Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

What are your thoughts about the Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Personally im disgusted with the amount of peripherals I just saw, plus the name is quite terrible (but I'll get used to it I guess). Controller looks all right not sure it would comfortable for hardcore games. What do you think about it?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

Looks awesome to me, the possibilities with that controller are ridiculous, also peripherals are always completely optional so....

The notion of buying a game for an console and being able to play the whole full thing on the controller in my bed sounds awesome to me. 

this years E3 is pretty much Nintendo>>>>Sony>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MS

Kinda bummed it's not called the Nintendo though, Wii U is a stupid name but fuck it, it looks awesome

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By SMTDante89

Well I think they're getting huge third party support this time around, which a lot of people have wanted for a long time.

Minifig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Minifig

Nintendo just won E3.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By herocide

Stupid name, but holy shit it looks awesome. All that third party support looks amazing. Battlefield 3 on WiiU!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By mrfluke
    bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By bassman2112

I don't know yet... I haven't seen anything that really makes me think 'THIS IS THE NEXT GENERATION'

This is (as predicted by the bombcast) a really big DS to me. The graphics are indeed better, but not amazingly so (though that bird demo was cool)

A lot of the game footage looked either amazing (metro, ninja gaiden) or crappy (the stuff with miis, etc)

I'm on the fence...

I think Sony was way more effective

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By TehFlan

Stupid name, but the system itself seems awesome. Looking forward to its release.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By MjHealy

I thought the Wii was fine and I was kinda over bad system names (a la Vita) but Wii U is truely awful name.

The system itself actually looks pretty cool. Things were looking dodgey for a while in the actual game department but they wheeled out all of those PS3/360 games and it convinced me, kind of. I shall adhere to the old adage of "only time will tell".

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MisterMouse

I am kind of underwhelmed actually... sure those are some solid games there but with out any hardware specifics (I am assuming there is an actual new piece of console hardware not just the controller that they showed) it is hard to get excited for it.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ

Screwed up the name again, and I was hoping to see some more games, but did you see those short little zelda clips, with him fighting the giant spider? Whenever they actually get around to making a new Zelda game for it, its going to look amazing. 

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexW00d

That was the biggest load of bullshit I have ever seen.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Barrock

Ken Levine is on board. I'll ride that train.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rhaknar

lol they announce a ps3/360...for 2012, and they win e3? oh man...

Its going to be outdated 1 year, 2 years max after it comes out. Its the Wii all over again as soon as next gen games start coming out and need to be ported DOWN

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Yanngc33

eh

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By phish09

I thought it looked amazing.  Everything is dependent on price though.  If this thing launches for under $300, they will sell like hotcakes, but that controller looks like it has some crazy tech in it and did you notice they didn't talk storage at all?  It's gotta come with a hard drive built in right?  What kind of console doesn't come with a hard drive?  And when is this thing coming?  I mean if games like Arkham City and Assassins Creed: Revelations are going to be released on it, that would tell me this pretty much has to be out for the holidays, if not significantly sooner. 

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By crazyleaves

Fuckin' rad! Haters gonna hate.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeffsekai

that controller is ass. Playing games with that thing is going to be a massive pain in the ass.

nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nywt

I think that the potential is incredible. The console seems to be at least as powerful as an Xbox 360 or a Playstation 3 and the new controller could lead to some incredible gaming experiences. I'll still wait to see how developers implement it though, before I think of throwing down any amount of money. 

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By tofford

The 3rd party stuff impressed me. The name is horrible. I can't decide on the controller until I hear some impressions.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eclipsesis

Personally i love new hardware whatever it is and how it controls, i'm a little dissaponted that they didn't seem to show the actuall console, or give details on the specs of the machine. Again a little disspointed that they gave no details on what must be a new in developement Zelda or possible HD skyward Sword, but who cares i saw it and thought it looked cool 
    KarmaPoliceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KarmaPoliceman

I really want the specs for this.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rhaknar
    @phish09 said:
    I thought it looked amazing.  Everything is dependent on price though.  If this thing launches for under $300, they will sell like hotcakes, but that controller looks like it has some crazy tech in it and did you notice they didn't talk storage at all?  It's gotta come with a hard drive built in right?  What kind of console doesn't come with a hard drive?  And when is this thing coming?  I mean if games like Arkham City and Assassins Creed: Revelations are going to be released on it, that would tell me this pretty much has to be out for the holidays, if not significantly sooner. 
    holiday 2012? sure

if you mean holiday 2011...no. did you not see the conference (or read the internet for the last month or so?), its a 2012 system. Those games you mentioned will be 1 year late or so by then
    pizzapotomus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By pizzapotomus

Is it a new system or just a new controller. I couldn't tell.

poltergeist13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By poltergeist13

WTF....that's all I have to say about it really.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#26  Edited By Danteveli

I have similar size tablet and holding that stuff for like half an hour is painfull. Does that mean couple hours gaming sesions will come to an end?

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By trace

Looks like we have two conversation topics on "what do you think about the Wii U?", so let's condense all the conversation into this thread. Thanks!

Demon_Sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Demon_Sandwich

I think its a great idea. Its crazy but hear me out. there are some people that can only own console and has family that wants to play games together. you get the wii u becasue you can have the complex games you want alongside the family games nintendo can make. for the people not in the know they buy the wii u and they dont have to own both a 360 or ps3 and wii u. for the people on this site. will probably have all 3 so its not a problem. but for some this is a break through

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.