Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wii U is anyone behind this thing? yes or no and why.

• 113 results
    D_train_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By D_train_lives

Ok I will start this with saying I Had a gamecube and loved it,but I skipped the wii and didn't feel like I missed a thing it had the same 3 games that everyone buys there systems for. And looking at the Wii U and listening to what developers are saying I just can't get behind this thing it confuses me the Graphics won't compete with PS4 or the Durango and it doesn't have a real Gimmick like the Wii did. And them not launching with the only thing that sells there consoles, Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros sounds like there not even trying. Can they really count on people buying this thing just because there Nintendo and thats what people do?

Seastalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Seastalk

I'm behind it because if the Wii was any indication of Nintendo's support for RPGs/JRPGs on their platform, then this new console shall suck up a lot of my time.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mtcantor

I'll buy one, then I will hate myself for it a year from now.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sissylion

No. Literally no person will support or purchase the Wii-U.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I'm a Nintendo fangirl through and through...but no.

I've lost faith, Nintendo and me have grown apart.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thechronodarkness

Really all depends on price. See.... the wii at 250$ at launch was overpriced. Considering japan got it for 180$, it made matters worse. But the wii isn't as powerful as the xbox 1, but its more powerful than the ps2 and gamecube. Nothing matched doom 3, chronicals of riddick, or half life 2. Even the far cry port looked terrible.

And if you read articles, the wii u is in the same situation. Its more powerful than the single core ps3, but its not quite the triple core processing juggernaut the 360 is. So its all relying on the screen and exclusives to sell it.

You can get a 160gig ps3 for 220$ easily new. The 360 is 199, plus 40$ for a 120gig hard drive. So 250$, and the wii u will sell and I'll buy it on launch. But its going to likely be 299$, where it'll sell decently to make a profit. But I don't see it selling like the original wii did. I'm not buying it at 299$ until a killer app is out. Mgs4 was the only reason I bought a ps3 at launch, and is the only reason for me to still have one. But its worth it

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'm behind it insofar as I will eventually own one once there are games that I want for it. Also IIRC they are launching with a Mario game right?

All I really need are Smash, Rhythm Tengoku, and maybe a snazzy new Metroid or Zelda and I'll be happy with my purchase. Throw in a Monster Hunter and the errant JRPG or two and I'll be over the moon.

D_train_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By D_train_lives

them trying to court 3rd party Devs is really confusing to me since the Wii U will still need downgraded versions of there games in 2 to 3 years

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FritzDude

eh.

D_train_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By D_train_lives

@thechronodarkness: thats what im saying do you think Zelda can really sell a whole console this time?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By SSully

@thechronodarkness: Last time I checked the ps3 and 360 are pretty equal in terms of power. Also the ps3 isn't a single core system.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the price they announce on the 13th, I guess

Link

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Not even a little bit. It will just be the same OLD franchises we've seen time and time again with gimmicky controls. That and mini game collections. Guhhh!!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

No.

Mario is fun but his games alone are not worth buying a system for. Zelda games only come out every so often and out of the ones I've played, I can see why they might be fun but I never found myself wanting to come back to them. Metroid games are great but Retro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing another one of those and Nintendo doesn't seem to want to do one themselves, so I don't see that series going anywhere. I don't like Smash Bros. much at all. Anything else Nintendo makes, I don't have much interest in. Anything else that's going to be on the system is either going to be shovelware or is going to be on other systems and look better on those other ones.

...so, unless Nintendo produces something that is a literal game-changer on the level of Super Mario 64 and/or I win the lottery, I don't see myself getting a Wii U.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

Not really, mainly because there aren't too many games that interest me.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MAGZine

@D_train_lives said:

Graphics won't compete with PS4 or the Durango and it doesn't have a real Gimmick like the Wii did. And them not launching with the only thing that sells there consoles, Mario Zelda Smash Bros sounds like there not even trying. Can they really count on people buying this thing just because there Nintendo and thats what people do?

If graphics were any indication of what you should buy, I'm not sure why people would bother with consoles at all! The PC offers--always has, always will--superior graphics capabilities, and is more readily upgrade-able than a console. With a PC, there is no reason to buy either of the PS4 or the Xbox, so, if you ask me, if I were to buy a next-generation console, why would I buy anything but the Wii U, since the other consoles are just PCs in a small, pretty package. At least the Wii U has a selling points--that being Nintendo's franchises and the tablet. I'd rather have the option of these things than not. All the better since they're offering a pro-style controller.

Best part? You know it's going to be competitively priced.

Mastercheesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Mastercheesey

Yes because I want Rayman Legends and I'm an idiot who buys everything ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I don't care in the slightest, none of the games interest me that have been announced for it because they're not interesting or already exist on a console I already have. Ask me again in two years when the price drops and a Zelda is out.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By kindgineer

I guess I'm behind it. If the console can get enough games worth my time - I don't see a reason not to go and buy one. However, I'm not silly enough to purchase one out of faith or fanboy loyalty.

