Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wii U Arrives in United States on November 18

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Nintendo of America has announced a release date for Wii U in the United States, and it's November 18. It doesn't launch in Japan until December 8, but Nintendo launched the original Wii first outside of Japan, too.

There are two sets. The basic set includes a Wii U, Game Pad, Game Pad charging cable, AC adaptor, HDMI cable, sensor bar and 8GB of memory. The "deluxe" set also includes 32GB of memory, a Game Pad charging cable, Game Pad cradle, a copy of NintendoLand, and enrollment in a premium service on Nintendo Direct, where you earn points for each purchase and can redeem them later for other purchases.

The big question? Price. It's $299 for the basic set, and $349 for the deluxe set.

As for big game announcements, Nintendo is publishing (funding?) Bayonetta 2 with Platinum Games, Monolith Soft is making a new game, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is coming to the platform, and there's a new Monster Hunter. Well, "new." Monster Hunter Ultimate (Monster Hunter Tri G U in Japan) is based on the 3DS game, and the save data will be interchangeable between the two platforms. It's available at launch in Japan, and March everywhere else.

Project P-100, also from Platinum Games, was easily one of the most exciting Wii U games at E3, and that's been renamed The Wonderful 101. Spoiler: still looks awesome. Epic Mickey 2 will also be receiving a Wii U upgrade, and Activision made the clutch announcement of Skylanders Giants. Nintendo didn't discuss the NFC features baked into the Game Pad, though, so one might expect that will still have a separate device to scan the characters in.

Nintendo broke down the hilariously large "launch window" for Wii U, as well: November 18 until the end of March. Besides New Super Mario Bros. U and NintendoLand, the company wasn't confirming release dates, but since Pikmin 3 isn't coming out until next spring in Japan, I wouldn't expect it over here this year, either.

No Caption Provided

In America, Nintendo spent the most time going over its big media initiative, Nintendo TVii. It aggregates content services--Amazon, Hulu Plus, etc.--and allows users to search, track, purchase, and play content from them on the Game Pad and the TV. There's a neat dynamic between the Game Pad and TV, too. The Game Pad takes screen captures of what's happening on TV, and allows users to comment and share on Facebook and Twitter. You also have access to your DVR through the Game Pad, though right now, that seems to mean TiVO-only devices.

Nintendo TVii launches alongside the device this year, but only in the United States and Canada.

The company also unveiled a strange interface for Nintendo TVii. Maybe it'll make more sense in our hands?

No Caption Provided

Over in Japan, there were some big announcements that should guarantee some folks on day one (like, say, 8-4). In addition to an even more deluxe package that comes with a Pro controller and a copy of Monster Hunter Ultimate, anyone who buys the premium version of the console also gains an invite to the upcoming beta for Dragon Quest X.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Nintendo of America has announced a release date for Wii U in the United States, and it's November 18. It doesn't launch in Japan until December 8, but Nintendo launched the original Wii first outside of Japan, too.

There are two sets. The basic set includes a Wii U, Game Pad, Game Pad charging cable, AC adaptor, HDMI cable, sensor bar and 8GB of memory. The "deluxe" set also includes 32GB of memory, a Game Pad charging cable, Game Pad cradle, a copy of NintendoLand, and enrollment in a premium service on Nintendo Direct, where you earn points for each purchase and can redeem them later for other purchases.

The big question? Price. It's $299 for the basic set, and $349 for the deluxe set.

As for big game announcements, Nintendo is publishing (funding?) Bayonetta 2 with Platinum Games, Monolith Soft is making a new game, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is coming to the platform, and there's a new Monster Hunter. Well, "new." Monster Hunter Ultimate (Monster Hunter Tri G U in Japan) is based on the 3DS game, and the save data will be interchangeable between the two platforms. It's available at launch in Japan, and March everywhere else.

Project P-100, also from Platinum Games, was easily one of the most exciting Wii U games at E3, and that's been renamed The Wonderful 101. Spoiler: still looks awesome. Epic Mickey 2 will also be receiving a Wii U upgrade, and Activision made the clutch announcement of Skylanders Giants. Nintendo didn't discuss the NFC features baked into the Game Pad, though, so one might expect that will still have a separate device to scan the characters in.

