Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

UK Wii U advert banned due to misleading public

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By egg

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2013/01/17/uk-wii-u-advert-banned-due-to-misleading-public/

'' “The ad referred to a number of features of the Wii U console and GamePad, including being able to shoot at the TV using the GamePad, switching gameplay to the GamePad if someone else wanted to use the TV and using the GamePad to zoom in on targets, enter key codes and interact with the surroundings in the game,” the regulatory body writes.

“The ASA considered that it would be clear to consumers that many of these features would not be available in all games. However, we considered that the option to switch gameplay to the GamePad controller could be available on all games, and as this was a new console consumers would not have an awareness of whether this was something specific to individual games or a general feature of the console. ''

It's not too late, Nintendo! Make off-TV play standard!

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By frankfartmouth

Man, the UK really cracks down on advertising sometimes. I remember them pulling the FFVII ads because they used nothing but cutscene footage. Here in the States, advertisers can say just about anything short of promising it will cure leukemia.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Wolfgame

I remember reading about this a while ago. I think they made the best possible decision for there markets concerns. If advertised features are not in a majority of the systems capabilities any other selling point may misguide customers.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Cameron

I wish advertising laws were like that everywhere. I can't stand misleading ads.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By I_smell
    @frankfartmouth: Well y'know, it can only be a good thing. 

I think any ad depicting the Wii U as something worth buying is misleading, BOOOOOM!
    frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By frankfartmouth

@I_smell said:

@frankfartmouth: Well y'know, it can only be a good thing. I think any ad depicting the Wii U as something worth buying is misleading, BOOOOOM!

I think it's definitely a good thing. I wish they'd do a little more of that out here.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By zyn

@I_smell said:

I think any ad depicting the Wii U as something worth buying is misleading, BOOOOOM!

Oh snap!

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By ManMadeGod

@Cameron said:

I wish advertising laws were like that everywhere. I can't stand misleading ads.

Well, the Wii U does contain those features. There's really no reason to believe the system supports play-on-gamepad for every game as the ad never makes such a claim. Consumers should be held responsible to do a bare minimum level of research.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By JoeyRavn

@ManMadeGod said:

@Cameron said:

Well, the Wii U does contain those features. There's really no reason to believe the system supports play-on-gamepad for every game as the ad never makes such a claim. Consumers should be held responsible to do a bare minimum level of research.

I agree, but, hey. We're talking about the masses here. I wonder if a small clarification like "Not all features may be available on all games" would suffice. Like they do for "online experiences may change" and stuff.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

This is kinda old news.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @I_smell
    @frankfartmouth: Well y'know, it can only be a good thing. 

You are RUINING your chances of No Time To Explain being on Wii U lol.
    Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cameron

@ManMadeGod: Sure, that's true, they don't make that claim, but I can see someone being disappointed to find out that only certain games support one of the console's main features. I don't think this case is particularly egregious, but some video game advertising is pretty sleazy. Advertising games with anything but in game footage stands out to me as particularly sleazy.

Avatar image for thevideohustler
    TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By TheVideoHustler

The UK is for jerks.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By egg

I got an idea for an ad for Nintendo.

"With the WiiU, if someone wants to use the TV, all you have to do is stop playing, exit the game, swap the game disc in the WIiU console to one that supports off-TV play, and now you can play on the gamepad!"

"Just switch game!"

"it's so easy!"

"This is the future. Stop playing and swap game disc and start playing New Super Mario Bros Mii. SEAMLESS"

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MetalGearSunny

That's pretty awesome!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sooty

@ManMadeGod said:

@Cameron said:

There's really no reason to believe the system supports play-on-gamepad for every game as the ad never makes such a claim. Consumers should be held responsible to do a bare minimum level of research.

It does not say per game nor does it give that impression.

So there is plenty of reason. They are saying you can switch to the gamepad to play your games, but hardly any games actually support it.

What part of that are you misunderstanding?

I thought the Wii U had gamepad display for all games as a standard feature until this news sprung up.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@JoeyRavn said:

@ManMadeGod said:

@Cameron said:

I agree, but, hey. We're talking about the masses here. I wonder if a small clarification like "Not all features may be available on all games" would suffice. Like they do for "online experiences may change" and stuff.

I kind of agree with both and you. An individual would be downright foolish not to do some rudimentary research on any major purchase these days, but Nintendo could have avoided this by just including a disclaimer of sorts. Overall though I would blame the consumers more than Nintendo in this case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.