D_train_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By D_train_lives

@MAGZine: I game on console because PCs are expensive and all my friends have consoles so I can game with them. but the reason I don't get there game plan is because they want the same 3rd party games as PS and xbox and in a few years they won't even be in the same market anymore it will be like the Wii is now.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeanFoster

I'd consider it when it gets a Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 calibre Mario game.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MAGZine: Acting willfully ignorant of what the PS360 and their soon-to-be successors offer does not make a compelling case for the Wii U, it just makes you look stupid. 
    Avatar image for divineshadow777
    DivineShadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DivineShadow777

I bought the Wii and I haven't touched it in years. But I will not stop believing in Nintendo I almost hated myself for buying a PS3 I felt like a traitor. Even though it took till the end of the Wii's launch to put out some of the best games on the system I don't care. I'm gonna stay strong and true as a Nintendo Fanboy Forever!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

The main reason I want a Wii U is to see what Mario, Zelda, and whatever else exclusive Nintendo series we all know looks like.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thatdutchguy

I think the Wii-U will flop because the price will be too high and because everyone is waiting for the next-gen Playstation and Xbox. 

Mass effect 3 and Batman arkham city are launch games for the Wii-U, and they are sequels to games the Wii crowd probably never played.   

But who knows ,it could be a great console once they have a great zelda and Mario game.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MAGZine

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: What? a "premium" paid experience? Halo? A tiny limited friends list? Limited, un-upgradable graphical capabilities? Expensive games with sales being few and far between? Updates for games being few and far between due to expensive draconian update policies by platform providers?

Nintendo time and time again tries to innovate and do something more than just pack hardware into a box. WiiMote. Tablet. DS. 3DS. You're actually buying something more than a little PC in a box. Please, enlighten me how, except for keeping your involvement into an ecosystem that you and your friends invested into, these consoles are worth any money relative to a PC?

Nintendo's platforms are always reasonably priced and are worth the buy because they at least offer a different experience. On the other hand, I guess Xbox and PS did give you Kinect and Move. What a blessing that was.

D_train_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By D_train_lives

@MAGZine: Bro this isn't PC vs the World this is Wii U or no Wii U we know PC Rules all blah blah blah

kilikafinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kilikafinal

It has potential but ill wait a few years for major titles to be released and see the general consensus on how the wii u plays.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BraveToaster

No. I have yet to hear or see anything that amazes me about the Wii U.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I skipped the Wii so I guess I might Pick it up to play some older and new games, even still that's not that many games.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#31  Edited By Icemael

Sure. Some of the already revealed games look great (Pikmin 3, P-100, ZombiU) and I fully expect developers to do incredible stuff with the screen-on-the-controller feature.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MAGZine

@D_train_lives: I agree, but I'm not sure you can discuss buying one next gen console while separating the other out of the conversation. So my answer is IF I am to buy a new console, why wouldn't I buy a Wii U over it's next-gen competitors?

I'm just trying to inject a bit of variety into the Giantbomb echo chamber.

I have no problem writing a completely baseless argument just to get people thinking. This argument isn't baseless, but there is way too much repeating of the same, recycled opinions eternally borrowed from someone else.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Never had a Nintendo system, and probably never will. So no!

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MAGZine said:

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: What? a "premium" paid experience? Halo? A tiny limited friends list? Limited, un-upgradable graphical capabilities? Expensive games with sales being few and far between? Updates for games being few and far between due to expensive draconian update policies by platform providers?

Nintendo time and time again tries to innovate and do something more than just pack hardware into a box. WiiMote. Tablet. DS. 3DS. You're actually buying something more than a little PC in a box. Please, enlighten me how, except for keeping your involvement into an ecosystem that you and your friends invested into, these consoles are worth any money relative to a PC?

Nintendo's platforms are always reasonably priced and are worth the buy because they at least offer a different experience. On the other hand, I guess Xbox and PS did give you Kinect and Move. What a blessing that was.

Ok, I see you have trouble viewing things impartially. I'll explain it clearly. 

Games. Good ones. There are lots of them on PS360, ones that I can't find anywhere else (Vanquish, Red Dead Redemption, Tales of Graces, Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4, Journey, Trials - just to name a few that I've played over the past few months. These consoles also offer access to multiplats that, yes, look better on a more expensive PC.  

For the asking price of £200/300, many consumers are more than happy enough to sacrifice some graphical prowess to have access to these multiplatform games at an acceptable standard. Is this hard to comprehend? I like movies, but I have realistic money and time limitations in which to enjoy my hobby, so I do not spend £3000 on the latest tv and home theatre set up if I deem the return on that investment isn't worth the cost. I spend the money on what fits my needs and tastes most - as does everyone essentially. 

