Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wii U with integrated Android OS? Is that what you want?

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contrarian

French site Nintendotown has posted a new batch of Wii U rumours, one of which is rather plausible due to previous comments made by Nintendo.

First up is the rumour that a new Metroid is in the works for the console and is being built using Unreal Engine 3. This is plausible, and the site says a tech demo of the game was shown in cooperation with Nintendo’s Retro Studios. At least, that is what we gleaned from the Google translation.

Another rumour the site noted which was posted on Adweek, was that Nintendo is in talks with various partners regarding video on demand services. Wii owners can already watch Netflix offerings on the console, but this rumour implies a built-in application on the console’s dashboard similar to Xbox 360 and PS3. Like the aforementioned rumour, this one is definitely plausible considering Nintendo has been hinting around at such content. Still, the firm has been a bit evasive so expect to hear more about the UI and apps at E3.

The final rumour posted in this little round-up was in relation to news the firm has integrated Android OS on Wii U. This one, we’re not really sure about, and honestly find it extremely far-fetched. Then again, in the world of gaming news, nothing really surprises us anymore.

That is the latest rumours. For me, the Metroid one is far more interesting as I buy a games console to play games. This could be a very special Metroid we will see. However, the unlikely one about Android OS is probably a good talking point. I don't do Android, so it means nothing to me. Does it many anything to you? Does it matter or would it be an awesome addition if true?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jack268

I doubt it. Nintendo has always had this "We only make games for consoles we made ourselves" thing, and if it used Android, I'm sure there's a whole boatload of built in limitations that maybe wouldn't mesh with their games. That is, unless they are allowed to basically modify it in anyway they see fit. I don't know if Google would be down with that though.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Let me be the first to say the Android OS sucks. Also that sounds very un-Nintendo like.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Nintendo's move to release all their upcoming 3DS/Wii games digital is pretty bold of them.. but I don't see them suddenly partnering with Android, especially if that meant Nintendo games appearing on Android phones. I'm sure a lot of people would love to be able to get virtual console games on there, but it would instantly destroy one of the biggest selling points of Nintendo systems. If it's just Nintendo using Android UI's.. I guess it could happen, but why?

The Metroid news would be amazing though, even if Retro are only involved and not straight up developing it. Anything would be a step up from that Team Ninja "Metroid" game.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By selbie

I'm open to the idea of using Android, but considering Nintendo's track record, they like to keep everything in-house. It's a viable move though when you consider Apple is essentially their rival. What if Android isn't for the Wii U, but for their next handheld device?

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Contrarian

@selbie said:

I'm open to the idea of using Android, but considering Nintendo's track record, they like to keep everything in-house. It's a viable move though when you consider Apple is essentially their rival. What if Android isn't for the Wii U, but for their next handheld device?

I would have thought their next handheld is so far away - 4 years maybe - that it wouldn't for that. Too much would change before then. I assume based on Nintendo business style this is very unlikely. I still don't really understand what it would mean, not being familiar with Android (I'm Macman)

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

Everything sounds plausible except for Android OS.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

@Jack268 said:

I doubt it. Nintendo has always had this "We only make games for consoles we made ourselves" thing, and if it used Android, I'm sure there's a whole boatload of built in limitations that maybe wouldn't mesh with their games. That is, unless they are allowed to basically modify it in anyway they see fit. I don't know if Google would be down with that though.

As long as the terms of the license are followed, Google will have no problem with it. Nintendo did obey the licenses for the open source code used in the 3DS browser, and I trust they'd do the same if the Android rumour were true.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iamjohn

So where did this story come from, aside from some random French site no one has ever heard of?

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Contrarian

@iAmJohn said:

So where did this story come from, aside from some random French site no one has ever heard of?

Who knows with rumours John. That is why we should always be sceptical. Some things take a life of their own and most turn out to be false.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

@iAmJohn said:

Coming from a random French site no one has ever heard of is what gives it credibility. Random French sites have a pretty good track record.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By JasonR86

I think it's actually kind of a cool idea. Also Retro working on another Metroid would be fantastic.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By GS_Dan

I was hoping the Vita would run on Android. I don't feel so good about a home console though.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

I've been seeing this Android rumor pop up all over the place. I'm sure the tablet would only be able to stream from the console, but it is an interesting idea. Makes me look forward to E3 even more. The leaks have begun.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By selbie

@Contrarian said:

@selbie said:

I would have thought their next handheld is so far away - 4 years maybe - that it wouldn't for that. Too much would change before then. I assume based on Nintendo business style this is very unlikely. I still don't really understand what it would mean, not being familiar with Android (I'm Macman)

From what little I know, the 3DS has had poor sales relatively speaking, so a new handheld might only be 1-2 years off (based on the assumption Nintendo want to quickly break the stigma of lost profits). Also if you consider Android being a direct competitor to Apple's iOS (or at least the closest competitor so far), then you can see a logical progression occurring. An android based handheld could be essentially the equivalent to the iPod Touch, with the ability to use apps alongside Nintendo's own gaming services and functionality.

freewilly5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By freewilly5

Let's not forget that Nintendo made an operating system for Google, so the companies are closer than most people think.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LordAndrew
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.