Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Transferring Wii U data

AndyLonn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi bomberfans, I need help

I bought 8gb Wii U about a month ago, and hooked up an old 250 gb HDD to it for extra storage.
    Since then I bought a lot of Wii U content, which I guess can be downloaded again from the E-Shop, But I've also
    transferred data from my Wii to the Wii U.

With Metroid Trilogy taking up 7 gb, and the Wii U games often taking up more than that, I'm worried that 250 won't be enough in the long run.
    So I have a 2tb external HDD available, but I'm worried that I might some of the data, specifically the Wii stuff, if I try to just copy the data from one HDD to another.

Anyone have a solution to my conondrum?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

The licenses should still be on the Wii U no matter what hard drive is hooked up to it.

Try it out. Copy everything to the 2TB without wiping the 250GB.

AndyLonn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, after some testing: Turns out the Wii data is saved on the local storage on the Wii U. So that's the good news. The bad news is that the drive format that the Wii U uses can't be detected by a Windows PC. So I'll have to transfer the saves I have on mye eternal drive to the local drive, and then redownload the games afterwards

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah not sure why you were saving on your EHD? The Wiiu's internal memory is intended for game saves specifically. It typically only downloads games to the EHD unless you manually went in and forced it to save to the EHD. If your saves aren't on the EHD all you have to do is swap to the new one and redownload your games. In other news where did you even find a 250GB EHD, much less one that actually had it's own power cable? Finding a powered EHD now less than 2TB is hard, finding one less than 1TB is basically impossible.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DocPorpoise

you can have two usb drives plugged into the wii u at the same time but only for the transfer of data between them. it will ask you to unplug one if you try to boot to the wii u menu.

i used this.

AndyLonn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov: The HD is probably about 10 years old ^^. but if the saves are on the Wii U as you say, There is no problem at all. Thanks man

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.