Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

What is a good external hard drive for Wii U?

dumptruck05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looking for suggestions on a external hard drive for Wii U

suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By suikoden352

Same here. My fiancé wants to play xenoblade chronicles, but we need more space to play it. We don't want to have to delete stuff.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought a Wii U, and have not opened it, does it have USB 3.0 to just plug a flash drive / hard drive? Did not know u could install games on External HD

suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By suikoden352

Usb 2.0 if I remember right. The wii u will recognize the added storage and adapt to it but I think it can only be 2 TB or lower

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Quantris

Nintendo has a recommended list here: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1359/~/what-external-storage-devices-can-be-used-with-wii-u%3F

The main takeaway from that is that bus-powered drives (IOW those that don't come with a separate power cable) are not recommended. Though I've read that people have had success using them with a "Y-cable" (which lets the drive pull power from both USB ports instead of just one). There have definitely been reports of varying success with powering off one port, either because the WiiU doesn't consistently deliver 500 mA on the USB port or because the drives are more power hungry than USB 2.0 spec.

I also found this blog post https://www.pretzellogix.net/2015/05/30/the-best-hdd-for-the-nintendo-wii-u-is-a-120gb-ssd-in-enclosure/ which gives a very specific setup that apparently works well (using a smaller SSD but probably big enough for WiiU digital content for most people). I haven't tried it but the guy seems pretty on the ball and like he's tested it fairly thoroughly.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it seems like the Hard Drives that come with the A/V cords are like huge in storage space, I was thinking of only getting like a 500 GB, did not think that I would need a giant one for a Wii U

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I got the 2TB Seagate STCA2000100 listed on the Nintendo page and it has been fine for me.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

When I was looking for more space, I found the Seagate 2 TB Desktop Drive to be the right choice for me. At the time, it cost $100 on Amazon. It connects to the USB port on the Wii U and has its own external power cord. I have noticed that after turning off the Wii U, the Desktop Drive will stay on and communicate with the Wii U when the light color is orange on the Wii U instead of red. Nintendo has recommended that you leave the Wii U on for at least 5 minutes before you take the power from the wall (in case you are moving the Wii U from room to room). I think it's the same thing for a Desktop Drive, too.

The Desktop Drive is used just for the Wii U and can't be shared for other things. I have found that having the extra storage is awesome for when I want to download new games from the eShop. The games that are stored on the Desktop Drive can be seen on the main loading page of the Wii U menu and are really easy to find. They are fully installed and ready to play.

The Desktop Drive has been a good find for me and it's the one I recommend too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.