Nintendo broke down the hilariously large "launch window" for Wii U, as well: November 18 until the end of March. Besides New Super Mario Bros. U and NintendoLand, the company wasn't confirming release dates, but since Pikmin 3 isn't coming out until next spring in Japan, I wouldn't expect it over here this year, either.

No Caption Provided

In America, Nintendo spent the most time going over its big media initiative, Nintendo TVii. It aggregates content services--Amazon, Hulu Plus, etc.--and allows users to search, track, purchase, and play content from them on the Game Pad and the TV. There's a neat dynamic between the Game Pad and TV, too. The Game Pad takes screen captures of what's happening on TV, and allows users to comment and share on Facebook and Twitter. You also have access to your DVR through the Game Pad, though right now, that seems to mean TiVO-only devices.

Nintendo TVii launches alongside the device this year, but only in the United States and Canada.

The company also unveiled a strange interface for Nintendo TVii. Maybe it'll make more sense in our hands?

No Caption Provided

Over in Japan, there were some big announcements that should guarantee some folks on day one (like, say, 8-4). In addition to an even more deluxe package that comes with a Pro controller and a copy of Monster Hunter Ultimate, anyone who buys the premium version of the console also gains an invite to the upcoming beta for Dragon Quest X.

Link43130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Link43130

How much will another one of those controllers cost, I wonder.

MolluskLingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MolluskLingers

RIP Nintendo

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Wait, the standard version doesn't come with a charging cable for the gamepad? How are you supposed to charge it then?

Dudders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dudders

Just realised this could parallel the 3DS. Its a better system all round, with a gimmick you can ignore.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

They aren't including a game with it? WTF Nintendo? I could spend that money of the games I want coming out this year and they havent shown any decent games for that thing.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NathanStack
    No Caption Provided
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#8  Edited By isomeri
    bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigdaddy81

Called the $350 price point for the Deluxe version. Little surprised they didn't go with $250 for the Basic.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Link43130 said:

Only 1 works with each Wii U i think...

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By brandino

$349 version for me.

Words can't describe how excited i am.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think they've overpriced it. I will still buy one because I am crazy.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By nohthink

Wow 300 and 350 huh? 
    That is more expensive than PS3... I was not expecting that. And I thought they learned their mistakes from 3DS...

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By godzilla_sushi

8 GB, ouchies. Not sure how far that's gonna get you....

Slow_pC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slow_pC

@MattyFTM: It does come with a charger (lists AC charger for each) on the slide.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By MormonWarrior

For a brand-new console, $350 sounds reasonable. I mean, the premium PS3 and Xbox 360 are still $300 so this makes sense.

Slow_pC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slow_pC

@Link43130: They will be selling them separate , I believe it will be around 99.99

Gangway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Gangway

only 32 gbs on the "deluxe" version, how quickly is that going to fill up, or will they release bigger versions later on

if not, it will have the same problem the Wii had

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

@MolluskLingers said:

RIP Nintendo

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By guanophobic

And in Europe?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#21  Edited By isomeri

@MormonWarrior said:

For a brand-new console, $350 sounds reasonable. I mean, the premium PS3 and Xbox 360 are still $300 so this makes sense.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if MS and Sony would cut prices before November.

EDIT: Nintendo TViiiiiiiiiiiii. Seriously?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By wrighteous86

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

They aren't including a game with it? WTF Nintendo? I could spend that money of the games I want coming out this year and they havent shown any decent games for that thing.

The Premium package comes with Nintendoland. You know, that game no one wants?

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bane122

I can sense Alex cringe at some of the forced humor on display at the event. It's as if a thousand Nevarro's suddenly cried out in terror.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Mijati

November 30th in Europe, no price announced by Nintendo (check with retailers apparently)

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By goatmilk

Not bad for a brand new console considering the next PS & 360 will probably be pushing $500. There's no question they'll be over $500 in Australia. Hell, The WiiU will probably be $500 here.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RE_Player1

Man I kind of bought the 3DS for myself and my brother because I felt sorry for Nintendo but I just can't do it anymore. So long Nintendo, looking forward to seeing your games on the next Playstation and Xbox.

