Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

The wii-u seems like a flop in my area.

• 75 results
    JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JZ

I wanted to see the crowds of console launch people today. So I drove around to a: gamestop, walmart, kmart, and best buy and didn't see anyone. Each place had stacks upon stacks of Wii-Us, I had low expecations but not this low. Is the Wii-U sold out in your area? I'm swimming in Wii-Us over here.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

A flop right now, I take it. Not a flop in general.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By Castiel

You gotta love the internet: It's been out for like to seconds and it's already a flop.

Yep!

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

Man, it's sold out everywhere I called today.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

I work at WalMart . Came into work today at 11am. Everything was sold out. We have a few copies of ZombiU and Transformers Prime left but that is it.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JZ

@castiel I did say in my area I didn't say completely jackass.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

I think all of them are sold out in my town.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By tread311

I went out shortly after most of the stores opened this morning and came away empty handed.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By toowalrus

I'm not ready to call the WiiU a flop, but I am glad I didn't go out of my way to pick one up just to flip on eBay. When the PS3 launched at $600, some of my classmates were re-selling them for like $1000. Course I was 16 and didn't have a bunch of extra cash to spend...

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By zor

Why would you drive around to see lines?...I know you are trying to troll, but this is just sad.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Zekhariah

It is sold out in my area, although if you went into a couple stores within 10 minutes or so of them opening you could get a basic model one.

Pre-orders seem to be the majority of the volume (best buy had them stacked in their pickup area when I had went in this morning, and there had been a midnight launch event). Although it is difficult to say how well this console will do overall. At the least I think it will do okay, even if it ends up running 3rd string. At this point I'm actually happy with mine; although I am still wondering why they limited the basic one to 8gb of all things.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

Anecdotal evidence. Let's wait for the NPDs next month to see if it met expectations. Of course, the real proof will be how it performs 6 months from now.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpudBug

I was at a toys r us for their b1g1 40% off deal and a best buy to pick up my pre-order, both had about 2-4 basic systems left.

It's all anecdotal, so one person sees one thing, another sees something different.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JZ

Because it's fun to see events like console launches happen. It's called people watching, like bird watching. I drove around and watched lines for the new iphone too.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpudBug

well all it means is that people in your area didn't show up at launch day to buy them. not really thread-worthy.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JZ

Well if we are going by whats thread worthy every forum would be blank

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BradBrains

@TooWalrus said:

I'm not ready to call the WiiU a flop, but I am glad I didn't go out of my way to pick one up just to flip on eBay. When the PS3 launched at $600, some of my classmates were re-selling them for like $1000. Course I was 16 and didn't have a bunch of extra cash to spend...

don't be that guy

peteace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By peteace

I called several places today, and everyone was sold out.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus

@Darkstalker said:

@TooWalrus said:

don't be that guy

If being that guy involves me having some petty cash to fix the busted seat in my car and that weird belt noise, I'm willing to stand in the cold for a few hours to do it.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kindgineer

@Castiel said:

You gotta love the internet: It's been out for like to seconds and it's already a flop.

Yep!

@yoshimitz707 said:

Man, it's sold out everywhere I called today.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By laserbolts

Odd I've never heard of anyone driving around to see lines before. It's completely sold out around here but things are always sold out around here.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Weird seeing them be sold out everywhere, well that is expected i guess, but like the OP there is a whole stack of them in my local store...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

I doubt it'll be sold out for long, I don't think Nintendo can afford to control supply like that nowadays, they're just going to make and sell as many as they can.

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By positrark

Like MIchael Pachter has said. They will sell out this season, because they started production late and because of the holiday rush. The success of this console will not be clear until at least next year. Chill out.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By murisan

I'm actually kind of annoyed that this system isn't more of a flop. It deserves to BE a flop, from this stream, but instead I get the bad feeling that Nintendo will continue to think they're doing shit right. Jesus.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By project343

I don't know a single person IRL who is buying one. And I'm friends with quite a few gamers. Anecdotal, but I think that's all the evidence I need.

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By positrark

@murisan: It'll get what it deserves. If Nintendo has made a product people will buy, then by definition of economic success they've done the right thing.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Ben_H

They are still available here. I am contemplating getting one. Once December hits they will be very hard to find. Though I'm in no rush because I'm just getting it for Pikmin anyway.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By azteris

@Zor said:

Why would you drive around to see lines?...I know you are trying to troll, but this is just sad.

@SpudBug said:

well all it means is that people in your area didn't show up at launch day to buy them. not really thread-worthy.

I love how defensive everyone with a red name is to the IDEA that the Wii U isn't lighting the fucking world on fire.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Fearbeard

I stopped by my walmart after work at about 12:30am and they had 2 standard units left. It's a college town though and all the students left for Thanksgiving or else it would have been long gone.