As for Nintendo's approach to innovation you listed , this is all in the realm of hardware. I love the DS, I love the touch screen integration, I love Nintendo for that. The Wiimote? Utter failure. What a horrible, horrible experience I had with that system and its games, the very first Nintendo system I have ever sold back and abandoned for other platforms. To me motion controls are a failed promise, nothing more. I am similarly unexcited about the 3D in the 3ds - it adds very little to the games and very few have used it in a compelling way, but haven't given up on it yet . 

So as for Nintendo proving it  'time and time again tries to innovate and do something more than just pack hardware into a box' - please at least recognize that the value of this is fiercely subjective. I could add a toilet seat to a games console and call it innovation, there is nothing inherently good in that word. I, for one, am far more excited by software innovation that is bred from more powerful hardware and well put together online features and ideas, than Nintendo's new breed of hardware innovation (glasses free 3d.....a controller with a touch screen....).  

As for reasonably priced, I feel differently. Nintendo are pretty much the only company in the game that doesn't sell their hardware below cost.  
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By crusader8463

I was really excited for it around E3 time after seeing Zombie U. Then when I thought about it for awhile I realized it would boil down to playing a shooter with a controller and that's always a terrible experience because I hate playing shooters with controllers. Since then I have not been able to get interested in it as I have not seen anything else for it that looked interesting.

So that said, I will revert to my tried and tested rule of waiting until the platform has at least 5 games that I can not get anywhere else before even thinking of buying the platform. That aside, getting a new PC takes priority over anything the dam consoles can do as that will always be my platform of choice and it's been about 5-6 years since I bought this beast and it's just now getting to the point that I can't run every new game at high settings.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By GJSmitty

Well yeah, it's just a controller for the Wii, right?

I kid, but there are way too many people that believe that. And no, I'm not getting it, because nothing about it interests me.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By Dagbiker

@D_train_lives: I fell sorry for you, because you missed out on the best Silent Hill game, ever.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Quarters

No. I can't stand Nintendo. Haven't enjoyed any of their main franchises since the SNES. Actually, never enjoyed them then either. Just liked their third party support. They just do nothing for me.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By Dookysharpgun

I'm not backing it. I've learned from the Wii that Nintendo are too far behind the curve to make a console with a decent life-span, that'll be competitive and worth my money. On top of that, with Zelda and Metroid, the new super smash bros game and maybe a handful of other titles on the menu, they've got nothing to offer me.

People hate the HD argument, but really, Nintendo's lack of forward thinking really shot them in the foot...I own a HD tv, and I can only use a component cable to play the game without getting a massive headache. Even then, the games still look dated, and not in the good, acceptable sort of way. The Last Story suffered from huge frame rate and level loading issues, and that was an exclusive title.

I don't care what Nintendo do now, I got the motherhumping Gamecube, and I loved that console more than the Wii, despite the sheer lack of games...but what few games I could buy for it, were worth it. The Wii barely put out new titles that didn't require motion+ or the like, and I can only imagine that there'll be a whole array of issues with the WiiU's controller too, seeing as it has a pile of bells and whistles.

Besides that fact, you've got the old 3rd party titles, and new ones promised for it...but just like the 3DS, more than likely, most of them will be pulled due to extra work or something stupid like that. I loved Nintendo, but I've seen the same shit play out in the last gen that's going to play out in the next, and even if Nintendo survive...it'll be by the skin of their teeth, yet again. I'm just not in the mindset anymore to back a company that doesn't even try to think a few steps ahead, and see what the consumer might need in the future, so I'll give this one a miss, maybe buy a 3DS if TWEWY 2 comes out, but then again...who knows?

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Same answer for any of the new consoles, no.  Reason is that I simply do not care to make a new purchase.  I have dozens and dozens of games left to play on the Xbox 360. 

Hell, I might even pick up a wii or ps3 when they are super cheap.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Draxyle

It is hard to get very excited about it. They're launching with a Mario game, but the same copy/pasted Mario game they've released several times already. There's Pikmen, but I never touched its predecessors. Nintendoland was just another typical minigame collection. It just feels like there's just nothing truly substantial from an artistic perspective to get me pumped.

P-100 and ZombiU were honestly the most interesting things on the horizon, but they're still fairly unknown quantities. I just hope they still have in-house developers that still know what they're doing, but a lot of the JP gaming industry in general has got me tilting my head a lot these last few years.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MAGZine

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@MAGZine said:

Ok, I see you have trouble viewing things impartially. I'll explain it clearly.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not necessarily mean impartiality. So, before you start making accusations, you should make sure that such a case exists. I think my value statements regarding the cost and benefit of the consoles is accurate.

