Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

What Are The Must Have Games For The Wii U?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thatpinguino  Staff

Hey duders,

I'm strongly considering getting a Wii U for Splatoon and some of the other co-op games available on the platform. I have a significant other that I like playing games with; but, she doesn't have a ton of game playing experience so I think the Wii U's more accessible titles will help bridge the gaming gap in a way that the other consoles have not up till now. Also we only have one screen in our living room so having the option to play on the controller would be a big win for our ability to each engage with our own entertainment at the same time. I haven't really delved into a Nintendo game since the Gamecube days so any advice on good titles to pick up would be appreciated. I'll include HD remakes and downloadable games because I missed a lot of classic Nintendo titles over the years.

So in short: co-op is a huge plus, remote play is nice as well, and I could use some help finding the classics that are now available for the system.

Any help would be wonderful!

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't really found anything as far as co-op, given that most co-op games tend to require quite similar skill levels from players in order to be fun, but Affordable Space Adventures seems really cool, and the asynchronous co-op could be easier to swallow than something like Super Mario World. Also Chariot, maybe?

I played Wind Waker first on the Wii U and it blew me away, so even if you played it back in the day it might interest you. It looks fantastic, and plays very well on the Gamepad too. As far as other must have games are concerned, Zombi U comes to mind, and if you're into action games I'd recommend Wonderful 101. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate seems like it's a really good version of a Monster Hunter game, and looks pretty nice considering it's basically a Wii port, though I haven't played any online yet, and only about 20 hours of the singleplayer.

Pikmin is super cool, though I don't imagine it being worth the price for the multiplayer alone.

My girlfriend recently finished A Link to the Past on the Virtual Console, after having hacked away at it for the better part of the year, and I can't recommend that game enough to people who need a primer in video games. It's basically the proto-game, that contains everything that we see in games today. Just remember to make liberal use of the save/restore system in the dungeons.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

3D World, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8,Smash Bros, Splatoon, Wind Waker HD if you haven't played it on GameCube.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Colourful hippies list is great. I would add Wonderful 101 to it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Tropical Freeze is another really good one that hasn't been mentioned yet. Aside from that, I think all the good ones that I've played have been mentioned (though I will re-emphasize Bayonetta 2).

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thatpinguino  Staff
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

Pikmin 3. NintendoLand.

I'm hoping to grab more this summer but those are the best two I own.

Jaws12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jaws12

One suggestion I would give when playing co-op with players that have less gaming experience is to utilize the Team functions of games. For example, in Super Smash Bros., instead of fighting against each other, you can team up as a pair against tough CPU characters. That way it matters less if one person dies multiple times and if you both lose, you lost together and have the impetus to try again and beat the challenge as a team. I have utilized this strategy to great effect when playing with my younger nieces/nephews. It helps to avoid the concepts of sore winners/losers and everyone has a greater feeling of accomplishment when the team succeeds.

Furthermore, hell yeah you should buy a Wii U for Splatoon, that game is great (I think my favorite part of it so far is the soundtrack)! I wholeheartedly commend your purchasing decision. I splurged myself yesterday and also bought the Splatoon theme on my N3DS; I just couldn't resist the song!

"One more thing" (said in Jackie Chan Adventures Uncle-voice, if anyone gets the reference), in terms of co-op games to recommend for the Wii U, you should definitely check out Rayman Legends. It has great co-op and again an awesome soundtrack. I have spent many hours playing this with friends and the Wii U version is the superior (and originally planned only) version of this game. Enjoy your Wii U! ^_^

PlayerPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rayman Legends makes cool use of the gamepad and is generally a fantastic co-op platformer.

I've also spent a whole load of time playing Nintendoland with friends. The vs. games might not hold up with less than three players but the Zelda minigame is really good with two.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I've enjoyed the VC I've gotten that I never got a chance to play before. Specifically Earthbound. Man that f'ing game. Also, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Sage, Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid, and the Zelda games were all really rewarding.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Wind Waker HD. Speaks for itself. You probably know if you want this or not.

Smash Bros and Mario Kart are great party and multiplayer experiences. Again, you probably already have opinions on whether these games are for you.

Pikmin 3. Like Pikmin 1, but different. A delightfully charming game, but the splitscreen co-op modes aren't great. Good singleplayer though.

Splatoon is at a budget price in the UK so it's easier to recommend but don't be fooled in to thinking it is a good co-op game. A single 1vs1 mode for local.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Zombie U is surprisingly good. Check out the Quick look if you're unsure.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-zombiu/2300-6810/

Sorry, Zombi U.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By InstantRyan

Co-op wise

• Mario Kart 8: Easy to ease your significant other through by starting at 50cc and working your way up as she gets more comfortable with tracks and controls.
    • Super Mario 3D World: Some of later levels can be difficult (Especially the special/extra worlds or trying to get every star/sticker) but another game that I think you guys could go through and hopefully not run into too many walls
    • New Super Mario Bros. U/Luigi U games: I haven't played these but it's another co-op option.
    • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze: I love this game but I'd be extremely hesitant to actually play this co-op if your significant other has limited game experience. It's a frustrating but rewarding experience that I'd recommend probably picking up just for yourself at first and then maybe delving into co-op later on.
    • Rayman Legends: Another excellent side scrolling platformer
    • Lego games: The co-op tends to be really good in these.
    • Indie Games: Trine 2 (Gorgeous game), Chariot, Affordable Space Adventures, The Cave, Child of Light

As for other general recommendations

• Bayonetta 1/2: Excellent character action games (A la Devil May Cry)
    • LoZ: Wind Waker HD
    • Super Smash Bros. 4
    • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker: This doesn't have co-op but is an extremely cute and relatively easy game (Some difficult parts) that is something I think she could get behind.

All of these should support off-tv play. There are more I could recommend (I didn't even list classic Wii games that are on the eShop like Metroid Prime Trilogy or Super Mario Galaxy) but this is a solid starting point to look at for the Wii U.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

@thatpinguino: Super Metroid is up there. I'm not sure about Ocarina though I'd recommend going for the 3DS version over a virtual console version IF possible, as the N64 graphics look really rough.

On the virtual console I'd strongly recommend playing Minish Cap if you've never played it. It's one of the best 2D Zelda, it's not super hard and would be a perfect fit for playing on the tablet.

While not strictly co-up, treasure tracker can be a good two players mode, as you can figure out the (fairly easy) puzzles together.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are alot of great recommendations here already, I just came by to say don't overlook Zombiu.

It is a classic that uses the game pad to brilliant effect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.