Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Second hand Wii U's give you access to previous owner's games

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-04-second-hand-wii-u-consoles-give-access-to-old-users-games-report

What? That's insane. Nintendo royally screwed up by not linking purchased games to a user account and this seems like it might end up hurting them as much as the consumer. Do you think it's something they could "fix" via a firmware update? Or maybe they should seriously consider jerry-rigging together someway of freeing games from the consoles they're tied to.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By alternate

Didn't they establish this on the day one live stream?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Rhaknar

which is why ill never buy any downloadable game on my WiiU

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By jacksukeru

This is unsurprising considering what we already know. More importantly the whole "locking games to the console" business is bullshit and is making me very reluctant to purchase any games digitally. The thought of my entire collection of games for a given system hinging on a single point of failure as not a pleasant one.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor

@alternate said:

Didn't they establish this on the day one live stream?

We knew that games are locked to the console but you can still access them even if you delete EVERYTHING.

Plus, I don't think anyone expected this to impact second hand sales in this way.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Seppli

And the WiiU drops yet again another notch down on my list of gaming priorities. Nintendo really doesn't seem to grasp the videogame business anymore, outside of re-making the same games over and over again, which they do really well.

Their online scheme is borderline irrational. Nintendo Japan truely seems to sit in some Ivory Tower, and have lost all grasp on reality. Oh well, all it takes is one exclusive I can't say no to. Haven't gotten one of them last generation, but the waggle gimmick also put me off big time. Seeing how the touchscreen gamepad conceptually excites me, they might eventually get my business this time around.

Then again, there's just so much time in the day, and I'm sure either Sony's 'Omni', or Microsoft's 'Xbox', alongside my PC, will snuggly fill that up anyways.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Maajin

It's the same way with the 3DS, and the WIi isn't it?

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Worcanna

So you guys are kinda just saying "Im not going to keep my Wii U in the future. I will be trading it"...right? Since that's ALL this means. If you trade it, you'll give the person games. If you DON'T trade it. It isn't a problem. Im confused as to the problem i guess since i don't trade consoles or even THINK of it less then 2 months after launch. But that's just me.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Ghostiet

Used games are for pussies, used consoles are the real future.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hitchenson

@Worcanna said:

So you guys are kinda just saying "Im not going to keep my Wii U in the future. I will be trading it"...right? Since that's ALL this means. If you trade it, you'll give the person games. If you DON'T trade it. It isn't a problem. Im confused as to the problem i guess since i don't trade consoles or even THINK of it less then 2 months after launch. But that's just me.

If it broke, you'd lose your games.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Vexxan

Way to go, Nintendo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Oh Nintendo. I was really pulling for you guys, but you just... You just don't get it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@Vitor said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-04-second-hand-wii-u-consoles-give-access-to-old-users-games-report

What? That's insane. Nintendo royally screwed up by not linking purchased games to a user account and this seems like it might end up hurting them as much as the consumer. Do you think it's something they could "fix" via a firmware update? Or maybe they should seriously consider jerry-rigging together someway of freeing games from the consoles they're tied to.

They could potentially fix it with a firmware update. There are a number of things that could be fixed with firmware updates, actually. But seeing as this is only an issue for second-hand consoles, it could potentially be fixed before it becomes too damaging. I can't imagine that the second-hand Wii U market is very large at this point.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

If someone is selling their console, why would they care what happens to the games? They obviously don't intend to play them anymore.

Seems like a win for whoever is buying the used console and a major loss for Nintendo: new console comes with no games while a used console, could be some good games in there too.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Phatmac

Nintendo develops a cool indie game mantra yet they still failed this badly. Ugh.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@Kidavenger said:

If someone is selling their console, why would they care what happens to the games? They obviously don't intend to play them anymore.

Seems like a win for whoever is buying the used console and a major loss for Nintendo: new console comes with no games while a used console, could be some good games in there too.

I think this is why the news hasn't erupted in a firestorm across the game news sites at this point. If you buy a used console that has access to previously bought games, you're basically getting the game library of the previous owner along with it. Any game that hadn't been downloaded still needs to be purchased, so in that sense, developers aren't losing sales. The effect would be the exact same someone were to just give or sell their Wii U to a friend without deleting the games off of it first.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TruthTellah

@Kidavenger said:

I think a big part of the issue is for people getting replacement consoles or upgrading to whatever the next console is. Games should be linked to the accounts, not the console. If a Wii U breaks, someone shouldn't just lose all of their games. Or if and when Nintendo releases an updated version of the Wii U(like Sony and Microsoft's upgraded PS3s and 360's over the years), they should be able to upgrade to those new consoles without having to buy the games all over again. It is absolutely nonsensical to tie games to a single console when the license is user based.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

@Worcanna said:

What if you spend a few hundred dollars on digital games for your Wii U and it gets broken? Or stolen?

EDIT: Or what if Nintendo releases a new and improved Wii U and someone wants to sell their old one and put money towards buying the new one?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hailinel

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

@Vitor said:

They could potentially fix it with a firmware update. There are a number of things that could be fixed with firmware updates, actually. But seeing as this is only an issue for second-hand consoles, it could potentially be fixed before it becomes too damaging. I can't imagine that the second-hand Wii U market is very large at this point.