I bought one but can't decide if I really want it or not

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@Fearbeard said:

I stopped by my walmart after work at about 12:30am and they had 2 standard units left. It's a college town though and all the students left for Thanksgiving or else it would have been long gone. I bought one but can't decide if I really want it or not

Not worth it your losing out on an extra game (Nitendoland) and about 24 gb of internal memory for about 50 dollars savings. From what I've seen online the Deluxes are pretty much sold out while the regular ones are still in stock. Think those people who don't follow games as much aren't going out in droves for the Wii U while those who do purchased the deluxe.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32  Edited By mike

@project343 said:

I don't know a single person IRL who is buying one. And I'm friends with quite a few gamers. Anecdotal, but I think that's all the evidence I need.

I don't either come to think of it.

I have no intention of buying a Wii U at this time, but I'm not really the target audience for this thing anyway.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Wii U sold out, at the store I work at, in the first hour. To be fair there were only 10 units available.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By algertman

I had 12 preorders and cancelled them all. I'm getting 7 WiiU's in the mail tomorrow and I'm instantly sending them all back. I'll just stick with my Vita.

Yorkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Yorkin

I'm in a big American city, and it seemed to sell out everywhere by mid afternoon around here.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By McShank

all 4 gamestops near me, both Super walmarts and my fred meyer's were all sold out for the past week they said due to the amount of pre-orders.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ApolloBob

Maybe you could be a little more specific about where your area is? I'd be curious to know where the WiiU's are plentiful. The norm seems to be that they are in short supply or sold out, which I expected anyway. Nintendo tends to ship low quantities so they can get the free publicity of being one of the "Hot New Hard-to-Find Xmas Items" in the news.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By algertman

@ApolloBob said:

Nintendo tends to ship low quantities so they can get the free publicity of being one of the "Hot New Hard-to-Find Xmas Items" in the news.

Prove it.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fearbeard
    @I_Stay_Puft

@Fearbeard said:

I stopped by my walmart after work at about 12:30am and they had 2 standard units left. It's a college town though and all the students left for Thanksgiving or else it would have been long gone. I bought one but can't decide if I really want it or not

Not worth it your losing out on an extra game (Nitendoland) and about 24 gb of internal memory for about 50 dollars savings. From what I've seen online the Deluxes are pretty much sold out while the regular ones are still in stock. Think those people who don't follow games as much aren't going out in droves for the Wii U while those who do purchased the deluxe.

The memory doesn't mean anything to me since I'll be using an external drive I have. The game also doesn't matter to me, and is something I'd never buy so I'd rather have the savings anyways. My issue isn't with the skew of console I got but if I need the console at all.

After watching the ZombiU quick look and reading some reviews I'm really interested in that game now.
    Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ducksworth

It was sold out 3/4 places I went today that could have had one so I wouldn't say it flopped. It's still early and most of the sales are probably from Nintendo die-hards so it's kind of hard to judge what the perception of the general public. From what I saw today a number of people had no idea what it was or that it was coming, on the flip side while I was purchasing my not WiiU I would ask the cashier how they felt about it and many of them usually had a story along the lines of "oh my son/daughter/nephew/neice/etc. has been really wanting one. Being able to play while someone else uses the TV is really cool.". Make of it what you will but it looked like they were doing fine.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Peanut

Both the Best Buy and Wal-Mart (where I pre-ordered) were turning people away when I turned up around 8 am this morning, but both were well stocked on games. I went out again 7pm and dropped in on another Wal-Mart and their Wii U section was ravaged. A few copies of ME3 and Batman were all they had left.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TruthTellah

I didn't buy a Wii U today.

THE WII U SEEMS LIKE A FLOP in my home.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JZ

@apollobob: michigan

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Karkarov

Just your area OP. At my local gamestop I asked how it was doing out of curiosity and they told me their initial shipment sold out the day it came in and their second shipment did the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@algertman: Sounds like a sound marketing strategy; if it is true then its most definitely not only Nintendo that does it though.

Spectrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Spectrea

All consoles will sell at the beginning right? Everyone wants the new thing so im surprised its not sold out everywhere, plus you add in the nintendo fans who want it and i think it will do pretty well at first - the problem is a few months after christmas. The other two consoles coming out and games primarily, im a pretty big nintendo fan myself but even so i am getting frustrated with shovelware and first party games - or games that i have not played, granted i know they sell well so it will continue, but can it be successful again with the same formulae after that minor miracle?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kishinfoulux

Sold out everywhere around me. I really want one. I keep checking online at various retailers, but still no dice. Anybody know of anyone that's getting them in stock online soon?

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By algertman

@kishinfoulux said:

Sold out everywhere around me. I really want one. I keep checking online at various retailers, but still no dice. Anybody know of anyone that's getting them in stock online soon?

Black Friday. I'm sure stores will have some. Good luck.

Freelancer52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Freelancer52

I'm not sure yet. I haven't seen too much excitement for it, but I think people should give it a few weeks before saying its a flop or not. At lest until the holiday are over.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By colourful_hippie

@PenguinDust said:

Anecdotal evidence. Let's wait for the NPDs next month to see if it met expectations. Of course, the real proof will be how it performs 6 months from now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.