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By WJist

I would have guessed that on price. Think the cost of games will stay the same though? I can see games with WiiU tablet controls going for an extra $5 on top of normal cost.

BNB82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BNB82

I was hoping that they might explain why I should buy this and what makes it better than the current generation of consoles.

originalgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By originalgman

Only reason I'm considering picking one up is because I'm leaving my Wii with my parents, and this is supposed to carry over all your purchased Wii digital content. But without any games that I give a rat's ass about at launch, I can probably hold off til next year.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Reggie, I'm not pleasantly surprised at all...

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dropabombonit

That is too much money, you could get a PS3/360 with a handful of great games for that price

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#32  Edited By MormonWarrior

Nintendo TV....ii? They just couldn't help yourselves, could they?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RE_Player1

People are confused about the price but I'm more confused about the entire system as a whole.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

"Dad" loves how sassy Ellen is.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    No Caption Provided

@familyphotoshoot:

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By Hailinel

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Link43130 said:

Two can work, but it's also an expensive peripheral and would likely inflate the price of a bundle significantly.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NathanStack

@CrossTheAtlantic:

No Caption Provided

decko5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By decko5

The $300 is meant to not be bought, you get so much more for $350. I think they just wanted to say hey look we were able to price it at $300.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mikey87144

8GB and 32GB? How can you claim, "yeah we're into people downloading games", and yet offer so little space. Think in terms of xbla/psn games. That's 3 dlc games on the standard model, (remember when companies list the HDD space the device usually takes up some space for the OS), and 12 on the premium one. That's not even including patches, DLC for retail games and DLC games. Lets not forget that Nintendo claims to be offering all retail games as day 1 digital buys. WTF. Six years ago when Sony released their PS3's the cheapest SKU had 20GB. That was six years ago. Microsoft and Sony both offer models starting at more than 100GB for less than the price if the Wii-U. That pathetic HDD space is a big middle finger to small game makers.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Milkman

Goddamnit Nintendo...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By toowalrus

Not outrageous. Show me the games and I'll show you the money.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By linkster7

I DONT NEED YOUR CANDY!

BNB82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BNB82

Watching this only makes me anxious to see what Microsoft and Sony will do in the next year.

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By brandino

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Did they include a game with 360/PS3? No, why does Nintendo have to? Because Wii did?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrKlorox

What about the price of the pro controller? That's the only thing I'm interested in.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I said in the Japanese launch news post (probably more appropriate here,) for 350, they'll have to have some really awesome games at launch to sell me on it before. 250 was more what I was looking to pay. (Not even considering getting the 300 dollar unit, 8GB is just... man. Not like 32 is good, but at least it'll have some room for a few digital games.)

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WasabiCurry

I still cannot understand the purpose of the Wii U. The premise of the pad and just HD graphics are not very good selling points to me. I am just hoping that Nintendo is not shooting themselves in the foot when Microsoft and Sony will announce a next generation console. Or the mythical "Steam Box" comes into reality to push these three to a next generation platform.

I grew up with Nintendo; had fun times in my childhood and only wish them the best. Sadly, I will be saving up my money this go around for a new Gaming PC.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sirdesmond

I won't be surprised if this is Nintendo's last console. I just don't see this thing doing anything but failing miserably (unfortunately).

erobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By erobb

@MattyFTM said:

Wait, the standard version doesn't come with a charging cable for the gamepad? How are you supposed to charge it then?

Apparently the 3DS XL doesn't come with it's own charging cable either, right? I guess selling half of what you need is Nintendo's new cost cutting strategy...

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By yukoasho

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Link43130 said:

Two can work, but it's also an expensive peripheral and would likely inflate the price of a bundle significantly.

They're saying two can work, but we've seen nothing in terms of two-pad games. I can't help but wonder how much bandwidth that thing's chewing up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.