Sure, this could all be fixed by firmware, will it? This is Nintendo we're talking about.

It's also not the Nintendo of five years ago. Judging the hardware, software, or firmware experience of the Wii U based on the Wii is somewhat foolish given that the difference in their online experiences is like night and day. That's not to say that something will be done to correct it, but the possibility is there.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

WHO WANTS TO SWAP CONSOLE. Once you're done with the game mail that shit back OKAY

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

@Vitor said:

Sure, this could all be fixed by firmware, will it? This is Nintendo we're talking about.

It's also not the Nintendo of five years ago. Judging the hardware, software, or firmware experience of the Wii U based on the Wii is somewhat foolish given that the difference in their online experiences is like night and day. That's not to say that something will be done to correct it, but the possibility is there.

The WiiU lacks both major and minor features of the X-Box's online repertoire and managed to launch with a more broken online experience than the PS3. Message boards for individual games is too little, too late.

And those features would be...?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

@Vitor said:

The WiiU lacks both major and minor features of the X-Box's online repertoire and managed to launch with a more broken online experience than the PS3. Message boards for individual games is too little, too late.

And those features would be...?

• Award System
    • Cloud Saving
    • Profiles & Storage
    • Built-in VOIP

to name a few major ones... The things it does happen to have, that the Wii lacked, are nothing special in 2013. Also, the ham-handed way that WiFi works on Nintendo devices and the lack of Ethernet port just add insult to injury.

Achievements and trophies are pointless. Cloud saving is unnecessary and can be a hindrance if the cloud is busted, the Wii U supports individual user profiles, games support voice chat, and the console has a video chat application.

Your argument isn't exactly blowing any doors down here. Also, it doesn't cost a subscription for the ability to play games online.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hailinel

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

Achievements and trophies are pointless. Cloud saving is unnecessary and can be a hindrance if the cloud is busted, the Wii U supports individual user profiles, games support voice chat, and the console has a video chat application.

Your argument isn't exactly blowing any doors down here. Also, it doesn't cost a subscription for the ability to play games online.

Achievements and trophies provide an interesting new way to play games, that otherwise may not have been apparent and are a fun feature. Cloud saves; are you really saying that in 2013, we shouldn't expect things to talk to each other? Have two game devices, where's my saves? Oh, that's right Nintendo. Can I export my save files reliably? No, 'cause Nintendo. Games support voice-chat, after buying 3rd party doohickeys and jumping through hoops, you know, things that'd discourage developers from coding-in voice... I'd readily pay Nintendo money to create a better, online, experience and Sony for that matter.

What's your boggle?

Achievements and trophies can also be easily abused and turn into pointless e-penis measurements. Sure, they can be fun, but they're not necessary and add nothing of substantial value to games. Cloud saves are unreliable; all it takes is one technical issue on the server or over the network to prevent you from accessing your save data. Just ask Brad. He had issues with his Xbox 360 cloud saves earlier today.

Also, it really isn't "jumping through hoops" to buy a compatible headset to engage in voice chat.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

Achievements and trophies provide an interesting new way to play games, that otherwise may not have been apparent and are a fun feature. Cloud saves; are you really saying that in 2013, we shouldn't expect things to talk to each other? Have two game devices, where's my saves? Oh, that's right Nintendo. Can I export my save files reliably? No, 'cause Nintendo. Games support voice-chat, after buying 3rd party doohickeys and jumping through hoops, you know, things that'd discourage developers from coding-in voice... I'd readily pay Nintendo money to create a better, online, experience and Sony for that matter.

What's your boggle?

Achievements and trophies can also be easily abused and turn into pointless e-penis measurements. Sure, they can be fun, but they're not necessary and add nothing of substantial value to games. Cloud saves are unreliable; all it takes is one technical issue on the server or over the network to prevent you from accessing your save data. Just ask Brad. He had issues with his Xbox 360 cloud saves earlier today.

Also, it really isn't "jumping through hoops" to buy a compatible headset to engage in voice chat.

Achievements and trophies are added value to me, they allow you to wring more of the game's content out whilst making things more challenging. Headsets that are not able to be plugged into a stereotypical controller and functionality that could be pulled anytime if Nintendo deems it so. Everything regarding Nintendo's products require you to "jump through hoops".

Achievements and trophies don't add challenge to a game that wasn't already there. A search for "Wii U headset" on Amazon brought up a page of results rather easily and took me all of three seconds. Hoops, indeed.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

@Humphreys said:

@Hailinel said:

What's your boggle?

Achievements and trophies are added value to me, they allow you to wring more of the game's content out whilst making things more challenging. Headsets that are not able to be plugged into a stereotypical controller and functionality that could be pulled anytime if Nintendo deems it so. Everything regarding Nintendo's products require you to "jump through hoops".

Achievements and trophies don't add challenge to a game that wasn't already there. A search for "Wii U headset" on Amazon brought up a page of results rather easily and took me all of three seconds. Hoops, indeed.

Did you read what I said?

So, let's take a game where it's common for people to play whilst chatting; Black Ops 2. Okay, i've bought this 3rd party headset, where do I plug it in, the classic controller? Ha no, I have to plug it in that huge tablet which already has a built-in Microphone.

That microphone isn't particularly conductive to chatting during the heat of gameplay.

Also, change your avatar. It's January.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.