Games. Good ones. There are lots of them on PS360, ones that I can't find anywhere else (Vanquish, Red Dead Redemption, Tales of Graces, Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4, Journey, Trials - just to name a few that I've played over the past few months. These consoles also offer access to multiplats that, yes, look better on a more expensive PC.

Every console has it's own exclusives. That's why they're called exclusives. I'm not sure why you're singling out the PC in a Wii U discussion (I was merely using it as an example of why I wouldn't buy other next-gen consoles), but since you are, it is worth noting that the PC arguable has the largest exclusive catalogue thanks to indie titles. Every platform has "Games. Good ones." Including Nintendo. Saying "Well, I don't like Nintendo's franchises," is fine, but just remember that this applies specifically to you, and has no impact on the actual merrits of the system. If you want to take a look at game ratings, Nintendo usually holds 10-20% of the top 20 games list to themselves, IIRC. Add to that the new top selling multiplatforms.

For the asking price of £200/300, many consumers are more than happy enough to sacrifice some graphical prowess to have access to these multiplatform games at an acceptable standard. Is this hard to comprehend? I like movies, but I have realistic money and time limitations in which to enjoy my hobby, so I do not spend £3000 on the latest tv and home theatre set up if I deem the return on that investment isn't worth the cost. I spend the money on what fits my needs and tastes most - as does everyone essentially.

Your cost argument is moot on both the PC and Wii front. PC gaming has been shown on this form time and time again to be more economical, and Nintendo's consoles are generally cheaper. Unless if I'm missing something here...

As for Nintendo's approach to innovation you listed , this is all in the realm of hardware. I love the DS, I love the touch screen integration, I love Nintendo for that. The Wiimote? Utter failure. What a horrible, horrible experience I had with that system and its games, the very first Nintendo system I have ever sold back and abandoned for other platforms.

Shame. But I don't see how this impacts the Wii U.

So as for Nintendo proving it 'time and time again tries to innovate and do something more than just pack hardware into a box' - please at least recognize that the value of this is fiercely subjective. I could add a toilet seat to a games console and call it innovation, there is nothing inherently good in that word.

Please don't downplay Nintendo's efforts by comparing to adding a toilet seat to a console. This is ridiculous and you know it. Read your silly statement again. Do you really believe that's a correct thing to say? I'll at least give Nintendo props for the effort, rather than sitting stagnant in an industry.

I, for one, am far more excited by software innovation that is bred from more powerful hardware and well put together online features and ideas, than Nintendo's new breed of hardware innovation (glasses free 3d.....a controller with a touch screen....). As for reasonably priced, I feel differently. Nintendo are pretty much the only company in the game that doesn't sell their hardware below cost.

Making money on != reasonably priced. It is totally up to Sony and Microsoft if they want to pack $1000 of hardware into a box and sell it for $500--but just know that they are going to make that money back from you, be it through a subscription, through accessories, or through games. As for your "software innovation" can you give me some examples that Sony or Microsoft have done with their consoles? I'm not sure that I understand the things you're getting at here.

I've owned the Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 and also owned a PS2 and various earlier Nintendo consoles. As far as I'm concerned, unless if you're looking to play multiplayer with friends, the PC will offer a superior gaming experience to the Xbox and PS. The only reason Nintendo doesn't get steamrolled by the PC as well is because it actually offers some innovation and hardware that you can't buy for your PC. There is actual method to the madness.

I realize that PC vs Console debates are done to death, and doesn't need to be another one. So I'll ask again. What would compel you buy a PS4 or Durango over the Wii U? Just that you don't like PC gaming and would rather have a that particular experience? That's what you think... I'm just trying to figure out what makes these consoles so damn compelling.

--

TLDR: It seems to me people feel that the Wii U is garbage for having "not good enough graphics", but console owners seem to ignore that their own platform appears to have the exact same issue. Sort of like a double standard. If graphics are what you are concerned about, Sony and Microsoft's offerings shouldn't even enter the equation.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Phatmac

As long as it has Rayman Legends then I'm curious.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RE_Player1

I got burned on the Wii so no.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By Dalai

Yes, but I'd like to see more games that I'd like to play. I'll be getting that Mario game for sure, but they need to announce some new stuff.

D_train_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By D_train_lives

@Dagbiker: which one would that be?

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CooVee

I'm just going to wait for the next Playstation.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Franstone

I will buy it because I must.

Zombie-U doesn't look half bad either.

We all know the Nintendo greats are going to come, I don't want to miss out.

See if you can resist a new Zelda or 3D Mario game, I dare ya...

: )

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By Dagbiker
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HydraHam

Yes.

Why? Because i actually enjoyed the Wii and the tablet looks like it can do some unique and interesting things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.