it while charging, or does it have some sort of dock where the AC adapter goes and you can only use it out of it. Because if so, thats a huge deal breaker.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

You can still use it while charging, although I do not know how long the cable actually is.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Its about 6 foot long, so not long enough for me.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rhaknar

6 foot is about 2 meters, little less... yeah thats kinda short :( hmph... hmph I say sirs!

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zaccheus

2m sounds a bit short... You't think Nintendo was aware of this potential problem, they should have added at least another meter to that.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Shaunage

The gamepad plugs into a wall socket to charge, so it's not like you need to be sitting that close to your console, depending on how the room is laid out.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rhaknar

does it come with a HDMI cable by the way? was at the mall earlier, and even tho they had a big poster with the prices for the normal, deluxe and the zombi U bundle (which is what i wanted), the zombi U bundle was nowhere to be seen... was tempted tho, but meh, still on the fence.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

@Rhaknar said:

does it come with a HDMI cable by the way? was at the mall earlier, and even tho they had a big poster with the prices for the normal, deluxe and the zombi U bundle (which is what i wanted), the zombi U bundle was nowhere to be seen... was tempted tho, but meh, still on the fence.

Yeh it does, first and only thing Nintendo have done right in my eyes.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Rhaknar

Yes it comes with everything you need to set it up.

As for me, zombiu was also a huge selling point and I have really enjoyed the game. The gamepad does have a kind of crappy battery life. I wanna say 3-4 hours or so but if you turn down the brightness you can get more out of it. But like others have said the AC adapter can plug into the controller, it doesn't need the stand to change. Also the actual plug itself seems to be pretty common so it's possibe you may have a longer cord.
    Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Blastroid

$1 extension cords make the charge cable even longer.

SirShandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SirShandy

I just measured the charging cable. It's slightly over 8 ft and 2 inches long. You can charge the gamepad directly through the cable, while playing, or rest it on the dock which the cable can plug into. Also, you might be disappointed going into zombiu expecting a condemned like game. It does it's own thing. It's very good, it knows how to build atmosphere, but it plays and is structured very differently.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By DeF

@Rhaknar: I've been using the thing a lot since Friday, the load times are not that long. People only notice because boot up screens are static and nothing is happening to distract you from the fact that something is loading. Same with the system stuff like Miiverse, Settings or the Friend List. There's like a 5-second load on everything. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal ultimately. It's also safe to assume that they're going to improve those load times with future updates.

And if you turn down the brightness a bit on the GamePad, the battery life is also just fine. Like the others say, just plug it in while you keep playing if the battery runs low. It's not a USB-cable but a proper power cord that you can plug into a wall and use any extension you like.

From where I'm standing, those are all minor annoyances that can either be worked around or fixed later on.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

@Blastroid said:

There you go, the short cable length literally shouldn't be a problem, as long as you've got a few bucks in your pocket.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

@TooWalrus said:

@Blastroid said:

There you go, the short cable length literally shouldn't be a problem, as long as you've got a few bucks in your pocket.

Yes this is what I do with my Vita (I know plugging it in defeats the point of portable) but playing games like AC and P4G on that crappy battery isn't fun.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toowalrus

@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Blastroid said:

Yes this is what I do with my Vita (I know plugging it in defeats the point of portable) but playing games like AC and P4G on that crappy battery isn't fun.

Yeah, and I actually got two PS2 extension cables (I've been playing a few older games lately), because my TV is so far away from my bed, and they were way cheaper than wireless PS2 controllers.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rhaknar

last question, I assume the ZombiU bundle doesnt come with Nintendoland?

SirShandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SirShandy

It only comes with ZombiU, and I think it also comes with a pro controller.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.